No Glance then what?

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Still puddling about between an 830 and 930 and just read the 830 has Glance, the 930 not. Since I will be only buying either one for the camera, teh rest doesn't matter, well, not until I just read about Glance.

I assume "Glance" is the screen (lock-screen??) when you first click the on-button and it displays my dog's picture, :) Time and Date. I use that a LOT. Not for the dog-pic, but I don't wear a watch so flicking it on and checking date and time is my watch.

So, if no Glance, what does the 930 have at turn on?
Is it possible to have a lock screen with Time and Date on a 930?

Assuming of course, that I am correctly understanding just what "Glance," is. :)

{edit}
Just saw a video and it showed the box with a screen-shot of what I am referring to. If it is on the box, is that the screen is starts up with that also shows Public Holidays or my Calendar events for the day?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
TBH I love this feature, especially for meetings or group assignments.. I can set Glance to "always show" for a short meeting or just to "peek" for longer meetings.. "Always show" can drain battery so "peek" is best. Just pass your hand over the sensor and the screen will light up :D

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Phew. OK Ven, thanks for that clarification.

I am glad I had added the "I am correctly understanding just what "Glance," is" as clearly I did not understand what it is/was. :)

I will be happy with the lock-screen time and date as I do not use the phone for emails and do not bother the the social stuff. What? No faceplant or twatter? How do I survive?
LOL Quite nicely, thank you. :)

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I had Glance on my 925 and used it regularly, however, since using my 930 without the Glance, I can't say I miss it

To me there is little difference between me waving my hand over the phone to get some notifications and me pressing the lock button once to bring up the lock screen for a few seconds, which displays the same info.

I mean if my hand is "Right There" at my phone while waving over it, why don't I just push the button and be done with it?

The Glance is one of those Neat features you can show your friends, but having a 20MP Camera, a **** tonne of microphones for recording surround sound HD Videos, wireless charging, pretty good screen resolution, having "Hey Cortana" and a bunch more features the 830 just doesn't have, certainly makes up for not having a small clock pop up on the bottom of a black screen.

My first Lumia was the 800. I then moved to the 925 and now the 930.

I will not go back down to the 800 series. While I liked the 800 during its peak, being spoiled with the 925 / 930 kind of set me in mh ways now.

The 930 is kind of the slightly smaller version of the 1520.... Similar specs I am told, just a smaller screen and lower price.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Just double tap the screen, and you get the same info as what's on the glance screen. Or push the power button, but I just double tap. Time, calendar items, and notifications show up.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
To me there is little difference between me waving my hand over the phone to get some notifications and me pressing the lock button once to bring up the lock screen for a few seconds, which displays the same info

True, but some here would argue that MS needs to add the option to every phone, just because it's so unique... Well, it was unique once upon a time (knock-knock feature; Android)

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Glance is a must for many WC members including me. That's the best thing the Black update brought (enabled) to my 928. Not many WP have it and I think MS must add it to all feature phone. Like me there are many who didnt buy 930/icon because they don't have Glance

Igor_BL

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Glance is a must for many WC members including me. That's the best thing the Black update brought (enabled) to my 928. Not many WP have it and I think MS must add it to all feature phone. Like me there are many who didnt buy 930/icon because they don't have Glance

That's exactly the reason why I didn't buy Lumia 930, and got myself Lumia 830...

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

True.. This was the reason I decided to skip out on the 930.. Am regretting that decision somewhat tho lol

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I have both an 830 and 920 (both of which have Glance), though I'm only been using the 920.
I don't use Glance at all, simply a little double tap (which works perfectly all the time on the 920, the 830 is really fussy about how double tap is done) and I get to see what I want,
No looking like some magician waving my hand around :p

:)
Fred

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Yup, I agree, my also.
That's the only thing that I miss from the Android phones I've had before.
Just a quick look at the phone, from even the other side of the room, gives visual confirmation and any new notification(s).

Fred

Would like to have the traditional blinking LED as alert.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
To each his own I suppose, but I can't imagine not buying the 930, in favor of some of the other phones, because of glance.

If you don't want it because of non-LTE capability (in the US), I can rationalize that. But glance? That lose me. I missed glance (coming from a 920) for about a half minute when I switched.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon