how to put on a screen protector?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

This is sort of lame and paranoid....

I am going to put a screen protector on my Lumia 930 - it's just a film.

Before I do - how do I clean it - can I use alcohol on it to get the initial layer of oil off or will that hurt it?

If I screw up the film (bubbles or misalign) - can I get it off the screen? Will peeling it off hurt the glass (is it treated with anything?)

Thanks,

Mr. V

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Once you take the screen protector from its package, you don't need to clean it. The screen protector is usually covered on both sides. These protect the adhesive layer on one side and the other side from finger prints.

Using alcohol on the screen protector may remove the adhesive layer. Using alcohol on the screen itself may remove a portion of the oleophobic coating. DO NOT USE ALCOHOL. Use a good quality lint-free micro-fiber cloth instead to clean your screen.

Make sure that your screen is free from dust or any other foreign object before attaching the protector. Be especially careful about sand particles, since these can seriously scratch your screen. Using a blower (not your mouth) may aid in removing fine dust particles or animal fur from your screen.

To avoid forming bubbles under the film, start with one side first and proceed from the edge towards the rest of the screen by using a straight-edged object (a ruler or protractor... or your credit card) - this ensures that the air is pushed out of the interface of the film and of the screen.

If you mis-align, you should notice this even before you make it halfway through your screen. STOP immediately and re-align your protector with one of the edges of the screen. The glass is usually treated with an oleophobic coating, but the adhesive from the screen protector will not damage it. Peeling off the screen protector will not damage your screen.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would just use a damp microfiber cloth to clean off the glass and then apply the protector as per the instructions.

A credit card or similar piece of plastic may be handy in removing bubbles.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I do use alcohol to clean the screen protector itself and the phone's body every couple weeks or something, but i think it'll do a number on the oleophobic coating on the naked glass.

Mark Baker3

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Tempered glass ones do not curve around the screen on the 930. Shame really. I find putting a tiny amount of washing up liquid in a cup with some water and dabbing a little on the screen. The fit the protector working from one end and refuse the lint free cloth to push out the bubbles as you work it on. Work away from the speaker vent at the top to. Water in small quantity does no harm.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
You all know that screen protectors are a left-over technology from the days of plastic screened devices like the Palm Pilot etc?

With tempered and chemically treated glass screens, (Gorilla etc) it is almost impossible to scratch the surface without really trying to. Why do you suppose all mainstream OEMs went to glass screens? Just to sell more replacement screens after breakages? Why do you suppose the mainstream OEMs make the screen-layers glued to the glass? Just to sell more screen assemblies after breakages?

Some low cost phones still use plastic and a protector would be useful there, but with glass screens, you are just paying for something that is not needed. The "protector," will not aid saving the screen from physical damage like dropping it or dropping something hard and heavy on the glass.

Save your money and the effort to put it on rather than letting the Urban Myth prevail? If physical damage protection is a desired option then buy a bumper-style case.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You all know that screen protectors are a left-over technology from the days of plastic screened devices like the Palm Pilot etc?

With tempered and chemically treated glass screens, (Gorilla etc) it is almost impossible to scratch the surface without really trying to. Why do you suppose all mainstream OEMs went to glass screens? Just to sell more replacement screens after breakages? Why do you suppose the mainstream OEMs make the screen-layers glued to the glass? Just to sell more screen assemblies after breakages?

Some low cost phones still use plastic and a protector would be useful there, but with glass screens, you are just paying for something that is not needed. The "protector," will not aid saving the screen from physical damage like dropping it or dropping something hard and heavy on the glass.

Save your money and the effort to put it on rather than letting the Urban Myth prevail? If physical damage protection is a desired option then buy a bumper-style case.

Fun fact Palm PDA's used both glass and plastic digitizers depending on time period and cost.

While today's glass is an improvement, its not as scratch-proof as you say it is. My 920's glass disagrees with your claim, and I'm sure many others will agree. I went naked early on in my ownership and a klutz of a friend dropped it a couple feet where it slid on the ground. Result: Three nasty scratches across the back button, the right and left side. (ignoring the tiny ones that appear from normal use)

Of course, plastic film protectors only protect against scratches and not shatters, but the glass on my 920 which unfortunately broke a little while ago actually is held together quite well by the protector - smoothes over the cracks too. itssomething.jpg

However, I've heard of some cool thing called tempered glass screen protectors which take the force of a drop and crack so the main screen its protecting doesn't have to. Haven't tried one personally, but it sounds cool.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I am expecting my tempered glass screen protector to get here friday(purchased on eBay). I'll let you guys know how it works out on my 930. I've used them before but never on a phone with a curved screen like this one.

sportex

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I used a tempered glass protector on my 930. With the screen curving away downwards at the edges, the glass protector would not bend to the shape of the screen so it was possible to catch the edge of the protector, and lifting it. It also looked hideous so i removed it and applied a standard one which looks much better and does not go right to the edges of the screen but it lies perfectly flat.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Glass shields are my favorite by far, but wet install shields are the easiest in my opinion. As somebody who has been paid to install about 500 shields of every variety, the wet installs always turn out the best with fewer failed attempts (other than glass).

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I've used glass on my last 2 phones and swore I'd never go back to plastic. As I said earlier though, just not sure about the curved screen on my 930. We'll see (tomorrow or Saturday)

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Another problem with the tempered glass ones for the 930 is because they are flat and don't follow the curve of the screen, they also will collect a lot of dust,dirt, junk under the edges and it really shows.

Fred

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
But I'm so paranoid.

Actually I have had no screen protector for 4 months - no issues. No scratches.

Of course I screwed up the application of the screen protector and it's the wrong size....

Glad it is not a condom.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But I'm so paranoid.

Actually I have had no screen protector for 4 months - no issues. No scratches.

Of course I screwed up the application of the screen protector and it's the wrong size....

Glad it is not a condom.

and before you know it, BOOM! a tiny Lumia 610 appears!

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I've used glass on my last 2 phones and swore I'd never go back to plastic. As I said earlier though, just not sure about the curved screen on my 930. We'll see (tomorrow or Saturday)

How did it turn out? Does it only cover the flat area of the screen leaving a gap around all sides? Which one did you get?

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
How did it turn out? Does it only cover the flat area of the screen leaving a gap around all sides? Which one did you get?
Unfortunately it was a fail. The 930 screen simply is not made for a rigid protector. Don't think it makes a difference what brand. The screen has too much of a curve.

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately it was a fail. The 930 screen simply is not made for a rigid protector. Don't think it makes a difference what brand. The screen has too much of a curve.

Which brand did you get? I have seen a few that are slightly different shaped and they both were abit narrower in width than the screen. So they would lay a few mm from the edge of the screen on the sides.

Can you take a pic of how yours sits on the screen...just to see its width.....is that where it failed? Or was it at the top and bottom? Or all over?

I plan on getting a case with overhang on the front edges....so if I can find a glass saver that will fit and not lift around the edges....I would like to know if there actually are any.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3