[L930] Would you recommend buying this phone?

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying the 930 unlocked from Expansys but read a lot of threads related to hardware defects.. screen lift, faulty capacitive buttons and severe heat seem to be the most popular issues.. would you recommend this phone to someone who's thinking of buying it given the issues you've experienced? Please weigh in on this - want to pick up a WP device and though the 930 would be a good choice but then read this forum.. thanks!

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine new from my mobile operator a couple of months ago and I'm more than happy with my choice.

I have zero issues with it. I love the feel of the device, it's sturdiness, it's polycarbonate back that doesn't scratch and the gorgeous Amoled screen.

It's a fast, responsive and beautiful phone.

I have two other friends who also have 930s and they too are perfectly happy with their phones.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I can just confirm what is posted here. I flashed my phone to Denim and it increased my satisfaction even further. Its a rock solid device, built to last. The screen is amazing (HD) and taking pictures is a joy. Videos are very good too, also because the 930 has multiple microphones and supports 4K video.

Without Denim the 930 experience may be a bit frustrating, so if you get the 930 then just keep this in mind.

Paul215821

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a tiny bit of screen separation on the corner, but I suspect that having dropped the phone more than once on a tile floor is the culprit, not the build quality. The 930 is built like a tank. The screen is stunning, sound quality is great, it's super fast. I can't recommend it enough.

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
but then read this forum..

Don't let the very small minority of problem posters v's the many MANY more who have no problems dictate what you should think.

windowscentral posters are not a representative sample of the rest of the world. Thank god :smile:

In the end, only you can decide.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Definitely, just a few things to know going in:

1. This is the best overall phone Nokia ever made before being bought out IMO. It may not have the best camera they've ever made or the biggest screen, but all things considered I believe it is the best all around phone.
2. There are some cosmetic issues you do have a high chance of running into, but they are minor and people generally don't notice them unless pointed out. Those include:
* One or more corners of the screen not being 100% flush with the aluminum bezel.
* Screen colors not exactly uniform across the screen

Generally, neither of these issues cause a functionality issues and some never even notice them. Some of the devices do not have them either - I have two 930s, one has both problems and one only has the second problem mentioned above. But neither one affects the phone any way and unless someone knew of these problems ahead of time they likely would not even know they are problems. The other issues you mentioned are much less common.

So, I believe what you are reading about defects/etc is valid, but it is something most would not notice/care about unless they analyzed their device because they are relatively minor. I believe all smartphones have their issues, for instance look at the best selling iPhone 6 Plus - thing literally bends in half with minimal pressure - now THAT is a major issue.

In summary, buy the phone if you want the best overall Nokia ever made. No guarantee we will see another phone this good with Windows anytime soon.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Don't let the very small minority of problem posters v's the many MANY more who have no problems dictate what you should think.

windowscentral posters are not a representative sample of the rest of the world. Thank god :smile:

In the end, only you can decide.

Precisely, those who would otherwise not post only post due to issues - many happy customers never feel the need to. You could do a bing search for anything with the word "issue" or "problem" after it and be put off any device!

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
My father bought the 930, its a superb phone.
Its good to read up on a product before you buy, but Windows Phone is a hard one to find solid, serious and fair reviews of. And all phones, no matter of brand, always have the possibility to be de-functional. So if you get a normal 930, there should be nothing but joy.

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Go for it! I have mine for about 4 months and don't have a single issue. It had purple tint issue at first, but after Pfd update it dissapeared. Still waiting for Denim, but I am satisfied for now. :)

jsn76

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
One of the best phones I've ever had the pleasure to use. I had the screen lift issue that had the proximity sensor cause a few problems during calls etc. But sent the phone off to Nokia Care & they fixed it by replacing the aluminium frame & screen (even if it did take 3 attempts). There will always be a small number of phones that have problems no matter which brand/model you pick.

I change phones quite a bit, & having to use the LG G3 & my iPhone 5S while my 930 was getting repaired. Just confirmed how much love using the 930.

Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Wonderful phone. My screen is slightly higher at one corner but I noticed it only because I knew what to look for...would not have noticed otherwise. Superb display. Camera excellent quality and as enjoyable to use as my 1020's. Yes I'd recommend!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

sarim_xyz

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Lumia 930 last month from Expansys-USA. No screen lift, no faulty capacitive buttons, no purple tint, no non-uniform construction issue. It does overheat, I admit. I upgraded from a 920 and I am really happy with it. I got it in green color and it looks really nice. The camera and other features are superb (will improve with Denim, which is not released for my HongKong variant yet) and the screen is just amazing. I would definitely recommend getting one.

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
My 930 from Expansys is expected to arrive tomorrow and I'm super-excited. Is there a checklist of things I should look for to see if my phone's in good working order?

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My 930 from Expansys is expected to arrive tomorrow and I'm super-excited. Is there a checklist of things I should look for to see if my phone's in good working order?

Check for usual defects in any mobile phone and play with the phone for a couple of hours. If you notice anything suspicious head to the forums and let us know. However, don't forget to just enjoy the phone! :wink:

legend921

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I just picked mine up yesterday. I haven't noticed any over heating issues or purple/green tint. I was worried at first as well when I was reading some of the reviews on here. I switched back from the Sony Xperia Z3 T-mobile edition. I prefer the windows OS over the android. The Sony is a lot thinner than the 93, but the phone was super slippery. Overall, I would recommend the phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss