01-25-2015 04:01 PM
46 12
tools
    I bought an otterbox defender case but couldnt stand the screen protector .The screen protector made it hard to get things to work via touch and it was very irritating . Yes it is a genuine case not a copy . I unclipped the case and then with a small blowtorch run along the glue line that holds the screen protector on (take the phone out first lol) . Just a split second is all it takes . Push out the screen protector with your finger . You might need to run the blow torch over the glue line a few times ) . Do not hold the torch in one spot . Do this at your own risk .
    01-11-2015 04:42 PM
    Phones don't overheat from being in a case, funniest thing i have read in a while. Buy a case if you don't have the money for the insurance claim because ALL phones CAN break if dropped. No case if you don't care. It's the same answer for all phones.
    MaxyBley likes this.
    01-11-2015 04:56 PM
    Phones don't overheat from being in a case, funniest thing i have read in a while. Buy a case if you don't have the money for the insurance claim because ALL phones CAN break if dropped. No case if you don't care. It's the same answer for all phones.
    A case will not stop a phone from working but it can reduce performance due to increased throttling on a hot running phone like the 930 and also reduce battery life as heat dissipation dramatically slows due to the case acting as an insulator over the body. Whether you call that overheating is up to you.

If insurance is available and you can afford it, running naked + insurance is always the best bet.
    Last edited by Ruined; 01-12-2015 at 07:40 AM.
    01-12-2015 07:26 AM
    A case will not stop a phone from working but it can reduce performance due to increased throttling on a hot running phone like the 930 and also reduce battery life as heat dissipation dramatically slows due to the case acting as an insulator over the body. Whether you call that overheating is up to you.

If insurance is available and you can afford it, running naked + insurance is always the best bet.
    If the phone overheats and throttles back due to heat along with excessive battery drain, the problem isn't the case, the phone is junk. Find a different 930 or a different Windows phone.
    01-12-2015 07:58 AM
    I've tend to abuse my phone. But like most Nokias, the 930 is pretty tough, and hasn't broken from being dropped. Yes, you risk scratching the outside of the phone if you don't put it in a case, but after 6 months of use mine is still pretty much perfect. A couple of small scratches on the screen and backplate, and a couple of tiny nicks to the metal rim. I wouldn't worry about a case personally, especially not if you have insurance with a reasonable excess policy.
    01-12-2015 08:26 AM
    If the phone overheats and throttles back due to heat along with excessive battery drain, the problem isn't the case, the phone is junk. Find a different 930 or a different Windows phone.
    Incorrect. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 soc is programmed to throttle to lower speeds for longer periods of time the hotter it runs; look up the specs if you do not believe me. Even the new Intel processors do this as well (see surface pro 3 or yoga 3). Reduced battery life is also common knowledge of the consequences of heat on batteries.

I've used three 930s and all of them get hot especially in the lower right when under load, this is where the snapdragon 800 is located. They also heat up when charging. The manual also instructs to remove case when charging for the 930 (and iPhone for that matter) due to heat.
    01-12-2015 08:35 AM
    I am thinking I will put mine in a case, and I'll take it off to play games if I have to.

I dropped my 920 for the first time in a year, and the screen was toast. In that case, it's a relatively easy $20 fix. In the case of the 930, it's a relatively easy $130 fix.

All it takes is once. I can take the case off to play games if it still heats up after it's broken in.
    01-12-2015 08:56 AM
    Depends, I have the black frame on my 930 and dropped it the third day I had it. It didn't break but it did chip off some of the black paint on the frame. I still refuse to put out in a case though lol
    01-14-2015 08:24 AM
    Depends, I have the black frame on my 930 and dropped it the third day I had it. It didn't break but it did chip off some of the black paint on the frame. I still refuse to put out in a case though lol
    Yeah situation like this it don't matter cause if you used a case from the start you'd never get to see the frame anyway, and you can still put a case on now to cover it up if you don't like the look.

Might want to try some hobby paint.
    01-16-2015 11:51 AM
    I bought a Trident Cyclops, which will be here next week. We'll see how that works.
    01-16-2015 01:22 PM
    Here's a few pics of the Trident Cyclops. Seems pretty good so far.
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    etad putta likes this.
    01-17-2015 01:17 PM
    whoa that looks... thick
    01-17-2015 02:18 PM
    That looks very similar to the otterbox defender i bought . I got rid of the screen protector . makes a big diffrence .
    01-17-2015 02:33 PM
    It's not as thick as it looks. Here's a couple of comparison pics. One next to another Icon, and one next to two Icons stacked on top of each other.

3.jpg
    4.jpg
    01-17-2015 04:26 PM
    I bought a typical transparent silicone case that goes from the back to just right over the screen so if it fell on a flat surface, the glass wouldn't get smashed. Smartphones are far more fragile than phones used to be. They have so much electronics within them, that you almost feel like the phone is naked without it. Some phones, like the galaxy note 4 and especially the new droid turbo are made from materials that make the phone its own case.
    01-17-2015 04:58 PM
    How easy is it to depress the camera button ? With the otterbox it is impossible . I might change .
    Tareq27 likes this.
    01-17-2015 05:01 PM
    How easy is it to depress the camera button ? With the otterbox it is impossible . I might change .
    Very easy. Power too. I think the volume buttons may be the hardest. The touch is responsive under the screen protector as well.

Being that the screen protector is plastic, it sure shows fingerprints. I might end up taking that out, and finding some sort of film that doesn't smudge so much.
    01-17-2015 05:27 PM
    I use a Headcase hard. Case. It has clear stuffed so the aluminum rim I'd visible. Love it! ๐Ÿ˜Š
    01-18-2015 02:57 AM
    I use a Headcase hard case. It has clear sides so the aluminum rim is visible. Love it! ๐Ÿ˜Š
    01-18-2015 02:57 AM
    After paying $499 for an unlocked 930, I had no hesitation about buying a case. At the MS store I got an Incipio Feather case, but didn't like how little protection it offered to the screen if I dropped it, or the cut outs for the buttons which made them a bit awkward to press. So I just got the Incipio DualPro, which despite the two layers doesn't feel like it adds much bulk or weight. I like the extra padding above the screen top and the buttons are soo much easier to press.
    01-23-2015 12:24 PM
    I put a screen protector on mine but didn't find a case anywhere here in Dubai, seems like people don't like Nokias here
    01-25-2015 04:01 PM
46 12