Ditching my 1520.3 for a 930! :)

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Over the past 4 months I've had a love / hate relationship with my 1520. I love everything about it except the famous phantom tap issue.

This phone does it all the time. Often 4-5 times in just a few minutes. Sometimes just a hand full of times a day. One other thing I don't care for is even when you're very gentle putting the phone down, when the surface touches the camera bump, the screen will distort and it makes me cringe.

I got this phone unlocked from a fellow on kijiji un October. Shelled out 600$ cash for it, when I first saw it, OMGGGG it's HUUUUGE! is all I could think. I loved it. I left a 920 for it.

After a few days I got used to the screen size, loving it very much, and if I could pick, Ideally I want a 5.5" screen, but the 930 is my best option.

I recently posted an ad on kijiji, not thinking much of it, saying I'd like to trade my 1520 for a 930. I got a response today from the ORIGINAL seller of this phone (he left it for a iPhone 6+, not because he didn't like it, but because he like to try all sorts of tech). And he said is this you from before? I'll buy it back.

I'm meeting up with him Friday and I'm getting 575$ back for it, it's still mint. I ordered a white 930 off Omegacell.com (where this one originally came from) and it is suppose to be here tomorrow! I'm super stoked!! Gorgeous phone. Omg that aluminum looks slick!! The phone was only 550$ unlocked on their site, I paid 25$ extra in shipping to get it ASAP, found a coupon code for 25$ off and it was done! I'm out the cost of a meal from Mc ****'s lmao amazing.

I did end up getting a message back saying they only had one left in white, but it has been pretreated to be water resistant, normally that's 50$, but they will give it to me for 50% off because they didn't give me much choice. So I took it.

Any body else move from a 1520 to a 930? What are your thoughts after using it! :)

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Lol. I'm doing the opposite. The battery life on the 930 is just terrible. I'm going to give the 1520 a chance. So I ordered a used one off of eBay. It should be here tomorrow. I'm so excited. But I will keep both on me for a few days to see which one I will keep... If I see that I get phantom taps I'll just send it in via warranty. Hopefully I won't have the phantom taps :/ wish me luck! I hope the 930 suits you. It's an awesome phone with superb build quality... But the heating up and battery life is not so good.... :(

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 930

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I've heard/read about the tap issues with 1520 but I would be switching in the opposite direction (erm, I actually don't own either device *toothy grin*)
But like worldspy99 said, "to every one their own."

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Lol. I'm doing the opposite. The battery life on the 930 is just terrible. I'm going to give the 1520 a chance. So I ordered a used one off of eBay. It should be here tomorrow. I'm so excited. But I will keep both on me for a few days to see which one I will keep... If I see that I get phantom taps I'll just send it in via warranty. Hopefully I won't have the phantom taps :/ wish me luck! I hope the 930 suits you. It's an awesome phone with superb build quality... But the heating up and battery life is not so good.... :(

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 930

Hope I don't have the heating issue. We will see. Sounds like my 920 all over again. It's out for delivery so I'm pumped! And I never noticed the phantom taps really until maybe a month in or so. So give it time my friend. I hope you don't get them. And yes, 1520 is amazing, battery life is incredible. After a full day at work I'll come home with 70% battery. Ridiculous

I know a few who have done that...but to every one their own.

If I had to choose, I'd rather phantom tap go away. But it will be a relief to rid of the issue. Other than that I would have kept it

I'm waiting to see what comes out this summer.

That's what I will be doing as well. Considering this upgrade cost me nothing, if a new phone comes out I must have I'll sell it and get a new one:) very exciting

I've heard/read about the tap issues with 1520 but I would be switching in the opposite direction (erm, I actually don't own either device *toothy grin*)
But like worldspy99 said, "to every one their own."

If I had to pick between the 2, I'd pick a 1520. However the issues it brought me, not worth it. It makes me not enjoy using a windows phone. And that's something i never want to experience again

Last edited by a moderator:

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hope I don't have the heating issue. We will see. Sounds like my 920 all over again. It's out for delivery so I'm pumped! And I never noticed the phantom taps really until maybe a month in or so. So give it time my friend. I hope you don't get them. And yes, 1520 is amazing, battery life is incredible. After a full day at work I'll come home with 70% battery. Ridiculous

Well, to be honest, the heating issue isn't HOT. It's warm. But it's not very comfortable for me. I don't like heat digging into my palm. In the winter like now it isn't so bad, but in the summer it'll heat a lot more easily.

It's not an issue. It's a fact. It's the way it was designed. Every person gets the heating at the bottom right corner. If it were the top right, I won't care too much. But since it's where I hold my phone... It gets rather annoying.

About the phantom taps, have you tried what others have recommended in other threads? Sending it for repairs or pressing the top and bottom?

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, we'll have to see how it goes. I'll trade a little heat for a phone that doesn't infuriate me while browsing or getting around the OS. And yes. I've tried evvverryything and I recently even started using it in my pocket with the screen facing out as lots of people suggest that help while pressing the top and bottom multiple times a day, and it hasn't made a difference for me. I wish it did to be honest. I'm excited, yet a little nervous after hearing about the 930 issues, but I'll have to see how it goes

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, we'll have to see how it goes. I'll trade a little heat for a phone that doesn't infuriate me while browsing or getting around the OS. And yes. I've tried evvverryything and I recently even started using it in my pocket with the screen facing out as lots of people suggest that help while pressing the top and bottom multiple times a day, and it hasn't made a difference for me. I wish it did to be honest. I'm excited, yet a little nervous after hearing about the 930 issues, but I'll have to see how it goes

Then you'll love the 930! It runs and works VERY well! Battery life is battery life. And the heat isn't uncomfortably hot. It's just warm.

:) Enjoy your phone!

Would you mind posting your impressions and comparisons here? I'd really like to hear your input on it.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Then you'll love the 930! It runs and works VERY well! Battery life is battery life. And the heat isn't uncomfortably hot. It's just warm.

:) Enjoy your phone!

Would you mind posting your impressions and comparisons here? I'd really like to hear your input on it.
thank you!!

It came in at 10 this morning, uunfortunately it has been a very busy day at work, so I haven't had a lot of time to play with it. I'm using it to type this though! I'll need to get used to the size all over again hahah its just a baby! But I imagine in a few days I'll be used to it! Keyboard is a little tricky to type on because of the size different, colour is great! Screen looks awesome in general. It actually got denim too! Sooo happy about that. I have the Hong Kong varient.

While doing all the updates, and downloading apps and charging at the same time, phone got pretty warm, wouldn't say it got hot though. Very happy about it so far. Will miss the size though, already am a bit. But ill chalk that up to a couple days of getting used to it. So happy that I can sit without it falling out of my pocket, it doesn't open random crap while I browse. Very sexy design too. Like daaaammn

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
thank you!!

It came in at 10 this morning, uunfortunately it has been a very busy day at work, so I haven't had a lot of time to play with it. I'm using it to type this though! I'll need to get used to the size all over again hahah its just a baby! But I imagine in a few days I'll be used to it! Keyboard is a little tricky to type on because of the size different, colour is great! Screen looks awesome in general. It actually got denim too! Sooo happy about that. I have the Hong Kong varient.

While doing all the updates, and downloading apps and charging at the same time, phone got pretty warm, wouldn't say it got hot though. Very happy about it so far. Will miss the size though, already am a bit. But ill chalk that up to a couple days of getting used to it. So happy that I can sit without it falling out of my pocket, it doesn't open random crap while I browse. Very sexy design too. Like daaaammn

Enjoy your sorta upgrade :)!
I personally couldn't live without an SD card. Would use up half of that 32 gb internal with just photos and music alone :p

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! And hot damn, that's nuts! I finished putting pretty much everything on here, still a good 12gb left. I got buy just fine with 32gb on my 920 too! So I'm set for storage! Gotta get used to the screen size omg. What is this? A phone for ants?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Give it a factory reset after getting Denim. Otherwise you'll trigger the slow rotate bug when you take a photo in the new camera app.

Brenda Schnee

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
had no problems with lumia at all,but i think the battery draining problem has something to do with bad signal,the phone internal antenna works in almost triple of the normal in order to get a quality signal

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
So they were so nice and let you pay only $25 for a normally $50 "pretreatment for water resistance?"

Interesting, I thought only car dealerships pulled that type of stunt.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Give it a factory reset after getting Denim. Otherwise you'll trigger the slow rotate bug when you take a photo in the new camera app.

I've never heard of this? Elaborate? It's working great so far. The metal is cold to the touch when you pick up. I love it. So its not over working

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So they were so nice and let you pay only $25 for a normally $50 "pretreatment for water resistance?"

Interesting, I thought only car dealerships pulled that type of stunt.

Lmao I know right. I bet if I didn't use that coupon code for 25$ off, they would have many if these white 930s in stock. They just wanted that 25$ :p

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I've never heard of this? Elaborate? It's working great so far. The metal is cold to the touch when you pick up. I love it. So its not over working

Install Denim, rotate (in, say, IE) works fine. Launch new camera app, take photo, close new camera app. Launch (for example) IE and see slow rotate. Soft reset corrects, but camera use re-triggers. Factory reset solves it permanently. At least seems a universal effect on the 930 and 1520.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Install Denim, rotate (in, say, IE) works fine. Launch new camera app, take photo, close new camera app. Launch (for example) IE and see slow rotate. Soft reset corrects, but camera use re-triggers. Factory reset solves it permanently. At least seems a universal effect on the 930 and 1520.

Hmm interesting! I tested this out, and I'm having the same issue. So you just need to factory reset via the about menu, correct? You're not referring to using the Windows Phone recovery software on PC to flash it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion