MMS and APN Settings - AT&T

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
With an international unlocked version, do I need to input this info, or does it find it on its own?

I put in a sim, and it made calls. Didn't try a text though (was my daughter's sim, and he boyfriend was pacing around in circles to take her out to dinner - ugh).

So, I wanted to make sure I have it set up right before I activate my new sim for it.

Thanks much

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If you activate the new sim on AT&T, it should automatically pick up the correct MMS settings.

Oh.. Wait. An international unlocked 930? I'm not sure... Maybe someone else will chime in about those, as I've heard they have different bands on AT&T

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I didn't need to make any changes. All settings are typically on the SIM, and things work fine. However, the unlocked 930 will allow you to manually enter those settings if you need them.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
No, unfortunately, no LTE in the US with the 930. :(

However, I have had no performance issues with HSPA+. I get about 8-15Mbps/Down and 3Mbps/Up on full bars, and the lowest I've tested is 2 bars with 3.5Mbps/Down and 1.5Mbps/Up. Certainly livable conditions, even for audio/video streaming.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
That is not true. Some carrier locked versions hide these settings with operator registry settings.

All unlocked Lumias might be a true statement. ;)
Oh, my bad. Well all Lumia phones locked on AT&T in the U.S. (That I've had anyway) have those setting available. I've never seen one outside of AT&T.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
No, unfortunately, no LTE in the US with the 930. :(

However, I have had no performance issues with HSPA+. I get about 8-15Mbps/Down and 3Mbps/Up on full bars, and the lowest I've tested is 2 bars with 3.5Mbps/Down and 1.5Mbps/Up. Certainly livable conditions, even for audio/video streaming.
Here's my speedtest with AT&T's LTE full bars on my 1520...

23987871.png

I'd say you're missing out on some serious speed with the 930

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Here's my speedtest with AT&T's LTE full bars on my 1520...

http://www.speedtest.net/wp/23987871.png

I'd say you're missing out on some serious speed with the 930

To steal a line from Office Space... I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob. That would imply I'm doing something that would really benefit from it.

If the most intensive thing I do is stream video, I need roughly 1Mbps. That extra speed isn't gonna get streaming data here any faster. It could buffer more, but if the stream is steady, do I care? Not really.

Besides, if I use WiFi 90% of the time, then who cares?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
To steal a line from Office Space... I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob. That would imply I'm doing something that would really benefit from it.

If the most intensive thing I do is stream video, I need roughly 1Mbps. That extra speed isn't gonna get streaming data here any faster. It could buffer more, but if the stream is steady, do I care? Not really.

Besides, if I use WiFi 90% of the time, then who cares?

This is true.. I'm always on WiFi as well, at home and at work. It is nice to know the cellular data speed is there though, if needed.

That's one of my all time favorite comedies btw! lol

You've got to admit that 48.56Mbps on LTE is pretty impressive.. Could be a selling point for some who might be trying to decide between a 930 on AT&T in the U.S. versus a phone that'll work with their LTE bands.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Good news - put the new sim in, activated it, and I didn't have to change any settings - it all worked just fine.

As for 1520 vs 930, I carefully considered that. The 1520 is smooth, fast, light, and the screen is outstanding. Plus, it has LTE speeds, which are great.

But, I just couldn't carry around a phone that size. With that as a constraint - then what next? Next is the 930, which is equal in all respects other than the LTE speeds. The 930 screen is also fantastic, and it is smooth and fast also. It is light, and is only vey slightly larger than my 920.

In the end, for me, it's a trade of faster data speeds vs screen size and portability. I chose the 930 because it suits what I need. Until a phone comparable to the 930 is released for use in the US, then the 930 will be it.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Good news - put the new sim in, activated it, and I didn't have to change any settings - it all worked just fine.

As for 1520 vs 930, I carefully considered that. The 1520 is smooth, fast, light, and the screen is outstanding. Plus, it has LTE speeds, which are great.

But, I just couldn't carry around a phone that size. With that as a constraint - then what next? Next is the 930, which is equal in all respects other than the LTE speeds. The 930 screen is also fantastic, and it is smooth and fast also. It is light, and is only vey slightly larger than my 920.

In the end, for me, it's a trade of faster data speeds vs screen size and portability. I chose the 930 because it suits what I need. Until a phone comparable to the 930 is released for use in the US, then the 930 will be it.

A couple other things to consider on choosing a 930 vs 1520 are the 930's lack of expandable storage/SD card slot, and the lack of Glance screen.

Just saying...

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I had to go to my daughter's college campus yesterday to replace her iPhone 5C screen, and I could not connect to campus wifi, so I tethered my 930 to my Surface to play a how-to video.

I did a speedtest, it was around 8 down, which was plenty to play a video on the surface. The indictor was bouncing between H and H+.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll add to this thread that I just received my L930 from expansys (Thai version) and the MMS did not in fact work out of the box for me with AT&T. Texting yes, pictures and group texting no. Reboots and toggling stuff off and on had no effect. I got a little worried but then found some manual MMS APN settings to add that got it working.

https://apn.gishan.net/settings/777_4_att_apn_settings_for_nokia_lumia_930.php

The only thing I did was add the MMS APN, nothing else. Pretty happy so far, H and H+ are fast enough for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon