How do you deal with no glance?

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Use glance frequently in bed so I wouldn't get a phone that didn't support it. Glad I didn't go for the 930 just before Xmas!
What was the reason for the 930 not getting glance support? Thought that would have been a must on all new phones.

I've even got my partner using glance (920) in recent weeks...

G.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
If I turn on glance it decreases my phone battery 20-25% compare to when I turn off glance.
I am using ancient L620.(Yeah! I know it is consider to be worst battery back phone)

I don't find it battery efficient specially when you compare to other alternatives.

It all depends on your usage patterns and phone. I have the 925 (amoled), and I mainly use Glance Peek to see the time and if I have any notifications. Since I'm not firing up the CPU cores to see those, Having glance turned ON actually gives me LONGER battery life over the course of the day. Otherwise, I would have to hit the power button, activate the CPU _&_ the Screen, to see if there were any notifications. The key is the "screen memory" where the information is loaded to the screen, then the cpu put into deep sleep mode, input from the proximity sensor activates just the screen, showing the glance info. cpu stays sleeping :)

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Glance has minimal effect on battery life. My 830 can almost go 2 days between charges! The best use of Glance is at night when I put my 830 on my Nokia charging stand. Thus, turning it into a night stand clock!

Glance isn't even listed as an app that uses battery or shows usage
in the background or can be turned off or on with my 830.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Glance is one of those features that you initially think is a gimmick but then you eventually end up using all the time since its so damn convenient, especially when you use the peek option. As a result I would never buy a WP that doesn't have it (930). I also would never buy a WP that doesn't have an amoled screen (830, 1520) because glance looks pathetic without a deep black background.

I've had two 1020 (with AMOLED screens) and IMHO, I think Nokia has done a fantastic job with their "Clearblack" IPS LCD technology. I've never thought to myself "Gee, that black is just not black enough!" Certainly not "pathetic" as you say... (note, there's the refection of a white ceiling on the phone in this pic)

IMG_00012.JPG

With that said, I prefer LCD screens over OLED any day. The LCD doesn't suffer from the blurriness and ghosting when scrolling text.. and doesn't suffer from the screen burn in (like my last 1020 did!) Also, much better outdoor/sunlight readability, more accurate colors, better brightness and better whites..

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Glance means nothing to me, so you can see the time, Wow! it's not like I can see the clock on my wall, tv, or cable box, and if your in bed the alarm clock will do, and if I feel really ambitious I can pick up my arm and look at my watch that glow in the dark.
and with the notification center, a banner pops up showing me what incoming to my mail.
I rather have the power house of the Icon, and when we get the camera update, and hay Cortana firmware what more could you ask for. Glance not necessary

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If I turn on glance it decreases my phone battery 20-25% compare to when I turn off glance.
I am using ancient L620.(Yeah! I know it is consider to be worst battery back phone)

I don't find it battery efficient specially when you compare to other alternatives.

I don't know how you came up with those percentages, but even on my LCD equipped 1520, I get the same amount of battery (as reported by the Battery Saver app- in hours and minutes) with it on, or with it off.

Of course it's important to also note that most Glance users don't keep it in the "always on" setting. So it only activates for 30 seconds when you pull the phone out of your pocket, or wave your hand over the phone in "peek" mode. Battery usage by having it in this mode has got to be virtually non-existent.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Glance means nothing to me, so you can see the time, Wow! it's not like I can see the clock on my wall, tv, or cable box, and if your in bed the alarm clock will do, and if I feel really ambitious I can pick up my arm and look at my watch that glow in the dark.
and with the notification center, a banner pops up showing me what incoming to my mail.
I rather have the power house of the Icon, and when we get the camera update, and hay Cortana firmware what more could you ask for. Glance not necessary

See, and i don't like wearing a wrist watch and my bedside table is just big enough to fit my wireless charger and a book. Why should I buy an additional alarm clock and try to cramp it onto the same table? Same for wall clocks, I don't have any, I don't like the ticking of the analog ones and am so used to not have one that I also not got a digital one.

But yes, I would certainly be better off walking from the bedroom to the kitchen in the middle of the night just to check the time on the oven so I don't need to touch my phone ;-)

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Power house? The 1520, 930 and the Icon all three have the same exact SD800 processor and 2GB of RAM. Only the 1520 includes an SD card and Glance as well. :p

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Unless you live outside of the USA, then you have Wireless charging on the 1520 AND Glance, which is what I do :D

Just to clarify; here in the U.S., through AT&T, the 1520 DOES NOT have wireless charging out of the box.. you must purchase an additional wireless charging shell/back cover.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had two 1020 (with AMOLED screens) and IMHO, I think Nokia has done a fantastic job with their "Clearblack" IPS LCD technology. I've never thought to myself "Gee, that black is just not black enough!" Certainly not "pathetic" as you say... (note, there's the refection of a white ceiling on the phone in this pic)

View attachment 93059

With that said, I prefer LCD screens over OLED any day. The LCD doesn't suffer from the blurriness and ghosting when scrolling text.. and doesn't suffer from the screen burn in (like my last 1020 did!) Also, much better outdoor/sunlight readability, more accurate colors, better brightness and better whites..
Actually Oled ofer much better colors and black since amoled emits each color individuality unlike ips that needs backlight. I prefer amoled, its a phone not an 62 inch tv where I need that much detail and amoled is soft on my battery. About glance, my 925 have and I used for a week and give up. I don't like it and all my notifications and clock is just a button away. But this is just my opinion.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Perhaps pathetic is a harsh word to use but after putting up with displays that are only capable of a dark grey background it's accurate. There's just no going back to IPS after AMOLED. Windows Phone just looks too good with pitch black levels that blend in with the bezel and make the tiles seem like they're floating on the surface of the screen.

Also judging a displays black level with the lights on or in daylight is pretty pointless. My Motorola Atrix 2 from 2011 would look good in that shot.

I don't have much experience with the 1020 but my 820 has no such issues. The colors are oversaturated but not to the insane levels you see on some Samsung devices. There's actually less bluring than on my mom and dad's 920s which while good displays in terms of colors and detail totally fall apart when it comes to black level and side view visibility.

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Marratj, and Ed Boland, I going to answer both of you.

I answered the main Question ,, How do you deal with no glance? And in my answer the reason why I didn't need glance.
Marratj Really! just answer the question, in a sense you did.
Ed Boland, 1520 w glance and SD card , grate options , but the 6" screen stop me form getting it, so the next best thing was it's sister the Icon with a 5", Just think after the update, I wonder if I can call out " Hay Cortana" what time is it?, I then won't have to open my eyes. :asleep: another reason glance not needed. Now it I could only figure out how to make her wash the dishes.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Personally I don't think I would ever be able to adjust to life without Glance as the weather integration has made it even more indispensable. For people like myself the lack of Glance on the 930 is a massive deal breaker.

The only way is to adjust how you use your device day to day, instead of using peek (swiping your hand over the proximity sensor) you double tap, unlock your device if it is pin locked and slide down the notifcation centre. Honestly it takes only a few seconds... then again some people are far too lazy even for that... :p.

I just hope we are not progressing to a future, as depicated in the movie "Idiocracy"..:grincry: - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify; here in the U.S., through AT&T, the 1520 DOES NOT have wireless charging out of the box.. you must purchase an additional wireless charging shell/back cover.

Can you? Do you have a link to a part? I can see mods but no OEM covers. Thanks.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
pressing the power button to wake up the phone seems to work fine.....

The only real benefit I can see of glance is that you don't have to physically touch the phone to see anything (be it power button or double tap). In my case that doesn't matter at all, i'll be seeing the same thing. (I use awesome lock app for additional lock screen information including weather, so the glance information I can see shows up the same as the lock screen)

But since it shows exactly the same thing as the lock screen does you just need to ask yourself if you actually benefit from not touching the phone. In certain situations that would be useful (like the mechanic's job).

But if you need to pull down the action centre from the lockscreen to see any detailed notifications you have to wake the phone anyways.

I never had glance, so I cant comment on its usefulness but if its like the wireless charging (Which I was actually excited about) then after the initial, 'oh wow cool' factor it just isn't a big deal to me.

Last edited:

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site

Really? I have a 620 too but i didnt notice much difference with glance turned on. However I know using GPS on the 620 saps the juice out of it like crazy though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05