Paul Thurott at his best.

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
All I see is a mix of readily available facts mixed with self important opinions presented in the same arrogant drivel he spews most days.

Spot-on! Thurott lives in his own 1% tech bubble and has little grasp of what the real world user needs or wants.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with your negative comment.

I disagree with your <mod edit> disagreement!

I agree with about 75% of what Paul has to say. But he has always been highly supportive of Microsoft overall, in spite of any snark on his part. You can either take it or leave it. That's not a quality everyone appreciates... in fact, I have the same loathing people have for Paul about Tom Warren of The Verge. As far as I'm concerned I have no interest in anything he says. I even blocked and muted @verge and @tomwarren on Twitter just so I don't have to see their crap.

We have that luxury, folks. Ignore and be ignored if we or others choose. No sense being whiny about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
I did the same. My 920's battery was going out after 2 1/2 years, so I was ready for an upgrade. My wife has the 1020, and it's a great phone. However, the 930 had a great screen, more ram and a faster processor.

Yes, I loss LTE but HSPA+ is pretty good where in at. My biggest complaint is some apps that are no longer downloadable like Urbanspoon.

In any case, when a Lumia 1030 with Windows Phone 10 is released, my wife and I will definitely upgrade to that.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Spot-on! Thurott lives in his own 1% tech bubble and has little grasp of what the real world user needs or wants.

I think this is exactly opposite of it. He's one of the few he can see beyond his own bubble. Look at his appreciation for all the quality low-end Lumia devices. He loves the mid-range Lumia 735. He constantly says how much he appreciates and understands how nice the iPhone is. He gets things from a business perspective as to why MS is focusing on the low end of the market, yet dislikes the fact MS hasn't introduced a new flagship and has repeatedly said MS needs a new flagship phone for the spec whores and enthusiasts who support WP.

I think he has a good grasp on all sides of things and isn't stuck in his own tech bubble at all.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
All I see is a mix of readily available facts mixed with self important opinions presented in the same arrogant drivel he spews most days. I am sorry but I see nothing of interest at all since I don't find his pathological need to see his name in print particularly useful. Are people here that desperate for a cheerleader? You really do not need anyone to affirm your chooses for you.

As for he can buy any phone, I am pretty sure that technically applies to everyone choosing to buy a phone anywhere. It also, however, a way of boasting he has more money in his pocket. I am sorry but that is, as often as not, the real point of such a comment. On the subject of the 930 and Icon being identical, that simply is not true. The Icon is based on the 930 but it was designed for different network technology. With respect to the obscenity he tosses at VZW for not updating the Icon that is just closed minded BS since he never chooses to discuss why it has not been updated nor why it was pulled. The fact that it was pulled and not updated yet should be a clue to reasonable people that there are problems with the handset. BTW, his own carrier also doesn't merit an obscenity even though they haven't seen a supposed flagship since 2013. News flash to everyone: any exclusive for the Icon is long past so it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out AT&T has chosen not to pick up the 930.

Some may like Thurott. I have no objection to that since we are all entitled to an opinion. I find the guy to be an often intolerable self ascribed expert who has never gotten over Microsoft cutting him off back in the Windows Vista/7 development days. He has (as usual) also not provided anymore information than anyone can get anywhere. Please point out one thing other than the attitude and innuendo in the piece that couldn't be gotten from a Google or Bing search. It is just an opinion piece. BTW, as a business person who travels and who works with others who do the same (plus various feds) I can assure you most people I know would either start laughing or stop reading upon reaching the comments about LTE not being important. Good for him that he can live with a much slower connection - I don't know a single person who a) wouldn't notice the difference or b) be willing to take that step backwards.

Most readers of the article took it as another piece of information to be added to what they already knew. I didn't post to make anyone happy or to make anyone upset. It's an editorial comment made by someone that makes his living writing editorial articles. Whether you agree with him or not is immaterial to me. Commenting on the article is your right and I appreciate that. I even agree with you that some of his positions are counter to my way of thinking but I don't discount him totally for having his opinions nor do I discount your right to have an opinion. Just a friendly post of purely info on his thoughts regarding Verizon and other topics.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I disagree with your negative comment.

I don't see it as negative; I see it as being one of the <1% of the non tech bubble. If his opinions were the norm, he would be writing editorial articles daily for a living. You can't please everyone so stop trying. thanks for your comment.

chris722

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. Definitely need a microSD slot and LTE. Even though I rarely use LTE, it should be standard across the board, IMHO.

srcpt

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
In my area, I find TMobile HSPA+ speeds to be acceptable for my needs at least for now, but how long will this last as more frequencies get refarmed to LTE.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It would be interesting to read his follow up articles, there are some who dislike him and can't stand anything he says or writes whereas I however find that he does raise a lot of valid points here and there.

In regards to him saying LTE is not important, that is his opinion, furthermore if you do have decent H+ speeds LTE really doesn't matter (especially if it is not much more than what you get on 3.5g).

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Interesting; just curious- are there any particular comments/articles that give you that impression?

I've always thought he came across as one of the few tech writers to usually display a real awareness of the differences between his usage/needs/experiences and those of average users.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo