New 930 - Horrible Battery Life

chaseerry

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Updated to Denim last week, but no changes in the battery life. I've just accepted that it's not very good. Here's a chart of the past 7 days.

wp_ss_20150126_0001.jpg

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
The 930 does seem to be quite weak with battery drain with the screen on compared to other models (but oh what a screen!) but I have never struggled to make it through the day (even without the sprinkling of charging plates I have around the house and office).
Also, I think the battery discharge profile does not help many users 'perception' in use. In my experience, earlier generations of Lumia devices (I have owned a 1020, 920 and 925) would all stay at 100% for a few hours after a full charge before dropping steadily. The current crop (I also own a 735) seem to drop from 100% after 10 minutes or so and continue rapidly for the first 10% of discharge (at least). I think this is what causes a lot of anxiety in some users. Overall though, in my experience I have found the battery life of the 930 to be on a par with my experiences with my earlier devices. Most days even if I forget to top up I finish north of 50% which to me is just fine. That said, I do not use it for gaming just browsing (Flipboard, news etc), calls, texts and the occasional video.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
This just makes me happier about the fact that my carrier picked up the Lumia 830 instead. I don't have as nice a camera, sadly, but it's still pretty great, and I don't miss the extra screen pixels or the extra horsepower. Hey Cortana is the only thing I really miss. My phone shipped with Denim, so I feel like I'm missing out.

And you have Glance, expandable storage, and replaceable battery/back cover.

AluminiumRims

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
It depends what you means with bad battery life. My impressions are that idle power consumption is actually very good with this device. However, once you start to use the device it quickly gets hot even with moderate use and the battery drains very quickly.

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
It depends what you means with bad battery life. My impressions are that idle power consumption is actually very good with this device. However, once you start to use the device it quickly gets hot even with moderate use and the battery drains very quickly.
Mine does not get hot at all after the Denim upgrade. The battery isnt really good, but that's to be expected from 2420mAh.
wp_ss_20150128_0004.jpg
Regular usage. Some messages. Instagram. Some flipboard reading. Music.
They should add the option to see how much on screen time you had.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I had an Icon, basically a 930, and battery life was one of the reasons I got rid of it, that and Verizon. Anyhow, I have used several phones with the 801 processor and it's so much better than the 800 for battery life. You shouldn't have to shut everything off to make it through a day with moderate use!

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
What did you trade your Icon in for? The LG G2 has an 800 processor and awesome battery life - better than its 801 toting successor (G3)...just saying. Its not just about the processor. One mans 'moderate' usage is light or heavy to another. I have zero issue with my L930s battery life as it gets me from one day to the next with juice to spare. I have owned a 1020, 920 and still have a 925 and I am not noticing a worse battery life experience.

bayramcibik

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Like others have said, you need to use the device more. My Lumia 930 has decent battery life, lasts me at least a day. But is pretty short compared to my Lumia 1520.

how is the battery life of 1520? I recently got one and it does not last for even 24 hours! I'm disappointed with battery life. I am leaving my phone with wifi off cellular off when I'm sleeping and in the morning it's %90, with absolutely nothing working..I have been told to wait a week but I'm not sure waiting will change anything. Nobody says 'oh I had that problem and then I waited and the problem was gone'

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Well according to gsmarena, no phone has a longer battery life than the 1520. Few even come close so it appears to be top of the tree. That may not be definitive but its pretty much universally recognized for its awesome battery life so it sounds like you may have a faulty battery or something is not running right.

bayramcibik

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Well according to gsmarena, no phone has a longer battery life than the 1520. Few even come close so it appears to be top of the tree. That may not be definitive but its pretty much universally recognized for its awesome battery life so it sounds like you may have a faulty battery or something is not running right.

that's why I'm worried. If it were a normal phone I just bought I would be ok with it but with all the fuss about 1520's battery life, I'm just disappointed. All I wanted was a 24+ hours of battery life with moderate use.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
What did you trade your Icon in for? The LG G2 has an 800 processor and awesome battery life - better than its 801 toting successor (G3)...just saying. Its not just about the processor. One mans 'moderate' usage is light or heavy to another. I have zero issue with my L930s battery life as it gets me from one day to the next with juice to spare. I have owned a 1020, 920 and still have a 925 and I am not noticing a worse battery life experience.

Actually since Icon, I've used an HTC M8 Windows (much better than Icon battery and has 801 processor), Droid Maxx (awesome battery life), LG G2 (excellent battery life, especially with custom Rom, has 800 processor), and an LG G3 (with custom rom and 801 processor, better than G2). My wife still has an Icon and it lasts the day, but she is a light user.

TheMrPatrick

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I have have bought the Lumia 930 two days ago and I am pretty shocked by the battery life to be honest. I come from the Huawei W1 and on several occasions during the past 2 year I got up to 5 days of battery life out of it with moderate usage. But right now, 15 hours after recharging it, my Lumia is already at 27%!

The things I did today:
  • The first 8 hours: sleeping, it gradually dropped from 100% to 93% during these 8 hours.
  • I got up and checked the news and email, 1 hour after I woke up it dropped another 10% to around 83%.
  • I then played GTA San Andreas for 30 minutes, the battery dropped another 20% to around 65%
  • I then took the dog for a 1 hour long walk, I snapped some pictures(31 pics+3, 2minute videos) with the Lumia during this, it dropped 10-15% to around 50%
  • It then went stand by for 1.5 hours, it dropped a percent or two.
  • After the standby I checked out Spotify and the FM radio for about half an hour, I downloaded my music lists on Spotify for offline use, battery dropped 5-8% to 40%.
  • Standby for another half an hour
  • I then had my phone on for half an hour just only browing the internet, googling for Lumia battery issues and such, the battery dropped 10% during this to 30%.
  • Then I went on to Windows central on the PC and wrote this reply whilst checking the battery graph on my Lumia, and right now, about an hour later it is at 21%.
  • I just went to the toilet and took my phone with me, but after a few minutes of ONLY internet browsing I already saw the battery percentage drop once again, so..

Exactly 16 hours after charging the phone I am at 18%. I played a graphically intensive game for 30 minutes, I did quite a bit of internet browsing, used the camera to take 31 pictures and 3 short(2 minutes) videos and that's about it. I only use WiFi, so no 3G or whatever, automatic screen brightness and 16 hours is what I get. Wow. And when you substract the 8 hours of sleep from it, I get 8 hours of use before needing a recharge. !? I am at a loss for words, so I'll just post this...

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have have bought the Lumia 930 two days ago and I am pretty shocked by the battery life to be honest. I come from the Huawei W1 and on several occasions during the past 2 year I got up to 5 days of battery life out of it with moderate usage. But right now, 15 hours after recharging it, my Lumia is already at 27%!

The things I did today:
  • The first 8 hours: sleeping, it gradually dropped from 100% to 93% during these 8 hours.
  • I got up and checked the news and email, 1 hour after I woke up it dropped another 10% to around 83%.
  • I then played GTA San Andreas for 30 minutes, the battery dropped another 20% to around 65%
  • I then took the dog for a 1 hour long walk, I snapped some pictures(31 pics+3, 2minute videos) with the Lumia during this, it dropped 10-15% to around 50%
  • It then went stand by for 1.5 hours, it dropped a percent or two.
  • After the standby I checked out Spotify and the FM radio for about half an hour, I downloaded my music lists on Spotify for offline use, battery dropped 5-8% to 40%.
  • Standby for another half an hour
  • I then had my phone on for half an hour just only browing the internet, googling for Lumia battery issues and such, the battery dropped 10% during this to 30%.
  • Then I went on to Windows central on the PC and wrote this reply whilst checking the battery graph on my Lumia, and right now, about an hour later it is at 21%.
  • I just went to the toilet and took my phone with me, but after a few minutes of ONLY internet browsing I already saw the battery percentage drop once again, so..

Exactly 16 hours after charging the phone I am at 18%. I played a graphically intensive game for 30 minutes, I did quite a bit of internet browsing, used the camera to take 31 pictures and 3 short(2 minutes) videos and that's about it. I only use WiFi, so no 3G or whatever, automatic screen brightness and 16 hours is what I get. Wow. And when you substract the 8 hours of sleep from it, I get 8 hours of use before needing a recharge. !? I am at a loss for words, so I'll just post this...
I had the same experience. I am actively waiting for the next lumia device to be launched... I really wanted to like the 930... And I did! Hardware wise. But seriously, the horrendous battery life was the end of it for me... With little to no use during the day I would have to charge it almost immediately after work!

I really hope Windows phone works up some better hardware for battery. I think an 801 processor would have been a better way to go.

If the lumia 930 is so chubby why couldn't they have fit in a larger battery? My LG G3 is slimmer and has a larger battery and packs: higher display screen, an extra gig of ram, faster processor, larger (removable) battery...

Hardware: LG g3 is better. But I want a Windows phone! But for me, battery life is key!

TheMrPatrick

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I see that Internet Explorer really uses alot of power, it has been 12 hours since I got up and right now IE has actually surpassed GTA San Andreas with power usage. 32.9% For IE and 20.5% for GTA San Andreas. Is Internet Explorer very unoptimized or something?
Internet Explorer 32.9%
GTA: San Andreas 20.5%
Battery(this is an app) 12.1%
Lumia Camera 11.1%
Metrotube 4.8%
Spotify 4.1%
and so on..

Or could it be that Internet Explorer mainly has white backgrounds, so combined with this Oled(or is it an Amoled?) screen it feasts on the battery?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I see that Internet Explorer really uses alot of power, it has been 12 hours since I got up and right now IE has actually surpassed GTA San Andreas with power usage. 32.9% For IE and 20.5% for GTA San Andreas. Is Internet Explorer very unoptimized or something?
Internet Explorer 32.9%
Lumia Camera 11.1%
Metrotube 4.8%
Spotify 4.1%
and so on..

Or could it be that Internet Explorer mainly has white backgrounds, so combined with this Oled(or is it an Amoled?) screen it feasts on the battery?

San Andreas just works the screen, RAM and GPU. IE needs all of that, plus it's using your data connection continuously. That last one is the key.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Internet Explorer 32.9%
Lumia Camera 11.1%
Metrotube 4.8%
Spotify 4.1%
and so on..

Well, OLED screens (AMOLED is a sub-version of OLED) use blacks and dark colors very well, but whites drain A LOT of power. I remember seeing the power draw on OLED devices vs LCD. LCD is almost always static in power usage, but OLED uses very little to draw blacks. I believe it was more than double the power. I just searched, and this wasn't the link, but it shows the usage between COLOR and BW mode on an AMOLED screen. Using just black and white text, it got about half the draw.

greenbot.com/article/2834583/how-much-power-does-a-black-interface-really-save-on-amoled-displays.html

But there is another article out there!

Anyways, have you tried rebooting your phone? Many times problems like these are glitches. A fresh restart often fixes the issue. There is no way GTA is less intensive than IE (each for 40 minutes, for example). GTA is constant GPU, CPU, RAM and rendering... As mentioned above, IE does use the data connection!!! So it really depends on what you're doing... But I'd say playing a game is 99% of the time more intensive than browsing the web (reading webpages)... More often than not, you're stopping, reading, and your CPU is dormant. There was another article that showed how many clicks per minute the average user does.... And playing a game is more like clicks per second! haha.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb