Lumia 930 or Lumia 830

bsbharath1987

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
I about to buy a Lumia device. I wanted to get a high end model preferably. Due to the mammoth size I am not inclined towards 1520. HTC m8 isn't available where I live. So the choice boils down to 930. Now reading the Lumia 930 defects thread reveals scary things happening to the phone like overheating, screen lifting, etc.
Due to these reported issues, I've half a mind to invest in an 830 instead, and upgrade to 930's successor if/when it arrives.

What do you guys suggest? Are the issues reported on 930 not as widespread as it seems to be? Does Denim update resolve issues like short battery life or overheating? Or do you recommend buying an 830 and wait out for the next flagships?

Thanks in advance. I'm sorry if a similar discussion is going on elsewhere.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Actual the 830 is mid end and the 930 high end. And as you can see on WC both have issues. I have the 930 and no problems with it. But if you buy one of them be sure that you can change it if you find issues.
So just compare the specs and what you want to do with it and buy one.
For example the 930 had no glance screen the 830 has. But the 930 will have 4k video and "Hey Cortana" and the 830 not.

Waiting for the next high end can if you want to wait probably 6 to 12 month.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
830 has a glance screen, removable battery and sd card support, if you don't need these things, then get the 930 because the 930 is better in every other way.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Actual the 830 is mid end and the 930 high end. And as you can see on WC both have issues. I have the 930 and no problems with it. But if you buy one of them be sure that you can change it if you find issues.
So just compare the specs and what you want to do with it and buy one.
For example the 930 had no glance screen the 830 has. But the 930 will have 4k video and "Hey Cortana".

Waiting for the next high end can if you want to wait probably 6 to 12 month.

Lumia 930 is high end like the post said above me. The Lumia 830 is the 'affordable flagship' except the price. It virtually costs the same as the Lumia 930, yet has pretty much the same specs as the 735!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have bought my wife an 830 and as it's an Xmas present I have only had an hour or so to play with it, it's a very nice phone, my lad has a 930, it's a really nice phone and my lad as had no problems with his.

My only issue with the 930 is the lack of SD card support, some others moan about no Glance, but other than that it is a really nice quality phone.

With OneDrive you can put your pictures up to the cloud and delete them from the phone to keep from hogging space.

I have a 1520, if I didn't, I would be happy with either the 930 or 830.

You would have to decide if getting "Hey Cortana" and 20m camera is better than SD card support, but whatever you get you will be happy.

bsbharath1987

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all, for the really quick replies. I had used Lumia 720 in the past, and although it had Glance support, I did not find myself using it a lot; I'd rather double tap the screen to find pending notifications. Also, I find 32 gb more than enough for my usage, looking at how I use my phones in the past. It seems like the only thing holding me back from buying the 930 are the issues posted in forums here. For anyone reading the issues thread, a distinct lack of quality control in 930 is apparent, although in reality, it may not be so widespread.
However, it is entirely possible that the issues were something that affected the initial batches and the current lot may not have them.
Also, do you guys feel that going for 930 is better considering the long term support (windows 10 and beyond) and because it has 2GB of RAM.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
It seems like the only thing holding me back from buying the 930 are the issues posted in forums here. For anyone reading the issues thread, a distinct lack of quality control in 930 is apparent, although in reality, it may not be so widespread.
However, it is entirely possible that the issues were something that affected the initial batches and the current lot may not have them.
Also, do you guys feel that going for 930 is better considering the long term support (windows 10 and beyond) and because it has 2GB of RAM.

I've got the Lumia 930. No issues here, none at all. The Lumia 930 is currently the flagship phone. It will be supported a lot by Microsoft, and will be great for Windows 10

lbp775

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I've only had my 930 for a month but add me to the list of those who are not experiencing any problems. Lack of SD card is not affecting me as much as I thought. It's also my understanding that all windows phone 8 devices will get windows 10 so it shouldn't matter which one you get.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a 830 which I got the day it came out on at&t. Coming from a 822 it took me a few days to get used to its size. So far it's been great. Only issue I've had was the Search button not responding after I put a screen protector on it. Cutting out the bottom rectangle of the protector so the capacitive buttons are uncovered fixed that. The 830's camera is slouch by any means, it's very capable. Glance is such a nice feature to have especially if you use a wireless charging stand next to your bed at night. Battery life is I have to say really impressive.

DMCarver

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I have had zero issues with my Lumia Icon, which is basically a 930 customized for Verizon. Great phone... Wish it did have an SD slot but I really haven't needed it since I push photos up to OneDrive.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all, for the really quick replies. I had used Lumia 720 in the past, and although it had Glance support, I did not find myself using it a lot; I'd rather double tap the screen to find pending notifications. Also, I find 32 gb more than enough for my usage, looking at how I use my phones in the past. It seems like the only thing holding me back from buying the 930 are the issues posted in forums here. For anyone reading the issues thread, a distinct lack of quality control in 930 is apparent, although in reality, it may not be so widespread.

In any phone, there are issues. People who have perfect phones don't talk about it, so you're getting a pretty biased population sample here since for the most part, only those with issues complain about them.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I had both, the 830 and 930 for about two weeks side by side. Returned the 930.
The 930 is heavy and slippery. The 830 is the thinnest Nokia currently produced and not slippery like the 930.
My 930 had most of the problems you read about here, the color bleed, ran hot when used with CPU intensive app, horrible battery life.
The 830 has none of these problems and even thought the "specs" are less, I really couldn't tell much difference in speed between the two.
Specs are more for spec peepers, real world use is what's important, when you get right down to it to most people..
The price of the 830 has come down now also.
The removable battery and SD card support is a big deal to me. The lithium's loose capacity over time and the ability to easily replace it is great.
Yeah, you have OneDrive (and also Google drive) but that uses data, with the SD card no problem.
So for me, the 830 wins. I returned the 930 and have had the 830 for a few months now and no problems with it.

Fred

Iina the Magnet

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Lumia 930 for around a month now, and since denim came out all of my "problems" were fixed. Phone only warms up now, display hue(purple/green) is fixed and battery life is better. I have no experience about screen lift or such and the problems I had before were no deal breaker for me. Also, I prefer amoled to LCD screens so 930 is more pleasure to my eyes.

So yeah, I am and was happy with my choice. I took a long time trying to figure which phone to get 830 or 930, but for me it all came down to the pricing. At the time the price difference was 30? so I figured 930 was a good deal for 399? and 830 was not. Either way I'm sure you will be happy with either one, they're both good phones 😊

abhirajsoni

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Lumia 930 for around a month now, and since denim came out all of my "problems" were fixed. Phone only warms up now, display hue(purple/green) is fixed and battery life is better. I have no experience about screen lift or such and the problems I had before were no deal breaker for me. Also, I prefer amoled to LCD screens so 930 is more pleasure to my eyes.

So yeah, I am and was happy with my choice. I took a long time trying to figure which phone to get 830 or 930, but for me it all came down to the pricing. At the time the price difference was 30? so I figured 930 was a good deal for 399? and 830 was not. Either way I'm sure you will be happy with either one, they're both good phones 😊

Is the ##3282# working for u?

Laion

May 2, 2013
Visit site
No issues with my 1 month old 930. The new camera app is great. If I use the phone just lightly the battery lasts for two days, in normal use 1 day easily (I don't play games), but watching YouTube or movies seems to drain the battery pretty fast.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
What does that mean? The ##3282#? I'm from Finland so denim installed automatically a few days ago

Its an engineer's way to be able to control system settings. You can do various things with phone radio, one of the popular one being - keep phone from switching between 2g, 3g and 4g. You can set phone to use 3g only everywhere.

Sadly, Denim hasn't still unlocked this field test if anyone is still trying to figure out. We can't access it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb