How do you deal with no glance?

AluminiumRims

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Never understood the point of glance. I wear a wrist watch so I never use it to get the time. For checking if any missed calls or new messages, I think that a blinking LED is a better indicator.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
As most people say you can get used to lack of glance (got 930 after having 920). The phone compensates for it with great camera and performance!

Made the same switch. Just double tap, and the lock screen displays the same info as glance. No biggie to me.

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
My GF found a good deal on a 930 and I'm going to take the leap. I promised myself I wouldn't buy the 930 but my 920 is really getting old. Battery is draining like crazy, camera seems to be a little damaged (I have a black spot on all my pics, not a stain I already checked... could be due to overheating), camera button is almost non-responsive, bluetooth is acting up, NFC died etc.

However, Glance is very useful to me. Why? When I'm asleep and wake up in the middle of the night, I just need to know what time it is. You wouldn't guess how many of friends actually damaged their phones while trying to turn it on while they still were half-asleep. I just glance at my phone and get back to sleep. I don't want to interact with my phone at night or get flashed by the screen when it's on. Glance is the perfect feature for that. I do not have a wrist watch, an alarm clock or wall clock. So yeah, getting anxious about not having glance.

It's also very useful when I'm meeting with clients, I do not have to wake up my phone to see what's going on. I simply glance at my phone and know if I got an email from work or a missed call. Instead of fiddling with your phone every 2 minutes, that's much appreciated by the person you're dealing with.

Maybe I'll need a watch but I don't see any good smart watches right now... and none of them are actually supported by WP so... (not in the US so no Band for me)

Roy Khoh

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I liked glance also, on my 925. I had it set for "peek" only.

Since switching to 930, about 5 months ago, for all the promised camera features that 925 wouldn't get...I did miss glance.
I've just habituated the power button to wake and sleep again.
Also, my background for the lock screen is completely black.

Had a few "wake in the night, what is the time?" moments, and fumbling around isn't too bad. Grip the phone and the power button is right in the middle, so... not hard to find just feeling around. Since my lock screen background is all black, there is no over-glaring light... so all good on that front, too.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I have two different lumias at the moment that have glance (830 and 920) and do not have glance turned on either of them, though I'm not using the 830 anymore.
I have double tap on, so I simply reach over and give the screen a little double tap if I want to see it.

Fred

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have two different lumias at the moment that have glance (830 and 920) and do not have glance turned on either of them, though I'm not using the 830 anymore.
I have double tap on, so I simply reach over and give the screen a little double tap if I want to see it.

Fred

I agree with you, I have a 930, I've never had Glance on any of my previous phones so I've not missed it. When I was weighing up whether to get the 930, I thought the same thing: double-tap-to-wake would be enough since it's less effort to tap than to hold the phone and press the power button to get quick lockscreen info. More than happy with my choice.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
No Glance is quite simply a deal-breaker for me. If I'm going to deal with some of the ways Windows Phone is deficient, I surely want to enjoy the ways it's superior (eg. Glance).

I have it 'Always On' with my Lumia 830, just as I did with my Lumia 1520 and 920 before that. I use it as my bedroom clock, alarm, etc. When I glance (no pun intended) over at my phone sitting on its wireless charging stand, I don't want to have to lean over in the dark and turn a bright screen on every time just to see what time it is or whether I have any notifications. Likewise, I don't want to have to double-tap it all day just to see if I have an email, or a text/missed call/Whatsapp message whose toast notification I missed.

The Lumia 930 is a solid phone that could have been quite a bit better, but the lack of Glance, micro SD and LTE (here in the U.S) combined just make it a no-go for a number of people.

Tim-O

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I have had the 930 for 4 days now, and I honestly don't notice glance being gone. I had the 925 previously, and I enjoyed glance, but is kind of an out-of-site-out-of-mind deal. It isn't there, it won't be there, so I don't notice or miss it. The phone is so superior to the 925, which I really liked, that it was worth the change. Size-wise, I would say that it is almost identical to my 925 with the charge plate, but maybe lighter... it is all good.

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I have had the 930 for 4 days now, and I honestly don't notice glance being gone. I had the 925 previously, and I enjoyed glance, but is kind of an out-of-site-out-of-mind deal. It isn't there, it won't be there, so I don't notice or miss it. The phone is so superior to the 925, which I really liked, that it was worth the change. Size-wise, I would say that it is almost identical to my 925 with the charge plate, but maybe lighter... it is all good.

930 is a bit heavier than 925. Not lighter. :)

Mark Baker3

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I have just upgraded from a 920 to the 930 myself. Glance not being available is a fairly minor thing as I use the double tap to get the info of the lock screen. I do miss glance for the simple notifications but the 930 battery lasts longer which was what I wanted. It seems to me s far as downsides go. Not as comfortable in the hand which is minor and the lack of glance. Other than that everything seems better. Apps open faster which is good. Oddly the screen seems more prone to micro scratches which I did not expect..... Having said that the 920 is like a tank. Mine was scratched and chipped on the case but always looked ok. I suspect the 930 won't have the same resilience. Overall though I am happy with it.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Not hard at all.

I had a Nokia N8 and went to Lumia 930. Not having a glance screen is a glaring misthought (in my opinion), but I am used to it. as of day 1.

I used my phone mostly to look at the time,but now, I have have to click the power button - and it shows me the time and calendar info.

Is this what we are talking about?

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Not hard at all.

I had a Nokia N8 and went to Lumia 930. Not having a glance screen is a glaring misthought (in my opinion), but I am used to it. as of day 1.

I used my phone mostly to look at the time,but now, I have have to click the power button - and it shows me the time and calendar info.

Is this what we are talking about?

I also had N8 before the 1020 that I have ,I even remember Glance on the N8,seems that it works for people with double tap but others can quickly Glance and be hands free and see notifications also,oh the decisions im holding out a bit,might wait for new windows 10 flagship

Tim-O

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Although the 930 is heavier than the 925 without the Qi charger plate, once you add the plate, it is basically the same or even lighter. It is kind of like comparing an iPhone to the 930. apples to apples, the iPhone is much lighter, and thinner, but since everybody puts a cover on the delicate iPhone, it isn't a fair comparison.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss