09-27-2015 02:16 AM
126 12345 ...
tools
    Unless you live outside of the USA, then you have Wireless charging on the 1520 AND Glance, which is what I do :D
    Just to clarify; here in the U.S., through AT&T, the 1520 DOES NOT have wireless charging out of the box.. you must purchase an additional wireless charging shell/back cover.
    01-05-2015 04:36 PM
    I've had two 1020 (with AMOLED screens) and IMHO, I think Nokia has done a fantastic job with their "Clearblack" IPS LCD technology. I've never thought to myself "Gee, that black is just not black enough!" Certainly not "pathetic" as you say... (note, there's the refection of a white ceiling on the phone in this pic)

Attachment 93059

With that said, I prefer LCD screens over OLED any day. The LCD doesn't suffer from the blurriness and ghosting when scrolling text.. and doesn't suffer from the screen burn in (like my last 1020 did!) Also, much better outdoor/sunlight readability, more accurate colors, better brightness and better whites..
    Actually Oled ofer much better colors and black since amoled emits each color individuality unlike ips that needs backlight. I prefer amoled, its a phone not an 62 inch tv where I need that much detail and amoled is soft on my battery. About glance, my 925 have and I used for a week and give up. I don't like it and all my notifications and clock is just a button away. But this is just my opinion.
    01-05-2015 04:50 PM
    I've had two 1020 (with AMOLED screens) and IMHO, I think Nokia has done a fantastic job with their "Clearblack" IPS LCD technology. I've never thought to myself "Gee, that black is just not black enough!" Certainly not "pathetic" as you say... (note, there's the refection of a white ceiling on the phone in this pic)
    Perhaps pathetic is a harsh word to use but after putting up with displays that are only capable of a dark grey background it's accurate. There's just no going back to IPS after AMOLED. Windows Phone just looks too good with pitch black levels that blend in with the bezel and make the tiles seem like they're floating on the surface of the screen.

Also judging a displays black level with the lights on or in daylight is pretty pointless. My Motorola Atrix 2 from 2011 would look good in that shot.

With that said, I prefer LCD screens over OLED any day. The LCD doesn't suffer from the blurriness and ghosting when scrolling text.. and doesn't suffer from the screen burn in (like my last 1020 did!) Also, much better outdoor/sunlight readability, more accurate colors, better brightness and better whites..
    I don't have much experience with the 1020 but my 820 has no such issues. The colors are oversaturated but not to the insane levels you see on some Samsung devices. There's actually less bluring than on my mom and dad's 920s which while good displays in terms of colors and detail totally fall apart when it comes to black level and side view visibility.
    01-05-2015 05:01 PM
    Marratj, and Ed Boland, I going to answer both of you.

I answered the main Question ,, How do you deal with no glance? And in my answer the reason why I didn't need glance.
    Marratj Really! just answer the question, in a sense you did.
    Ed Boland, 1520 w glance and SD card , grate options , but the 6" screen stop me form getting it, so the next best thing was it's sister the Icon with a 5", Just think after the update, I wonder if I can call out " Hay Cortana" what time is it?, I then won't have to open my eyes. another reason glance not needed. Now it I could only figure out how to make her wash the dishes.
    01-05-2015 06:40 PM
    Personally I don't think I would ever be able to adjust to life without Glance as the weather integration has made it even more indispensable. For people like myself the lack of Glance on the 930 is a massive deal breaker.

The only way is to adjust how you use your device day to day, instead of using peek (swiping your hand over the proximity sensor) you double tap, unlock your device if it is pin locked and slide down the notifcation centre. Honestly it takes only a few seconds... then again some people are far too lazy even for that... :P.

I just hope we are not progressing to a future, as depicated in the movie "Idiocracy".. - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/
    01-05-2015 08:47 PM
    Went from a 1020 to an Icon. My reflexes still expect Glance, and Glance would be nifty, but pushing the button isn't so hard.
    01-05-2015 09:27 PM
    Just to clarify; here in the U.S., through AT&T, the 1520 DOES NOT have wireless charging out of the box.. you must purchase an additional wireless charging shell/back cover.
    Can you? Do you have a link to a part? I can see mods but no OEM covers. Thanks.
    01-05-2015 10:49 PM
    Can you? Do you have a link to a part? I can see mods but no OEM covers. Thanks.
    It's a PMA cover, not QI if that's maybe what's throwing off your searching. The only way to do QI is the mod or just buy something like this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pUvbUpU2927653

and tuck it under a thin case.
    01-05-2015 11:03 PM
    pressing the power button to wake up the phone seems to work fine.....

The only real benefit I can see of glance is that you don't have to physically touch the phone to see anything (be it power button or double tap). In my case that doesn't matter at all, i'll be seeing the same thing. (I use awesome lock app for additional lock screen information including weather, so the glance information I can see shows up the same as the lock screen)

But since it shows exactly the same thing as the lock screen does you just need to ask yourself if you actually benefit from not touching the phone. In certain situations that would be useful (like the mechanic's job).

But if you need to pull down the action centre from the lockscreen to see any detailed notifications you have to wake the phone anyways.

I never had glance, so I cant comment on its usefulness but if its like the wireless charging (Which I was actually excited about) then after the initial, 'oh wow cool' factor it just isn't a big deal to me.
    Last edited by Squachy; 01-06-2015 at 12:57 AM.
    Hotvak123 likes this.
    01-06-2015 12:45 AM
    If I turn on glance it decreases my phone battery 20-25% compare to when I turn off glance.
    I am using ancient L620.(Yeah! I know it is consider to be worst battery back phone)

I don't find it battery efficient specially when you compare to other alternatives.
    Really? I have a 620 too but i didnt notice much difference with glance turned on. However I know using GPS on the 620 saps the juice out of it like crazy though.
    01-06-2015 02:00 AM
    BTW off topic i think the Tetra Lockscreen app by Microsoft gives us a glimpse of how the Windows 10 lockscreen may look like, direct access to app features on the lockscreen. Pretty cool stuff.
    01-06-2015 02:03 AM

Attachment 93059

Guys I don't know much about the screen technologies but I've compared both displays of the 1020 & 930 on Gsmarena, if you check attached pic 930_1020.png

Is it because the 930 packs much more pixel density into a 5 inch screen makes the 930 not able to grab Glance? Cause I see both phones using AMOLED capacitive touchscreen.

I've also been hearing conflicting views from users over if Glance uses lots of battery in comparison to double tapping the phone to wake to see lock screen which it seems to some consume more power since it wakes up the cpu & other stuff of the phone. Well IMO when Nokia brought out Glance, they already beated competitors in terms of just "glancing" to your phone to see the notifications instead of just a notification light & would make sure it doesn't drain battery.

If indeed it requires lots more power from phone to double tap to see notifications on 930, would it balance out in terms of battery life since 930 comes with 2420 mAh in comparison to 2000 mAh?
    01-06-2015 03:25 AM
    My 1520 with glance last 2-3 days medium use :) if they could get the Windows button to flash on new events would that be great
    01-06-2015 03:54 AM
    Guys I don't know much about the screen technologies but I've compared both displays of the 1020 & 930 on Gsmarena, if you check attached pic Click image for larger version. 

Name:	930_1020.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	93088

Is it because the 930 packs much more pixel density into a 5 inch screen makes the 930 not able to grab Glance? Cause I see both phones using AMOLED capacitive touchscreen.

I've also been hearing conflicting views from users over if Glance uses lots of battery in comparison to double tapping the phone to wake to see lock screen which it seems to some consume more power since it wakes up the cpu & other stuff of the phone. Well IMO when Nokia brought out Glance, they already beated competitors in terms of just "glancing" to your phone to see the notifications instead of just a notification light & would make sure it doesn't drain battery.

If indeed it requires lots more power from phone to double tap to see notifications on 930, would it balance out in terms of battery life since 930 comes with 2420 mAh in comparison to 2000 mAh?
    The biggest issue behind the 930 not having Glance is the display memory and cost. Nokia could have very well put it on the 930, but now that would have driven the cost of a $500 retail price to anywhere between $800-$1000 and sadly not too many people want to fork out that much for a phone. Also the difference between the screen on the 1020 & the 930 is that although both are AMOLED screens the 930 is a full 1080p screen and higher resolution versus the 720p screen on the 1020. The display memory in the 1020 is lower than the 930 thus making it more feasible to have Glance on it.
    Rodrigo Mendes and xandros9 like this.
    01-06-2015 04:05 AM
    930 still may have something like glance if Microsoft unlock proximity sensor to work even when phone is locked. Then it would work job like some other phones, when you peek over a phone or open folder case screen lights up
    01-06-2015 04:07 AM
    Glance makes people get fat ;) so do your daily workout and press the button.
    01-06-2015 07:23 AM
    Or just do a light double tap. Gezzzzz.
    regarding the "grey blacks" on LCD screens, simply turn down the backlighting, simple as.

I have a 830 and my blacks on the screen are liquid, inky black and my whites are snow white.

Fred
    01-06-2015 07:34 AM
    I love using glance and no glance support is a deal braker for me. Will keep my 925 for a while as 930 even it looks great, has no glance support. 830 has Glance, but it's not Amoled, but only IPS. :(
    oviedofreak82 likes this.
    01-06-2015 09:11 AM
    Never used glance on my 925 so I have no problem with 930
    gEtApATaLkEd
    01-06-2015 09:21 AM
    Checking time on my Watch and unlocking phone to check notification or there is another way ? :D

What a silly topic. Glance is overrated.
    01-06-2015 09:43 AM
    Lost Glance also moving to an M8. Got to say between the lock screen and dot view case there is only one feature I miss. That would be the nightstand function, I just can't find a clock app that dims the M8 backlight enough to make it feasible.
    01-06-2015 09:56 AM
    Checking time on my Watch and unlocking phone to check notification or there is another way ? :D

What a silly topic. Glance is overrated.
    I would say the exact opposite. Glance is extremely underrated in my opinion.
    TechFreak1 and xandros9 like this.
    01-06-2015 10:04 AM
    Because there is no other way to check time or notification ? yeah right... quite underrated. I think it didn't help my life to be easier on my L920 with Glance. And it is not a bother to me on my L930. I have few watch which i wear all the time and double tap wake my phone instantly so i can check my notification right on it.

People only got lazy in my opinion.
    01-06-2015 10:10 AM
    Lost Glance also moving to an M8. Got to say between the lock screen and dot view case there is only one feature I miss. That would be the nightstand function, I just can't find a clock app that dims the M8 backlight enough to make it feasible.

I use Talking Alarm Clock as my nightclock/Alarm everyday. You can dim the display with this app.
    01-06-2015 11:44 AM
    Have you tried Night Stand Clock? I've been using this since i moved from the 928 to the Icon. I use it on my M8 now. There is a free version and a paid version, with paid version being less than $2.
    01-06-2015 01:08 PM
126 12345 ...