Hi,

Went for a good long swim with my phone in my pocket. Have tried all the usual stuff and it's dead. Very dead. Interestingly if I put it on the wireless charger, the charger shows a light (as if it's charging). But there's absolutely no sign of life.

Has anyone had a water-damaged Lumia repaired in the UK? As far as I can see the options are:
    1 Pick a random online outfit offering to repair it. No guarantee of anything of course.
    2 Return it to Nokia for 125 repair.

Any advice? Do I suck up option 2 or has anyone got a success story they'd like to share?

Thanks.
    01-29-2015 10:57 AM
    I think you should go with option 2. Do know what part is it that's damaged? It could be the board that shorted out, and even if you replace that you might have water inside the camera lens or some other fresh horror.
    Yes, flagship phones are so expensive to get repaired. Broke my 925 display and the replacement is costing me ~$160 or (104) to get done from the Nokia Care people, but if I'd ordered the part myself and replaced it, would've cost me about the same and I'd rather trust the professionals.
    01-29-2015 01:06 PM
    i killed my 925 the same way. Didn't think it's worth salvaging. Just replaced it with a 635 and wait for next flagship. Keep us updated though.
    01-29-2015 01:12 PM
    Don't plug it in anymore. If there is water inside, you risk shorting it out.

It needs to be opened, and cleaned with 99% alcohol. You might be able to do that yourself, if you're so inclined. It's hard to know what might be damaged w/o opening it up.

I just saved an iPhone 5s that got dropped in a lake, with a good cleaning and a new battery.

Every time you plug it in to see if it's working, you risk shorting it out.

You could give it some time, like a week or more, to dry out, and then see if it's working. However, even if that somehow works, it still needs to be opened and cleaned, because corrosion will continue, until it stops again at some point in the future.
    01-29-2015 08:33 PM