Wanna jump back to WP. Should I go with 830 or 930?

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Good morning guys,

few months ago (summer 2014) I received money for my Lumia 920 back, as it suffered from bad ALS/proximity sensor 3 times in a row. I decided to wait for new flagship, which I hoped to be announced in fall / winter. Nothing happened.

So I decided to wait for MWC. Still nothing. Now I am really tired with my low end Huawei Android and really want to jump in Windows Phone train again, but I am not sure, which one I should buy. Let me list my pros and cons.

Lumia 830:
+ IPS
+ Glance Screen
+ microSD slot
+ price (cca $280)
- CPU, HW in general
- camera?

Lumia 930:
+ camera?
+ HW
- AMOLED
- no Glance Screen
- no microSD slot
- price ($360 - $400), but still very good price for flagship

I am unsure about the camera. I saw Lumia 930 and 830 comparison on Lumia Conversation and to be honest, I liked L830 photos lot more. Check here: Lumia 930 and Lumia 830 PureView camera hands-on - Lumia UK

But I also think, that this comparison was made on L830 w Denim vs L930 w/o Denim.

Now, when it's almost certain, that we won't see new flagship until fall 2015 (in stores), I think I should buy a phone now (and hold it for like year or so), until they announce, produce, sell and revise their new model.

Guys, please, help me :( I am so undecided. Hope you can understand me, my English is more like Engrish :D

Last edited:

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Haha. Your English is fine. 😁 It really depends on what you want from a phone. I have the 930 and to be honest the battery life is crap. I can't get a day off of wifi. In 9 hours of normal use it'll be dead. But technically speaking the technology inside is a lot better.

I prefer the ips display. I have both the 1520 v 930 and the screen of the 1520 shows truer whites. The whites on amoled is yellowish. Buy you wont notice it until you have them right next to each other. After seeing the screen difference I can't go back to amoled whites on the 930.

But I will tell you that the 930 is a good phone. Awesome build. Great call quality. Dependable in performance.

I haven't had the chance to play with the 830 but it seems like a good phone! Decent camera. And good battery life.

A deal breaker for me now is the sd card slot...

Butiulca Tudor

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
i think you should go for Lumia 930, i saw a comparison betweet lumia 930 and 830 and 930 is a lot faster at opening apps, games, the front camera on lumia 930 is really bad....

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Thx for your opinions, guys. As you can see, I like more things on L830 than on L930, except the camera and HW. Keep in mind, that this phone should be just temporary solution for my need of quality device until something better appears.

Personally, I never considered Lumia 930 as a true flagship phone, as it lacks microSD slot and the best feature of WP devices - Glance Screen. The only thing, which is holding me from running to the store for L830 is worse CPU.

I am really interested in mobile photography, but not sure if is better to have 4K video and better CPU or microSD & Glance. Really hard dilemma, Microsoft :(

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Don't know what you mean by "mobile photography", however if you mean digital photograhy I would recommend a inexpensive dslr for that and then, since you're looking for more of a "temp" phone until a new flagship is released, then the 830, which I have.
I had a 930 and sent it back, it had all the "problems" you'll find talked about on this forum and the battery life was too bad for me.

:)
Fred

lbeezy2188

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a 830. It is slower than the 930 but it doesn't cripple the phone. The price is nice for all the features you get. For mw having the SD slot and removable battery sends it over the top. It runs everything the 930 can and takes excellent pictures. Glance screen is also there. The only thing you are truly missing out on is the "Hey Cortana" feature with the L830.

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Fred, thx for your post. In fact, I have DSLR (old Olympus, but still working :)), but I like taking photos with my phone and "pushing the limits". Btw, that's why we all have Lumia phones, isn't it? :)

lbeezy, thank you too. As I am from Czech Republic, I don't really need (or can) use Cortana. There is no support by Microsoft, no local data on Bing, etc., so there are no benefits. Also, I tried it, but I feel strange talking to my phone in English in public :D

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
If it's a temporary phone why not get yourself a nice 635 and save your money to get that flagship later.

Sent from my YP-G1 using Tapatalk 2

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
The camera on the 635 (no flash, etc) my not suit the OP needs.
Maybe the 640 or 640Xl though.
Priced low with good features (and supposedly avail. next month).
That would almost certainly work well as a temp. phone for now.

:)
Fred

If it's a temporary phone why not get yourself a nice 635 and save your money to get that flagship later.

Sent from my YP-G1 using Tapatalk 2

Iina the Magnet

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I thought about this same question a long time, but I went with the 930 in the end. I don't regret it at all, I haven't had a problem with the battery life, on average I get 15-18 hours before charging it. I use lte/4g on it.

Camera is actually pretty good, especially after denim. I'm not very good at it, but the pictures I do take look good on computer as well 😊

Heat issue isn't an issue on my phone, it warms up on intensive use, but I've never found it any hotter than what my Lumia 800 got. And it's the same as my husbands LG g2.

I like the screen on 930, but I like amoled screens more. That's completely up to you there. The 830 has a really nice looking screen from what I have looked at it in stores.

Either way you can't go wrong, they're both nice phones 😊 I also like the design on 930, it feels sturdy in hand, and for me it's a nice grip.

anon5999636

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If it's a temporary solution, you will love the 830. I got one last week and it's a great phone for the price. It's light, thin and premium looking. Games like Asphalt 8 runs very well and doesn't heat the phone. I will wait for a Lumia 940 too and got 830 to test Windows 10. 😏

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I will throw out there that you may find an inexpensive L1520 or L1320, either of which are top end to this day. But since they have been out for over a year each, they are available fairly reasonable. Like James8561 mentioned, the L1520 takes second to no WP, Android, or iOS for features, camera, and support, and the 1320 is second to none in mid-range.

But, since you are not asking about those, I vote the L830 for your purpose. It has been a real trooper as far as real life performance. It will be a nice bridge from point "A" to point "B". It is not top end in any way, but is reasonable enough to get you by to Summer/Fall.

Only if camera is something you cannot compromise on would I recommend the L930. I have no personal experience with it, but as far as Lumia's go, the complaints have been fairly consistent.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Why not go with the 730/5? Sure it's not a flagship, but it's way cheaper and should also give you what you want (unless you want a superior camera experience). I bought the 730 to patiently wait for a flagship phone, been great ever since (excluding the camera, since if you compare it with the Xperia Z2 it loses quite far).

The only reason not to get 830 I could think of is the price. Bang for your back is not up to par.

I'll also probably steer clear of the 930, as it would get hot often and has no micro-sd support. I say only buy the 930 if you want a top performing phone, though with a WP OS I see no need of that.

furkanavshar

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 830's lens and Pureview tech is better than 930's.
Also L8xx series is the most seamless and perfect serie of Lumia. There is no heat issue, no purple tint issue, no battery drain with Lumia 830. So I would choose Lumia 830. SD card, removable battery and back plate, IPS LCD display and -OMG- Glance Screen support is a big dealer for me.

anon(5843918)

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
If you are considering to buy the windows 10 flagship when it is released, I would seriously consider the Lumia 640 as it is much more wallet friendly and has very similar specs to the Lumia 830. The only drawback with the 640 is the ok camera, it doesn't have ZEISS or OIS, but it you're not a huge camera fan it shouldn't be a big problem. Also the new windows 10 flagship should easily best any previous camera modules (except probably Lumia 1020) and will come with all the bells and whistles (ZEISS, PUREVIEW OIS etc)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb