New 930 - Horrible Battery Life

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it's fair to say that the Icon/930 doesn't get the greatest battery life. I've had the Icon for quite some time, and I usually get 3/4th of a day out of it (3/4 of the time from when I get up). I can get all day, but I have to use it more lightly.

Gilad Meiri

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
There's absolutely no doubt that the 930 is not an endurance champ. Battery life, even under the most ideal conditions, is average at best. Playing games empties the battery unreasonably fast and I always carry a charger with me.

Several tests have confirmed this, including the UK based expert reviews, that has tested 50 smartphones on endurance. The 930 came up at 36th place. Not the worst, but miles away from the best.

So while the consumer experience you get from using this phone is commendable and quite refreshing in an otherwise iOS and Android dominated landscape, battery life is definitely a soft spot.

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
OK, I've turned off 4G, and only have Bluetooth on when I need it, it's been through 3 full charge discharge cycles, and I've probably used it less too because the novelty has worn off a bit. Got to 14 hours with 30% left.

That's better!

Of course, in proper use it's not likely to last 20 hours.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
There's absolutely no doubt that the 930 is not an endurance champ. Battery life, even under the most ideal conditions, is average at best. Playing games empties the battery unreasonably fast and I always carry a charger with me.

Several tests have confirmed this, including the UK based expert reviews, that has tested 50 smartphones on endurance. The 930 came up at 36th place. Not the worst, but miles away from the best.

So while the consumer experience you get from using this phone is commendable and quite refreshing in an otherwise iOS and Android dominated landscape, battery life is definitely a soft spot.

This just makes me happier about the fact that my carrier picked up the Lumia 830 instead. I don't have as nice a camera, sadly, but it's still pretty great, and I don't miss the extra screen pixels or the extra horsepower. Hey Cortana is the only thing I really miss. My phone shipped with Denim, so I feel like I'm missing out.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Thought Ide share a few tips what ive picked up about battery life and windows phone..

- A new device will have a battery of 40% charge on openning the box.. charge it to 100% to "activate" the battery, then drain it to 0.. do this 2 - 3 times.. Ive noticed this helps to wake the battery.
- If you flash / update your phone and do a reset, then logging back into your MS account.. youll find youll have about 20 - 30 apps to re-install, both your history and the updates, make sure you have wifi on.. because re-installing all these drains alot of battery.
- Unless your using it, turn Off NFC and BlueTooth.. big battery drain from thes if your not using them.
- Turn off WiFi if your not using it and change "Turn wifi back on" to Manual, so it doesnt come on on its own
- Remove any apps after the uipdates that you dont use, such as (for me) sport, life invader (Facebook), Twitter, weather..
- Swipe lft, goto Battery saver > Usage, select "Show all apps" and select "Dont Allow" for any apps you dont need running in the background and uncheck "Allow battery to run in the background...".. I only have Calender running, all the rest are off.

I hope this helps :)
Good luck

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This just makes me happier about the fact that my carrier picked up the Lumia 830 instead. I don't have as nice a camera, sadly, but it's still pretty great, and I don't miss the extra screen pixels or the extra horsepower. Hey Cortana is the only thing I really miss. My phone shipped with Denim, so I feel like I'm missing out.

I've read that the camera on the 830 is better than the iPhone 6, so you can't be missing out too much on that! lol. Doubt it really comes close to the Icon/930 however. But I'd assume a 2200mAh size battery with a 400 chipset would be pretty good. Plus the performance seems to be pretty good as well from what I've read.

Nokia930usr

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Put location into your notification area . Turn location off unless you need it . I dont use cortana so i dont need it on all the time . Big improvement in battery life . I also went to battery saver and turned a lot of background services off . The problem is you can have a million services running on the phone .
Battery saver
Show all apps
Show usage from last 48 hrs
Disable background sevices from apps you havnt used in the last 48 hrs .
Chances are you wont use them in the next 48 hrs either .

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I put my phone in battery saver mode, I disabled any background running apps, turned the wifi searching to manual rather than hourly and so on. I reduced the screen brightness to the lowest. I always turn off any wireless connection like Bluetooth, location as much as possible and sometimes the internet connection (wifi) And guess what, my WP can last a day with heavy use(gaming, internet browsing, watching movies/videos, reading ebooks and music) without recharging. Get the latest update( I too had a very poor battery life like good 4 hours.) latest DP update fixed this issue. Or sometimes(,in my case every time) try soft reset

Zapella Tiago

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Locations always ON
Cortana ON
4G sometimes ON and WiFi always ON
brightness HIGH ('Cause my 5" Full HD must be beautiful)
Bluetooth - OFF
NFC - OFF

Some apps running background like WhatsApp, Cortana, Facebook.

I usually get 20hrs of battery life.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Locations always ON
Cortana ON
4G sometimes ON and WiFi always ON
brightness HIGH ('Cause my 5" Full HD must be beautiful)
Bluetooth - OFF
NFC - OFF

Some apps running background like WhatsApp, Cortana, Facebook.

I usually get 20hrs of battery life.

If you get 20 hours out of an Icon or 930, you have to be barely using it at all.

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
This sounds like one of those CrackBerry stories of people claiming to get 24 hours out of their Z10 when in reality you could get like 8 at the very best lol

I does a lot of test with my old 920 that have a poor battery life time (well, i succeed to drains the full 100% in an hour) and:

If you have a good network, having 4G always on drain your battery depending on your data use.
If you have stop all app that use location in background, same here, having location ON isn't significant.
Bluetoth 4.0 doesn't use a lot of battery, even using it.

Brightness drains depend of the use, and it's a big drain.
NFC also drain a lot of battery.

Definition of "use" d?pends of the user. Playing hight rendered online game is different than working on an excell sheet.

What I can say for sure, if you use a lot your phone, and don't have heavy background task like here drive and "check for new mails" set ON, then your screen and the apps you use (games, IE, camera, image processing) will drains your battery so fast that activating or not Location and BT will not be noticeable. As for wi-fi, just save your own wi-fi and deactivate the automatic research of new wi-fi spot and it's ok to have it ON all the time, since WI-FI, Location and BT will together drain something like 2%/hour while IE for exemple drain something like 15%/hour, and an online game will do a beautifull 25-60%/hour battery drain depending of your network quality.

For me the list of what drain the battery a lot:

1. Background tasks that use location or network (Here drive, mails synchronisation...) - Can be adjusted to almost no drain
2. Network use and quality - Can be adjusted to a minimum depending of your network (set to 3G)
3. Heavy process like high rendered game and image processing - Can NOT be adjusted without preventing you to use the phone as you want
4. Screen! - Can NOT be adjusted without preventing you to use the phone as you want

Since point 3 and 4 can't be reduced, and drain a lot if you use your phone, setting OFF location (which is not used since the background apps that use it are not allowed to work), WI-FI (that does not look for new spots since you have set it correctly) and BT (that have a low drain since the 4.0 version) will just limit your phone experience to gain something that is insignifiant regarding to your daily use. Even with my old 920 I never switched thos 3 settings OFF since I have never seen any significant gain.

Just my point of view and my experience regarding this battery issue.

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I will share what I've gathered from the past 2 days since my purchase.

What I've seen on this forum in threads about battery life, most people complaining are users that bought the 930 few days before making complaints about the battery. I get that. You hear all about the great battery life that Lumia phones have and you want that too. What you're forgetting is that you abuse your new phone. Especially a few days to a month after you've made the purchase. Constantly changing settings, trying out new games, apps and such. Same thing I'm doing right now.
When I'm at home I drain the battery in the matter of a few hours. Depending on what I'm doing. But the most important thing for me is that it lasted me the whole day when I was not at home and I used it regularly. I listend to some music, checked Instagram, Facebook, messages, and overall average use that of a phone. And when I got home I had like 35-40% left. Even tho the "average" use was a lot more than how much I used my previous phone. And when I got home that 35% got drained in like an hour or two.
The thing is I dont really care if the phone lasts me a few hours when I'm near my charger. I just need it to last me the whole time while I'm not. Thats the only thing I'm expecting from the phone right now. Average use and awesome performance.
I did disable some apps from running in the background. Well actually most. Just left a few that I actually want to get instant updates.
Overall I'm really happy with the performance and how good the 930 looks and feels in the hand.
Looking forward on getting my hands on Denim in the near future. :)

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I will share what I've gathered from the past 2 days since my purchase.

What I've seen on this forum in threads about battery life, most people complaining are users that bought the 930 few days before making complaints about the battery. I get that. You hear all about the great battery life that Lumia phones have and you want that too. What you're forgetting is that you abuse your new phone. Especially a few days to a month after you've made the purchase. Constantly changing settings, trying out new games, apps and such. Same thing I'm doing right now.
When I'm at home I drain the battery in the matter of a few hours. Depending on what I'm doing. But the most important thing for me is that it lasted me the whole day when I was not at home and I used it regularly. I listend to some music, checked Instagram, Facebook, messages, and overall average use that of a phone. And when I got home I had like 35-40% left. Even tho the "average" use was a lot more than how much I used my previous phone. And when I got home that 35% got drained in like an hour or two.
The thing is I dont really care if the phone lasts me a few hours when I'm near my charger. I just need it to last me the whole time while I'm not. Thats the only thing I'm expecting from the phone right now. Average use and awesome performance.
I did disable some apps from running in the background. Well actually most. Just left a few that I actually want to get instant updates.
Overall I'm really happy with the performance and how good the 930 looks and feels in the hand.
Looking forward on getting my hands on Denim in the near future. :)

Denim further improved my battery life. Check my post here http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-930/330185-battery-life-running-denim.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)