How do you deal with no glance?

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
BTW off topic i think the Tetra Lockscreen app by Microsoft gives us a glimpse of how the Windows 10 lockscreen may look like, direct access to app features on the lockscreen. Pretty cool stuff.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I've had two 1020 (with AMOLED screens) and IMHO, I think Nokia has done a fantastic job with their "Clearblack" IPS LCD technology. I've never thought to myself "Gee, that black is just not black enough!" Certainly not "pathetic" as you say... (note, there's the refection of a white ceiling on the phone in this pic)

View attachment 93059

With that said, I prefer LCD screens over OLED any day. The LCD doesn't suffer from the blurriness and ghosting when scrolling text.. and doesn't suffer from the screen burn in (like my last 1020 did!) Also, much better outdoor/sunlight readability, more accurate colors, better brightness and better whites..

Guys I don't know much about the screen technologies but I've compared both displays of the 1020 & 930 on Gsmarena, if you check attached pic 930_1020.png

Is it because the 930 packs much more pixel density into a 5 inch screen makes the 930 not able to grab Glance? Cause I see both phones using AMOLED capacitive touchscreen.

I've also been hearing conflicting views from users over if Glance uses lots of battery in comparison to double tapping the phone to wake to see lock screen which it seems to some consume more power since it wakes up the cpu & other stuff of the phone. Well IMO when Nokia brought out Glance, they already beated competitors in terms of just "glancing" to your phone to see the notifications instead of just a notification light & would make sure it doesn't drain battery.

If indeed it requires lots more power from phone to double tap to see notifications on 930, would it balance out in terms of battery life since 930 comes with 2420 mAh in comparison to 2000 mAh?

downup

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
My 1520 with glance last 2-3 days medium use :) if they could get the Windows button to flash on new events would that be great

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Guys I don't know much about the screen technologies but I've compared both displays of the 1020 & 930 on Gsmarena, if you check attached pic View attachment 93088

Is it because the 930 packs much more pixel density into a 5 inch screen makes the 930 not able to grab Glance? Cause I see both phones using AMOLED capacitive touchscreen.

I've also been hearing conflicting views from users over if Glance uses lots of battery in comparison to double tapping the phone to wake to see lock screen which it seems to some consume more power since it wakes up the cpu & other stuff of the phone. Well IMO when Nokia brought out Glance, they already beated competitors in terms of just "glancing" to your phone to see the notifications instead of just a notification light & would make sure it doesn't drain battery.

If indeed it requires lots more power from phone to double tap to see notifications on 930, would it balance out in terms of battery life since 930 comes with 2420 mAh in comparison to 2000 mAh?

The biggest issue behind the 930 not having Glance is the display memory and cost. Nokia could have very well put it on the 930, but now that would have driven the cost of a $500 retail price to anywhere between $800-$1000 and sadly not too many people want to fork out that much for a phone. Also the difference between the screen on the 1020 & the 930 is that although both are AMOLED screens the 930 is a full 1080p screen and higher resolution versus the 720p screen on the 1020. The display memory in the 1020 is lower than the 930 thus making it more feasible to have Glance on it.

Ssrki

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
930 still may have something like glance if Microsoft unlock proximity sensor to work even when phone is locked. Then it would work job like some other phones, when you peek over a phone or open folder case screen lights up

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Or just do a light double tap. Gezzzzz.
regarding the "grey blacks" on LCD screens, simply turn down the backlighting, simple as.

I have a 830 and my blacks on the screen are liquid, inky black and my whites are snow white.

Fred

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I love using glance and no glance support is a deal braker for me. Will keep my 925 for a while as 930 even it looks great, has no glance support. 830 has Glance, but it's not Amoled, but only IPS. :(

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Lost Glance also moving to an M8. Got to say between the lock screen and dot view case there is only one feature I miss. That would be the nightstand function, I just can't find a clock app that dims the M8 backlight enough to make it feasible.

Daniel Fibikar

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Because there is no other way to check time or notification ? yeah right... quite underrated. I think it didn't help my life to be easier on my L920 with Glance. And it is not a bother to me on my L930. I have few watch which i wear all the time and double tap wake my phone instantly so i can check my notification right on it.

People only got lazy in my opinion.

maleheo p

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Lost Glance also moving to an M8. Got to say between the lock screen and dot view case there is only one feature I miss. That would be the nightstand function, I just can't find a clock app that dims the M8 backlight enough to make it feasible.

I use Talking Alarm Clock as my nightclock/Alarm everyday. You can dim the display with this app.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried Night Stand Clock? I've been using this since i moved from the 928 to the Icon. I use it on my M8 now. There is a free version and a paid version, with paid version being less than $2.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Because there is no other way to check time or notification ? yeah right... quite underrated. I think it didn't help my life to be easier on my L920 with Glance. And it is not a bother to me on my L930. I have few watch which i wear all the time and double tap wake my phone instantly so i can check my notification right on it.

People only got lazy in my opinion.

But wouldn't it be lazy in the same sense if you just look on your watch to check the time instead of waking up your phone?

Daniel Fibikar

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Let's say you have it set to non-permanent option. So you can see everything only few minutes or when you're waving in front of proximity sensor.

How is that different to unlock phone or look at your watch ? Glance = overrated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss