Lumia Camera on Denim vs Lumia Camera Classic

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Must be nice to have Lumia Camera. Us Lumia 830 owners bought the phone with the promise of the new Lumia Camera. Yet, here we sit months later still waiting for the app.

It baffles me that the phone that was ANNOUNCED and used to show off the new camera features DOESN'T YET HAVE IT - while a phone that came out 6+ months ago gets it first? Wtf is that all about?

Fire all the idiots running the Lumia division now. Hire people who know what the hell they're doing...

bseuivafom

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Must be nice to have Lumia Camera. Us Lumia 830 owners bought the phone with the promise of the new Lumia Camera. Yet, here we sit months later still waiting for the app.

It baffles me that the phone that was ANNOUNCED and used to show off the new camera features DOESN'T YET HAVE IT - while a phone that came out 6+ months ago gets it first? Wtf is that all about?

Fire all the idiots running the Lumia division now. Hire people who know what the hell they're doing...

Plus you won't get 4K recording. 'So much for the 'affordable flagship' phone ha

Srsly a 'flagship' needs to be a 'flagship', and an 'affordable flagship' needs not to be 'slightly above entry level in a nice case' especially for what they're charging for it. The current models are totally out of whack and the 1520 is the only thing that's actually come out on time in relation to the rest of the market.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
With flash on, like you said, exposure time goes to 1/10, 1/12 etc. So 1/4 exposure can't be the issue. However, if you look into it you will see how L1020 can take low light stills effortlessly. This is thanks to the xenon, which emits a stronger and faster light. Xenon has the power to "freeze" the moment, while LED only lights up the scene a bit.

But i agree with you, taking phone pictures in a club without flash is useless, no matter what phone you have.

Yes, Xenon is much better than LED, but I still don't think it's related with power, only better quality.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

What? Even Lumia 830 was not announced with new features. You are making a big mistake here. Stop crying for nothing, sooner or later you will receive the update. MS only announced Denim Update for later on December 2014 or 2015 begin.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
What? Even Lumia 830 was not announced with new features. You are making a big mistake here. Stop crying for nothing, sooner or later you will receive the update. MS only announced Denim Update for later on December 2014 or 2015 begin.

They presented the Lumia 830 with the camera. And sas it will be available.

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the actions shot has been moved into Lumia moments. You can create one while editing a video now... In 4k even. So while it is kind of hidden, they look much better.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I just start playing with the new lumia camera and is lightning fast, still I miss the smart sequence and the ability to change faces, at least I cant find it on the new camera app

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I made another thread, but figure this probably fits well here too. Its a walkthrough and Cyan/Denim comparison I made this afternoon.

galbenush

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
lucas.scott what app did you use in the photos from that video, Lumia camera classic in Cyan and Lumia Camera in Denim ?

My results seem different from yours, flash portraits from close range, in low light using flash, seem to be very bad allot of times when using Lumia Camera, making the subject's face very colorful with yellow spots. (using Lumia Camera Classic i get much better results because of no post processing )

Some scene shots look better, but the high contrast processing is very visible when photographing people, sometimes making the shot clearer and sharper, and other times ( most of the times ) making it look darker and unnatural. (with or without using flash)

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
lucas.scott what app did you use in the photos from that video, Lumia camera classic in Cyan and Lumia Camera in Denim ?

My results seem different from yours, flash portraits from close range, in low light using flash, seem to be very bad allot of times when using Lumia Camera, making the subject's face very colorful with yellow spots. (using Lumia Camera Classic i get much better results because of no post processing )

Some scene shots look better, but the high contrast processing is very visible when photographing people, sometimes making the shot clearer and sharper, and other times ( most of the times ) making it look darker and unnatural. (with or without using flash)

I actually used two different devices. One with stock camera in Cyan, and one on Denim with new Lumia Camera. There is no way around making a poor photo look good. I have seen several comparisons where people are using very poor lighting conditions. In those scenarios, its a toss up on which will look "better".

While I did take some low light shots in my video, there was still a good bit of natural light coming in from a side window. Trust me, if I close the curtains and take shots with both, they are both grainy and gross. However, I do find that the Denim update and new Lumia Camera takes significantly better shots in optimal scenarios. That is of course preference, because you are right. The new Lumia Camera definitely cranks the contract and bumps the sharpness. Im cool with that, since its something i thought my Windows Phones always lacked.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I just start playing with the new lumia camera and is lightning fast, still I miss the smart sequence and the ability to change faces, at least I cant find it on the new camera app

Ahem, isn't it in the new Moment Capture?
If no then someone at Microsoft forgot to move it from the Smart Mode :3

I noticed that people seems to forget that Smart Mode is now Moment Capture, or perhaps Microsoft forgot to emphasize about it...
Gotta re-watch that hands-on video again...

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site

Well, they demonstrated the Lumia Camera app on the 830 on its initial release conference. The 830 gets ALL the new features with the exception of 4k shooting, getting 2k instead.

The 830 also shipped with Denim pre-installed and Microsoft stated very clearly that the new camera updates were coming to the 1520, 930, and 830. so.... yea it WAS announced with the new features.

Your welcome to watch the press release if you would like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQXfYHb3A4s

galbenush

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
While I did take some low light shots in my video, there was still a good bit of natural light coming in from a side window. Trust me, if I close the curtains and take shots with both, they are both grainy and gross. However, I do find that the Denim update and new Lumia Camera takes significantly better shots in optimal scenarios. That is of course preference, because you are right. The new Lumia Camera definitely cranks the contract and bumps the sharpness. Im cool with that, since its something i thought my Windows Phones always lacked.

If you can get your hands on that cyan device again, i would be very interested if you could take some samples using the Lumia Camera Classic, both on Denim and on Cyan, just to see if there are new imaging algorithms or just the processing done by the new Lumia camera. Nothing special, just same scenes shot with both devices (on auto, or same settings) using Lumia Camera Classic on both to spot the differences, if any.

PS: I wanted a bit of more sharpening and a touch of contrast on the photos a long time, but i just feel that Lumia Camera uses them 2 much, and when taking portraits with flash, in low to no light, from close range, it ruins them by adding extra colors etc. And in low light (inside) and no flash, the contrasts make the subjects look unnatural.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb