02-02-2015 08:07 AM
35 12
tools
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm having a somehow strange problem.
    I've purchased a Lumia 930 via eBay (I lost my 920 during a work travel). Was very exited for the phone and it was only used once.
    Anyway the problem is that after one or two days I've noticed that the phone had a lilac tint on the screen and when I pressed the off button to put the screen on sleep, it shows some lines on the screen (just for a sec).
    I thought a reset would fix everything, so I did the button down + off button soft reset.
    When the phone started up it showed the Nokia logo on the screen and on the top left of the phone some lines in very small letters. After that, written on the left bottom, in red was "Not for Resale".
    Anyone can please tell me what this means? I've tried contacting the seller (they were a video company who had done a video for a Nokia advertising of the Lumia 930 with this phone), but still haven't got an answer from them.
    Anyway because of the time limit of 30 days ,to raise a claim, has passed on eBay , I don't think they will refund me, and in a meantime I'm stuck with this "strange" unit.
    Any advise on what to do, or what this unit is, would be highly appreciated because in the country I live (Albania) we don't have a Microsoft/Nokia care center or re-seller.
    Thank you!
    01-30-2015 06:10 PM
    If you go to the about screen and look under carrier what does it say?

Also can you confirm what you see in the extras+info page under Manufacturer name?

I have feeling you most likely have a demo unit or perhaps a developer unit, however the more info you can provide would be helpful :).
    Laura Knotek and edid like this.
    01-30-2015 06:16 PM
    Under carrier in the about screen it says CV GBIE.
    As for the manufacturer name Ill check it first thing in the morning because I don't have the phone with me at the moment (still in the office and its 2 am here).
    Also Ill try and get a pic of the about screen and extras&info screen, and post it.
    Thank you for your help, its really appreciated.
    01-30-2015 06:23 PM
    Your welcome.

CV GBIE, that is interesting was thinking it might be a Euro model.

Also when / if you do post pictures, make sure your crop out the imei, mac address, ims and sim number :).

Darn, working that late!
    edid likes this.
    01-30-2015 06:37 PM
    I suspect a demo/developer model, that was not supposed to be sold by the original owner, but would still be fully functional.
    edid likes this.
    01-30-2015 08:07 PM
    If it is a demo unit you should be able to use the recovery tool to install the right firmware version.
    edid likes this.
    01-31-2015 12:18 AM
    Sorry for the delay, below are the pictures of About and Extra & Info.
    I had the phone in Albanian and that's why the Extra & Info is in Albanian. When I turned the phone in English the Extras&Info section doesn't open.
    wp_ss_20150131_0004.jpgwp_ss_20150131_0002.jpgwp_ss_20150131_0003.jpg
    01-31-2015 09:06 AM
    I've tried to update but it doesn't show any update even why all CV of Lumia 930 have already got the Denim update.
    Anyway I don't know which can be the right firmware for the phone if its a demo/developer model, or if it can accept another firmware at all.
    01-31-2015 09:30 AM
    I would be tempted to contact Microsoft, they might be able to help. You never know, they might even swop it out. I'm sure they would also be interested on how you come to have got hold of it.
    edid likes this.
    01-31-2015 09:37 AM
    Yup, the "not for sale", "prototype" and preloaded software indicating it is a "Blue" build compiled on the 28th of March are huge red flags indicating it is a developer model. As the code name for 8.1 was blue and the compiled date coincides with the April build event. So I imagine it was a loaner device (the op indicated the seller was a marketing company who had done video for Nokia) that got "misplaced" :P.

I don't know if you could flash a rom using navifirm and Nokia care suite. Personally as it your phone appears to have hardware defects, I would also suggest contacting MS in regards to a replacement.
    edid likes this.
    01-31-2015 09:55 AM
    Hardware revision 1.0.0.4....
    I believe that the oldest sold was 2.0.0.1, I don't even know if it's safe to reflash the above with the current stock ROM's and if the configuration is still supported.

I'd contact MS about it and if they're not interested - put it on eBay with "prototype" in the name.
    edid likes this.
    01-31-2015 10:22 AM
    Hmmm now that you mention it, contacting Microsoft and ask if they could help it does seem the right way to go.
    I didn't tried to flash the phone because after I saw the "not for sale" sign I was afraid to make it worse if something would go wrong with the flashing.
    Anyway, not having a Microsoft/Nokia representative here which branch of Microsoft do you think I should contact? Any link would be highly appreciated.
    Probably I should contact the North America office because the seller was from there and the phone came from there.
    Thank you all very much for your help!
    01-31-2015 10:46 AM
    I'd say it depends upon whether you want to keep it or not. Did you pay through PayPal? If so, dispute the transaction with them. They will force a return/refund, even if you are outside eBay's window.

If you want a replacement for whatever you paid for that one, or you want to keep it, then contact MS. I don't know that I would expect to get much joy from that though.

At best, the IMEI will be registered to someone, and that someone will probably get in a whole bunch of trouble. Unless they gave it away, and didn't sell it.
    Laura Knotek and edid like this.
    01-31-2015 11:15 AM
    What is important to me is to have a fully functional Lumia 930. If it will be this exact phone or a replacement, that isn't of much importance.
    Surely the lowest time consuming solution is the best. But being in this situation it seems I don't have any secure option at all.
    Yes I did purchased the phone from eBay and paid it through PayPal. I've also contacted the seller but till now I haven't got any answer.
    To raise a claim on eBay, the deadline has passed (it takes a long time for the item to arrive from USA to Albania) and I didn't knew that Paypal could force a return/refund also outside eBay for item purchased on eBay through the eBay platform. But surely I will investigate if this is an option.

As for contacting Microsoft, I too think that a replacement probably its a longshot, but at least they can give any info if the phone can be flashed or something similar to get it same as a normal one.
    01-31-2015 11:36 AM
    Seen a very similar thread here on wp central ,where someone got rid their 1020 for a 1520 and that too was a not for resale device , they contacted nokia and explained their predicament,and indeed they wanted it back and exchanged it for a fully functional phone of same model.
    edid likes this.
    01-31-2015 12:27 PM
    I would probably try contacting Joe Belfiore on Twitter.
    01-31-2015 12:38 PM
    Any link on which I can contact Microsoft?
    01-31-2015 01:29 PM
    Worst case, maybe you can just flash it with some other ROM and use it like a normal device? I have read many people doing it here to get Denim earlier, don't really know the ups and downs of it though.
    edid likes this.
    01-31-2015 01:42 PM
    What is important to me is to have a fully functional Lumia 930. If it will be this exact phone or a replacement, that isn't of much importance.
    Surely the lowest time consuming solution is the best. But being in this situation it seems I don't have any secure option at all.
    Yes I did purchased the phone from eBay and paid it through PayPal. I've also contacted the seller but till now I haven't got any answer.
    To raise a claim on eBay, the deadline has passed (it takes a long time for the item to arrive from USA to Albania) and I didn't knew that Paypal could force a return/refund also outside eBay for item purchased on eBay through the eBay platform. But surely I will investigate if this is an option.

As for contacting Microsoft, I too think that a replacement probably its a longshot, but at least they can give any info if the phone can be flashed or something similar to get it same as a normal one.
    Note that eBay's buyer protection starts from when you received the item, not when it was mailed. PayPal extends the dispute period a little, so that could be an option.

In this case, I think PayPal would take up the cause if you explained it to them. If it was misrepresented in the auction (as in, it did not explicitly say "not for resale demo model"), then you can get a refund.

If the seller is not responsive, PayPal will take the money from them, or they will eat it, and refund you.
    edid and Jazmac like this.
    01-31-2015 02:18 PM
    buts problem is this is prototype. you dont know if something wasnt changed before final release... beside that HW revision is old and may have some problems. Best you can is contact nokia/microsoft andd im sure they will exchange it for new.
    edid likes this.
    01-31-2015 02:18 PM
    Can you please give any address on where I can contact them?
    01-31-2015 02:43 PM
    I have already send an inquiry to PayPal to consider open a case and I'm waiting for their answer. As for eBay they already stated that I cant open a case anymore even why the seller didn't specify any of the issues, and described the item as a fully unlocked fully operative Lumia 930.
    01-31-2015 02:45 PM
    Does this help? It's the one for Albania.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=prlw8D3C

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    edid likes this.
    01-31-2015 03:06 PM
    Actually I've seen that, but it's not for Albania, It's for Kosovo and Macedonia, which are both countries near Albania, but not Albania.
    01-31-2015 03:13 PM
    Actually I've seen that, but it's not for Albania, It's for Kosovo and Macedonia, which are both countries near Albania, but not Albania.
    I actually got a few contact pages for Microsoft (I got connections :P) which country do you live in so I can give you the phone number or e-mail.
    edid and TechFreak1 like this.
    01-31-2015 03:23 PM
35 12