GPS Question

hharry

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
It seems like the Lumia 930 only comes with "A-GPS", compared to other devices that comes with GPS (or S-GPS) AND/OR A-GPS.

A-GPS if I'm not wrong, can only work with an internet connection, since it gets data from services, so you either need wifi or celullar data to work with. I wan't to confirm with anyone who has this device, if it truly has no S-GPS meaning you can only use your GPS with internet access, or if it is just an specification issue.

lkcbharath

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
It seems like the Lumia 930 only comes with "A-GPS", compared to other devices that comes with GPS (or S-GPS) AND/OR A-GPS.

A-GPS if I'm not wrong, can only work with an internet connection, since it gets data from services, so you either need wifi or celullar data to work with. I wan't to confirm with anyone who has this device, if it truly has no S-GPS meaning you can only use your GPS with internet access, or if it is just an specification issue.

Don't know where you got that one from. Try gsmarena.com for proper specs. If even my Lumia 525 has both GPS and A-GPS, why not the 930?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

a: assisted
GPS: global positioning
a+ GPS : works with or without cellular signal, but for large changes in Geo location, the cellular (or Wi-Fi) can be used to speed up initial lock.

the gps antenna will work independently.

now go find some cool places to hike. :)

hharry

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
It seems very odd that on phonearena, most of the phones list both GPS and A-GPS, but for the lumia 930 in particular only A-GPS is listed.

Diwagar

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

I guess someone guided you wrong. Who said A-GPS works only with internet connection? A-GPS is kind of superior to normal GPS. GPS solely depends on GPS satellite data. But in A-GPS unit it uses cellular network data in additional to GPS satellite data. So the time to first fix is quicker. It works absolutely fine without network data. To get more insight on A-GPS read the following link from Wikipedia
Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lkcbharath

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
On GSMarena the L930 still has a much better rating than iphone6 or galaxy s5, that's what i like the most! :D

Not to kill your mojo, but if all three had the same number of reviews, would the 930 still be better?

That said, the 930 is comparable to the S6, since even the S6 doesn't have microSD, removable battery, but still manages to have that camera hump. It holds out pretty nice to even the iPhone 6 and Plus.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
This is from MS's specs page on the 930:

Location technologies: A-GLONASS, A-GPS, BeiDou, Cellular and Wi-Fi network positioning, Sensor enhanced positioning

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
It seems very odd that on phonearena, most of the phones list both GPS and A-GPS, but for the lumia 930 in particular only A-GPS is listed.

please see my comment from earlier, or the one below. agps is not 'lesser' than gps, nor is it 'more' than gps. it's an assistance via cellular or wifi (or even just plain old imported data) to initial lock. after that, just like the $900 garmin on the dash, it's using satellites and a bunch of math to display where you are. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte