How do you deal with no glance?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As a M8 owner, I have to admit it is strange looking down at my phone and it not being there like it was after I upgraded my 920. But, honestly, the next thing I did was turn it on out of habit anyways. So you will notice it missing and maybe even think "wish I had it", but it will not detract from an otherwise great device experience. All things being equal, I would rather have it. But in no way do I see glance as a something I would put on my "must have, or I do not buy" list for a future phone.

Sure do miss the power button being on the side of the device, though.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Microsoft Band, I use it for glance info instead. :D

I was actually thinking of getting a Microsoft Band , heck I can check all notifications with that but with such low in quantity stock levels don't think I'm gonna get that anytime soon especially since I don't live in the USA.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
You could upgrade to a 1520 if you don't mind the size. It has everything the 930 has spec wise, same awesome 20MP Pureview camera, SD800 with all the sensors, (albeit no wireless charging without an add on shell) plus you get an SD card slot and most importantly, Glance!

I was hesitant about the size at first, but you quickly get used to it... then wonder how you got by with such small devices before lol... The screen is just amazing!

Unless you live outside of the USA, then you have Wireless charging on the 1520 AND Glance, which is what I do :D

But I can agree, you get used to the size, I have one since Christmas after deciding to not get the 930 because of the lack of Glance and I now love my 1520. I even keep Glance always on and still it only uses around 1-2% of the battery in standby over night.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
i think i am still missing something.
i really don't understand why the glance feature is a deal changer for people. i must be not knowing something about it.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
i really don't understand why the glance feature is a deal changer for people. i must be not knowing something about it.
Once you start using it and living with it everyday, only then you will start to appreciate it more as time goes by, but if you havent used it before you wont notice a thing. It's not necessary until you start getting used to it, and then you will find it annoying when phones don't have it.
However there are a few people who dont get the point of it, my friend who has a 920 says he doesnt care much about it, so he just turned it off completely.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
It might be an idea to turn Glance off on your 1020 for a week or two so that you can test it out beforehand; if you find after the two weeks that you miss it, then you'll know you might have the same issue with a new 930 - finding out before you splash the cash - but if after the two weeks you get accustomed to not having Glance, then you'll know that with a 930 you can do without it. :smile: Hope this helps!

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Once you start using it and living with it everyday, only then you will start to appreciate it more as time goes by, but if you havent used it before you wont notice a thing. It's not necessary until you start getting used to it, and then you will find it annoying when phones don't have it.
However there are a few people who dont get the point of it, my friend who has a 920 says he doesnt care much about it, so he just turned it off completely.

Well I've been using it a lot since I've gotten my 1020, and just like the name implies,glance at the phone and get all notifications, my two neighbours who also have lumias(both 920) telling me I shouldn't go for 930 ,I should get 830 instead which includes glance, but I use my mobile quite a lot for everything when I'm on the move, and I don't think the 830 would be fast enough , I already taking blows with some resuming on my 1020, 930 currently at top in terms of specs and performance for windows phone , other than the (1520), I might get Microsoft Band later on to assist me with quick notifications without touching phone.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I never really used Glance myself. I turned it on to try it and found myself never glancing at the Glance screen, so I shut it back off. I do use double-tap to turn the screen on.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I've been using it a lot since I've gotten my 1020, and just like the name implies,glance at the phone and get all notifications, my two neighbours who also have lumias(both 920) telling me I shouldn't go for 930 ,I should get 830 instead which includes glance, but I use my mobile quite a lot for everything when I'm on the move, and I don't think the 830 would be fast enough , I already taking blows with some resuming on my 1020, 930 currently at top in terms of specs and performance for windows phone , other than the (1520), I might get Microsoft Band later on to assist me with quick notifications without touching phone.

Then I still can absolutely recommend the 1520. I also thought it was just too big for me. After living with it for one week, it just feels natural.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Glance is useful for me while I'm at work. I'm a machinist and my hands get dirty so I don't handle my phone as much. I leave my phone in my toolbox propped so I can see the screen. I can then see my phone call notifications, emails, text, etc.... If I'm waiting for an urgent/important notification this is very handy indeed. Otherwise, I don't need to have the Glance convenience when I'm not at work and I can deal with that just fine.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Same here.

I have it before with Lumia 820 and two Lumia 925. Glance is a good feature, but since my second day on Lumia 930 I never missed this feature.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I think one of the best things about glance, is not having to touch your phone. Comes in really handy, if say, you're at work, or working on something (working on a car, garden, etc) where your hands might be dirty and you don't want to touch your phone. You can set it to "peek" where it operates with the proximity sensor and all you have to do is wave your hand over the phone.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Glance is one of those features that you initially think is a gimmick but then you eventually end up using all the time since its so damn convenient, especially when you use the peek option. As a result I would never buy a WP that doesn't have it (930). I also would never buy a WP that doesn't have an amoled screen (830, 1520) because glance looks pathetic without a deep black background.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Of course it won't improve your battery life. I'm saying it uses very, very little battery. I've tried it with it off on my phone for a day, and then with it on. Didn't make a difference.. I'm sure Glance uses a fraction of what an LED notification light uses.

If I turn on glance it decreases my phone battery 20-25% compare to when I turn off glance.
I am using ancient L620.(Yeah! I know it is consider to be worst battery back phone)

I don't find it battery efficient specially when you compare to other alternatives.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I also would never buy a WP that doesn't have an amoled screen (830, 1520) because glance looks pathetic without a deep black background.
Indeed Glance on the 830 isn't as rich looking as it was on my 925. I use the term 'anemic' in comparison. At least it's legible lol.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Glance is one of those features that you initially think is a gimmick but then you eventually end up using all the time since its so damn convenient, especially when you use the peek option. As a result I would never buy a WP that doesn't have it (930). I also would never buy a WP that doesn't have an amoled screen (830, 1520) because glance looks pathetic without a deep black background.
Hey, hey, hey! Easy on the 830!

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Glance is a useful feature, you might miss it sometimes but not enough to regret purchasing 930, I would say go for it, 1520 is very big, I know ppl get used to it but then you wud get used to being without glance,

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I was actually thinking of getting a Microsoft Band , heck I can check all notifications with that but with such low in quantity stock levels don't think I'm gonna get that anytime soon especially since I don't live in the USA.

I used Glance on my 920 but after a while with the Band switched it off. Getting notifications on the Band totally wins over the phone screen.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
It might be an idea to turn Glance off on your 1020 for a week or two so that you can test it out beforehand; if you find after the two weeks that you miss it, then you'll know you might have the same issue with a new 930 - finding out before you splash the cash - but if after the two weeks you get accustomed to not having Glance, then you'll know that with a 930 you can do without it. :smile: Hope this helps!

actually that's great idea, I'm turning off Glance on my phone now and see how the two weeks go, actually it's about two or three weeks from now that I'm gonna order it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte