Would you recommend buying case for this phone?

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I'd recommend cases only if you tend to be careless with phones - The screen might shatter (depending on the circumstances) and the aluminium frame might get a dent or two after a drop, not to mention there's no removable back cover if it's damaged. If you usually are careful, there's no reason to ruin that gorgeous looks with a piece of plastic :)

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend cases only if you tend to be careless with phones - The screen might shatter (depending on the circumstances) and the aluminium frame might get a dent or two after a drop, not to mention there's no removable back cover if it's damaged. If you usually are careful, there's no reason to ruin that gorgeous looks with a piece of plastic :)

This is fairly obvious but also good point.

A large part of what you are paying for with the 930 is the premium look and feel. If you cover it up with a cheap plastic cover, you are very simply going to have a cheap plastic exterior that looks and feels no different than a $100 android phone on the exterior. Why pay for a premium look and feel if you are going to cover it up with cheap looking and feeling plastic? Yeah, you may have a better resale value if it has less nicks and scratches but if you don't get to fully enjoy the phone because you are so concerned with resale value then its not worth buying in the first place IMO.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
This is fairly obvious but also good point.

A large part of what you are paying for with the 930 is the premium look and feel. If you cover it up with a cheap plastic cover, you are very simply going to have a cheap plastic exterior that looks and feels no different than a $100 android phone on the exterior. Why pay for a premium look and feel if you are going to cover it up with cheap looking and feeling plastic? Yeah, you may have a better resale value if it has less nicks and scratches but if you don't get to fully enjoy the phone because you are so concerned with resale value then its not worth buying in the first place IMO.

Just get rubber cases. I got from my retailer I'm using capdase one. It quiet good and fells soft. Not mention tt will keep the sweat from slip your phone.

All Lumia phone most likely bed naked but some scratch ruin their beauty. You can remove it at home and use the cases when carrying I pocket

Martin Spilovsky

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
After long thinking between L830 and L930, I pushed my provider and got some special price for the L930 so order it, should get in in 5 days, I really excited about it :) and will send some feedback the main reason was, Full HD Display, future updates like Hey cortana :), and nice, really nice camera which will get better with Denim upgrade, dont care about Glance, never used it on 1 1/2 years, SD card, 32 GB bit enough for me.

Rogerwho

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
the metal frame around is for the heat disposal purpose, so no case is the best option. otherwise choose a top flip case, at least leave the two long metal edges exposed. never ever use a soft gel case.

Nokia930usr

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I bought an otterbox defender case but couldnt stand the screen protector .The screen protector made it hard to get things to work via touch and it was very irritating . Yes it is a genuine case not a copy . I unclipped the case and then with a small blowtorch run along the glue line that holds the screen protector on (take the phone out first lol) . Just a split second is all it takes . Push out the screen protector with your finger . You might need to run the blow torch over the glue line a few times ) . Do not hold the torch in one spot . Do this at your own risk .

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Phones don't overheat from being in a case, funniest thing i have read in a while. Buy a case if you don't have the money for the insurance claim because ALL phones CAN break if dropped. No case if you don't care. It's the same answer for all phones.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Phones don't overheat from being in a case, funniest thing i have read in a while. Buy a case if you don't have the money for the insurance claim because ALL phones CAN break if dropped. No case if you don't care. It's the same answer for all phones.

A case will not stop a phone from working but it can reduce performance due to increased throttling on a hot running phone like the 930 and also reduce battery life as heat dissipation dramatically slows due to the case acting as an insulator over the body. Whether you call that overheating is up to you.

If insurance is available and you can afford it, running naked + insurance is always the best bet.

Last edited:

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
A case will not stop a phone from working but it can reduce performance due to increased throttling on a hot running phone like the 930 and also reduce battery life as heat dissipation dramatically slows due to the case acting as an insulator over the body. Whether you call that overheating is up to you.

If insurance is available and you can afford it, running naked + insurance is always the best bet.

If the phone overheats and throttles back due to heat along with excessive battery drain, the problem isn't the case, the phone is junk. Find a different 930 or a different Windows phone.

vc-10

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've tend to abuse my phone. But like most Nokias, the 930 is pretty tough, and hasn't broken from being dropped. Yes, you risk scratching the outside of the phone if you don't put it in a case, but after 6 months of use mine is still pretty much perfect. A couple of small scratches on the screen and backplate, and a couple of tiny nicks to the metal rim. I wouldn't worry about a case personally, especially not if you have insurance with a reasonable excess policy.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
If the phone overheats and throttles back due to heat along with excessive battery drain, the problem isn't the case, the phone is junk. Find a different 930 or a different Windows phone.

Incorrect. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 soc is programmed to throttle to lower speeds for longer periods of time the hotter it runs; look up the specs if you do not believe me. Even the new Intel processors do this as well (see surface pro 3 or yoga 3). Reduced battery life is also common knowledge of the consequences of heat on batteries.

I've used three 930s and all of them get hot especially in the lower right when under load, this is where the snapdragon 800 is located. They also heat up when charging. The manual also instructs to remove case when charging for the 930 (and iPhone for that matter) due to heat.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking I will put mine in a case, and I'll take it off to play games if I have to.

I dropped my 920 for the first time in a year, and the screen was toast. In that case, it's a relatively easy $20 fix. In the case of the 930, it's a relatively easy $130 fix.

All it takes is once. I can take the case off to play games if it still heats up after it's broken in.

Rob Rowland

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Depends, I have the black frame on my 930 and dropped it the third day I had it. It didn't break but it did chip off some of the black paint on the frame. I still refuse to put out in a case though lol

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Depends, I have the black frame on my 930 and dropped it the third day I had it. It didn't break but it did chip off some of the black paint on the frame. I still refuse to put out in a case though lol

Yeah situation like this it don't matter cause if you used a case from the start you'd never get to see the frame anyway, and you can still put a case on now to cover it up if you don't like the look.

Might want to try some hobby paint.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
It's not as thick as it looks. Here's a couple of comparison pics. One next to another Icon, and one next to two Icons stacked on top of each other.

3.jpg
4.jpg

Gilad Meiri

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I bought a typical transparent silicone case that goes from the back to just right over the screen so if it fell on a flat surface, the glass wouldn't get smashed. Smartphones are far more fragile than phones used to be. They have so much electronics within them, that you almost feel like the phone is naked without it. Some phones, like the galaxy note 4 and especially the new droid turbo are made from materials that make the phone its own case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon