Why am I not able to pull down my notification center?

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Having serious issues with pulling down notification center, help!

I just purchased a new Lumia 930, and am using it in the US on AT&T without issues.

I just got the phone yesterday and am noticing that quite frequently, I am unable to "pull down" the notification center. It's as if the phone doesn't register my finger pulling down from the top of the phone.

I have noticed that this happens much more in the following situations:

1) When I am not holding the phone, i.e., when it's on a desk/table, I notice that about 95% of the time I can't pull down the notification center. As soon as I pick the phone up, it works instantly.

2) When I double-tap to wake the phone, the first few seconds I have trouble pulling down the notification center. After a few seconds, it works normally (again, when holding the phone and not having it on a table).

Is anyone else experiencing this? This is very frustrating and I am beginning to think I have a defective phone.

Any insight or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Having serious issues with pulling down notification center, help!

I tried doing that, no luck. Thanks for the quick response.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site

The answer is something u won't admit to urself, and wont like... As some1 who is having the same issue, even from Lumia 920, I gave it some serious thinking and testing. The thing is that the pull down doesn't work properly, is because ur phone isn't touching the screen the right way. When u hold the phone in ur hand, ur finger is touching the screen as it should, so it is registered properly.
The solution - if u do not want to pick up the phone, try to be very precise what u r touching, and the phone will respond in about 70%.

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Thanks. I didn't experience this with a Lumia 920 that I also own.

I realized that when this happens while the phone is on a desk/table, and I put any finger on the side of the phone, then it works. As soon as I am not touching the phone except for trying to pull the notification center down, it doesn't work.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Iina the Magnet

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue, but haven't noticed it until I tried it. For me its not an issue, as it does work most of times. I don't know if there's anything wrong, or just that you're trying to pull it down from an awkward angle.

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried pulling down from the left side, the middle and right side at the top, to see if this makes a difference?

Pl4ub

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
IMO this is happening because of the screen lifting problem L930s have been suffering from. Look the forums.

I have had this same issue since day one, i.e. 3 months. I was too lazy to send the phone to warranty repair until last friday. Now waiting my phone to be returned. Maybe next week, who knows.

It is indeed the best way to repeat the problem setting phone on table and trying to pull down the notif. center. That is how I showed this issue at Nokia Care.

Pl4ub

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

Forgot to report back. Nokia Care changed my screen two times. First screen was even more badly lifted from one corner vs original. Second screen was flat, but the original issue with pulling down notif. center is still there.

My friend just bought used L930 from his friend and has the same issue, maybe not so bad that I have, but pull down doesn't always work.

stokes1510

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

Forgot to report back. Nokia Care changed my screen two times. First screen was even more badly lifted from one corner vs original. Second screen was flat, but the original issue with pulling down notif. center is still there.

My friend just bought used L930 from his friend and has the same issue, maybe not so bad that I have, but pull down doesn't always work.
I also had the problem with screen lift, but dropped mine and the screen, not glass, cracked so sent of for repair got it back two days ago, now no screen lift and no problems pulling notifications down

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
This is driving me crazy too. If I'm not holding the phone then notification pull-down only works maybe 5% of the time. If I'm holding the phone, then pull-down works like 90% of the time. I don't even have to hold the phone. If I put it on the desk and just lightly touch one finger to the side of the phone, then use my other finger to pull down, it will work maybe 70% to 80% of the time. Similarly, if it is just resting in the palm of my hand then pull-down works like >90% of the time. It's like it needs some extra lit bit of conductivity or grounding or something. Very weird, and very annoying.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I got mine from Expansys USA as well. The lack of warranty support is dumb. Microsoft made the phone; shouldn't matter where you buy it, you should be able to bring it to a Microsoft store or send it to them for repair. I'm not likely to take a screwdriver to it, but if I do I'll keep you updated.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

After reading this post I checked and found the same for my 930.

PepsimanLeh

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the problem too! I own a 930 and this really puzzles me. It sometimes works well and other times I would need to apply additional pressure to pull it.

Is this a software issue? Because this problem does not only occur on one type of device so I don't suspect it's a hardware problem.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I've found this, but I think its because the top of the screen is quite close to the speaker at the top and we naturally start the 'pull down' a bit lower than necessary. Try the pull down from the speaker itself and it seems to work more reliably.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I've found this, but I think its because the top of the screen is quite close to the speaker at the top and we naturally start the 'pull down' a bit lower than necessary. Try the pull down from the speaker itself and it seems to work more reliably.

Not for me. I've tried it from every location, angle and pressure level; both hands; thumb, index finger; doesn't matter. Unless I'm holding the device or at least touching the back or side, my success rate is maybe 5% at best.

PepsimanLeh

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I've found this and I think it works 90% of the time (without the other hand holding or touching the phone).

Swipe down from 0.2 cm from the top of the screen (not from bezel) (and I am not American) and it works!

For example, if you are on WC app, swipe down from the "Windows Central" text on top.

Can't wait to hear your responses!

Pl4ub

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. Unfortunately I bought an unlocked version from Expansys-USA, and since the phone is not sold in the USA, I cannot get MS to fix under warranty. No Nokia Care Centers anywhere either.
Has anyone tried this solution (shown in picture)? I am ordering some screwdrivers and will try it to see if it fixes the screen issues.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-930/321671-2.htm

Tried few days ago tightening the torx screws. No help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb