Does your L930 also make a squeaky noise when shaking it?

Ady Tamimi1

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello forum, I've recently switched from Lumia 920 to a 930 (used slightly, but in perfect condition, at least on the outside) and I'm wondering if the little squeaky noise coming from the camera module when shaking the device is normal or not, I remember my Lumia 920 also doing that but it was way less noisy. The OIS seems to be working nicely though... But I was just curious and none of the people I know have a 930, so can you fellow WPCentral members check yours out? :smile:

GrandGerminator

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
It's normal. The 1020 have the same noise, Nokia explained it is because of the lens or something like that. Maybe the thing that make OIS work. Don't worry, my 930 does the same

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
This is normal because the 930 has
Optical Image Stabilization .

Optical image stabilization is the effective form of image stabilization. Phones with optical image stabilization typically feature tiny gyro-sensors inside the lens that quickly shift pieces of the lens glass to off-set your motion. An image stabilization technology is considered "optical" if it features a moving element inside. And this make the noise.

Ady Tamimi1

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks for all your replies guys, I've done some tests and research, and I came to the conclusion that the OIS mechanism on the L930 is ALWAYS being used, unlike on the L920 which triggered the OIS only in camera app when the focus button was pressed or when switching to video mode.

I find it really interesting because clearly the on/off mechanism on the 920 was there to protect the OIS module from breaking/degrading over time, why did Nokia decide to leave it permanently on with the 930?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Actual if this OIS (Gyroscope) is always "on" it will protect the lens assembly also against shock impact (dropping the phone) so its an improvement.

Ady Tamimi1

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Actual if this OIS (Gyroscope) is always "on" it will protect the lens assembly also against shock impact (dropping the phone) so its an improvement.

How come? when the OIS is "on", the camera module is supposed to be "floating" and the tiny motors moving it become very sensible to any slight movement, wouldn't a fall to the ground affect the motors and possibly break them? I remember someone posted a video taken by his malfunctioning Lumia 1020 after falling from his hands while recording a video with it. It was horrible to say the least :/

Can't hear mine unless I really give it a shake.
Mine has a rattle due to the volume rocker, erh, rocking.

You seem to have a punny problem there sir :D

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
How come? when the OIS is "on", the camera module is supposed to be "floating" and the tiny motors moving it become very sensible to any slight movement, wouldn't a fall to the ground affect the motors and possibly break them? I remember someone posted a video taken by his malfunctioning Lumia 1020 after falling from his hands while recording a video with it. It was horrible to say the least :/
D
No what I mean is that the camera module is hanging in a gyroscope and if you shake it than you hear the "bouncing" from the camera module.
And if the small motors are on or of has noting to do with it they are only needed if the camera is on. But these small motors are part of the camera module and are also in the gyroscope.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12