930 or wait for 1020 successor?

Alroy Swain

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
hi all,

my 1020 is becoming dreadfully slow, mainly multitasking and camera functions. I cycle between nokia music, xbox music, facebook, internet explorer & 6tag. Sometimes it takes up to 10secs for the screen to refresh. I'm currently on the developer preview. Love the camera quality, but time taken between shots is becoming unbearable now. I realize that the 1020 is almost two years old but have been patiently holding off for the successor. I've been toying with the idea of getting the 930.

So, 930 or wait for 1020 successor? (probably announce in March only)

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
If you're buying the 930 off contract, then go for it and give it away when you get a new phone. If you're getting your phone subsidised/on contract, I'd say pick up a cheap handset off contract and wait. The 930 is based on the Lumia Icon which is a year old now, and based on a chipset that's even older still (Snapdragon 800 came out before the Lumia 1020)...

It's just not worth getting on a two year contract at this point when its hardware is nearly three quarters that in age already.

Edit: I'm in the same boat as you, except replace 1020 with 920. I've been thinking about this for a month now haha

MaxMones501

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
The 930 has an excellent camera and good specs, but the 1020 successor will probably have a camera even better than the one on the normal 1020, so if you are willing to get a worse camera, I would say you should get a 930.

Main phone: Nokia Lumia 830
Tablet: Apple iPad Air 2 64GB

Alroy Swain

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
If you're buying the 930 off contract, then go for it and give it away when you get a new phone. If you're getting your phone subsidised/on contract, I'd say pick up a cheap handset off contract and wait. The 930 is based on the Lumia Icon which is a year old now, and based on a chipset that's even older still (Snapdragon 800 came out before the

I was actually considering doing a contract until I did the math. Not being ripped off today. So will get it outright.

Thanks for helping me justify the 930 purchase 😊 Lets hope I don't drop or scratch it before reselling it. (my 1020 has almost daily drops, and still works)

fishyuk

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just done the same thing, picked up a 930 on ebay new unlocked for about ?220. 1020 has done me proud, especially on an Africa holiday but so used to my work 1520 now that I wanted the extra speed in general and for the camera with upcoming ski season :). Still hoping they make an absolute high spec 1020 replacement though. 930/1520 are still awesome phones and nothing out there now screams why don't we have this hardware to me so happy if they take time to make sure a hypothetical 1020 is using the very latest and greatest!

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Depends. The 930 is approaching old and outdated in the tech world (in reality its still really powerful, but everything else is even more powerful at this stage).

The only thing the 1020 has on the 930 is the camera. The 930 has a huge speed advantage due to far superior hardware, plus whatever new fangled features that the hardware allows (when unlocked with software) may not be able to work on the 1020.

I'd probably wait at this point, unless the speed of the 1020 is really that slow and utterly annoying (in which case try to find a 930 cheap).

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Just got the green 930 and flashed denim...God gawd! how impressive is the camera...and its so snappy *happydance*

Congrats on your great purchase, im sure youll be happy.. Its a great device. For me personnally, I dont care about specs or benchmarks and I think its a bit of an endless trap to get into, because youll be buying and selling your device for evermore.. As long as the phone does what I bought it to do and it does it well, then Im happy.

Great Purchase :)

Rob Rowland

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I just upgraded from a 1020 to a 930. Bought it outright, saving my upgrade for the 1020 successor. So far I'm very happy with the device although I do miss the better camera of the 1020.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I did the same but sold my 930. Did not like the form factor with the extra thick body and was disappointed by the screen. The 1020 had a nicer screen (even though it was lower rez) and didn't have the stutter and text refresh issues. The camera also has the same issue as the 1520 with geometric distortion and stretching at the edges of photos (because of wide angle lens). The 1020 did not exhibit this issue. Very annoying when taking closer photos of people or objects. I ended up buying an almost new 830 for $220. That will be my phone until the 1030.

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat but im going to wait. Seen the 930 and imho not really a great leap ahead of my 1020 aside from a few HW benefits. Plus, this darn camera has spoilt me rotten :).

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Everyday operations work great on all lumia devices. Only games with good graphics and apps like such require more power to do tasks faster.
And not all users really use the camera that much. Although I love the camera. :D

We all have different priorities :D For me the c?mera is the #1 priority...... of course its all about the whole package but the c?mera for me is the #1 priority but lets say Nokia was bought by Google and The 1020 was running android I wouldnt buy it. I dont like the OS.

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Well the number 1. reason I bought a windows phone is cause the OS is stable and fluid. Any android phone I encountered was good for some time. Then it became laggy. Same thing on my friends phones. Android design has gotten kind of boring. Not as boring as iOS, as Android developers update the design with new version updates. But still, it's all the same and it's no longer fun for me. I like the simplicity yet elegance that WP offers.
I could've gotten the 830 but picked the 930 because of the camera actually. I love taking photos, and I'll be sure to try and capture some sick shots. Since I do have a great camera in my pocket now. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077