Battery life running Denim

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I think a thread compiling your impression on battery life after upgrading your 930 to Denim would be really useful to all 930 users.

Please let us know if your battery life improved/worsened or is pretty much the same as on Cyan. Share some details about your usage type to make it more detailed.

Thanks in advance!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think good things to also note is if you've performed a hard reset since, what battery saver shown regarding usage...

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Too early for me to tell, as I have found it takes a few days to get a good feel.
But I do have my concerns about the "hey Cortana" feature.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I flashed my 930 to the Danish ROM in order to get Denim on December 27. It's been 11 days today since I flashed my phone and I have had enough time to fully test battery life under Denim.

When I was on Cyan I used to place my phone on my wireless charger each night around midnight with 30-40% battery left. I decided I would not charge my phone every evening and that I should try to see how long I can make my battery last without changing my smartphone usage habits.

During all this time I used my phone the same way i did under Cyan (4G, Wifi, Location services permanently on, Brightness set to Low, 1 Gmail account set to sync every 30 minutes, Whatssapp, Viber, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Tweetium, WP Central, Health and Fitness, Accuweather running in the background). I made 1-2 hours of calls per charge,occasional texting, checking Facebook and Tweetium on an hourly basis, checking my email and short intervals of Internet browsing. I did also game a little but for periods of time shorter than 30 minutes (Hill Climb Racing and Bejeweled Live+). During yesterday's charge I also connected my 930 via Bluetooth to my car's hands-free system for about 1 hour.

Here is what I found out:

- battery life is NOTICEABLY improved. I get an average of 24 hours of battery life. My longest battery life was 36 hours and I still had around 20% left when I placed the phone on my wireless charger. They seem to have done some serious tweaking to stand-by battery usage. During the night my battery drains 1% per hour or less.

- During gaming or browsing the phone runs cooler to the touch. It NEVER got hot or unbearably warm.

- I did experience battery drain a couple of days ago but It was quickly fixed as soon as I found out that my Gmail account was caught in a sync loophole. My advice would be to ALWAYS set your email account to check every 30 min or 1 hour instead of the default setting.

I can finally say I am truly happy with my battery life which seems to have doubled with Denim. I hope you guys get the same battery life once you receive Denim.

Attached is a screenshot with my battery usage
wp_ss_20150107_0002.jpg

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
It's nice to hear good news about battery life and the fact that the overheating is not present on your Denim device. Can't wait to get Denim on mine :D:D

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
It's nice to hear good news about battery life and the fact that the overheating is not present on your Denim device. Can't wait to get Denim on mine :D:D

Right now I'm at 42% after 25 hours and the battery should last until later during the evening.

I'm on Orange Romania and flashing the Danish ROM seems to be the best decision in my case. :)

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Right now I'm at 42% after 25 hours and the battery should last until later during the evening.

I'm on Orange Romania and flashing the Danish ROM seems to be the best decision in my case. :)

So, the Danish ROM works well? I currently also have 930 from Orange RO, and flashed German CV ROM but this does not have Denim available yet.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Battery life on my L520 gas always been good. Even after a year and a half it feels like it just came out the box 😊 Denim is great though. Very pleased with it phone runs smoother.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
The only issue is that the Lumia Camera 5 cannot reframe after you take the shot even though i have it set up to Jpeg (5mp +16 mp).This is most likely a bug.

I think this is intended. On the position where the reframe button normally was there is now the button for editing the rich capture shot. There would be the need for two buttons there which would look more cluttered than necessary.

However, you still can reframe the shots if you click on edit and choose creative studio as editor. It has access to the full res shot and a reframing option.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I think this is intended. On the position where the reframe button normally was there is now the button for editing the rich capture shot. There would be the need for two buttons there which would look more cluttered than necessary.

However, you still can reframe the shots if you click on edit and choose creative studio as editor. It has access to the full res shot and a reframing option.

Agreed. I'm experiencing the same thing.

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Can you share your settings? Is there something you have done (block an app from running in the background etc.) to make the battery last this long?

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Can you share your settings? Is there something you have done (block an app from running in the background etc.) to make the battery last this long?

I did share my settings in my first post...

I have Whatssapp, Viber, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Tweetium, WP Central, Health and Fitness, Accuweather running in the background. I blocked all other apps that were running in the background AND I did not use.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Battery life after Denim has also improved on my L930 also. I do have whatsapp, facebook messenger, weatherflow, cortana,hey cortana enabled, BT on for the 903 charging plate and battery lasts from this morning until next day at midday with moderate usage without gaming: facebook,emails,browsing,talking,messaging,weather checking etc. With gaming it is lasting with some hours less..

Gilad Meiri

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Even after Denim, when I play GTA San Andreas, the battery plummets quite rapidly. I know it's an intensive game for such a device, but other mobile phones handle this game much better.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the WhatsApp Beta program and they just fixed an issue with broadcasting. Since the latest beta my 930 has been holding up amazingly well. Started my 3rd day now with 44% and moderate use on WiFi. During the night there is no drain at all and 7 hours later the battery% is still the same, or 1% less. Before the update I could just get 2 days from the phone - let's see if this holds up over time. But if it does, the 930 would outperform the BlackBerry phones I used to have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills