Lumia Reframe doesn't work anymore (lumia Creative Studio)

Exup

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

Maybe someone can give me an help...

Until today, after I took a photo with Lumia Camera 5, and editing it on Lumia Creative Studio, I was able to "Reframe" the photo...
Now, instead of "Reframe", it only appears "Crop" :-(

If I use Lumia Camera Classic, I'm able to directly "reframe" the photo (using directly the access via left upper corner)...

Does anyone know any workaround?
I have Denim installed.

I tried soft reset, uninstall and install LC5 and Lumia Creative studio...with no Success :-(

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

Maybe someone can give me an help...

Until today, after I took a photo with Lumia Camera 5, and editing it on Lumia Creative Studio, I was able to "Reframe" the photo...
Now, instead of "Reframe", it only appears "Crop" :-(

If I use Lumia Camera Classic, I'm able to directly "reframe" the photo (using directly the access via left upper corner)...

Does anyone know any workaround?
I have Denim installed.

I tried soft reset, uninstall and install LC5 and Lumia Creative studio...with no Success :-(

If i open a picture in the Lumia camera 5 or in the photo hub and i push on the edit (pencil) i get a list of editors.
The top one is crop, rotate, autofix (build-in photo editor).
If I use this crop function I can choose which part I want to "cut".

If I use the crop function in Creative Studio i get fixed "cuts like 1:1, 4:3 etc" but if i tap on the picture it is still kind of possible to choose which part i want. But not so easy as the crop in crop, rotate, autofix.

I hope you kind of understand what i tried to explain.(actual never used it but i was experimenting a little bit)

Exup

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
If i open a picture in the Lumia camera 5 or in the photo hub and i push on the edit (pencil) i get a list of editors.
The top one is crop, rotate, autofix (build-in photo editor).
If I use this crop function I can choose which part I want to "cut".

If I use the crop function in Creative Studio i get fixed "cuts like 1:1, 4:3 etc" but if i tap on the picture it is still kind of possible to choose which part i want. But not so easy as the crop in crop, rotate, autofix.

I hope you kind of understand what i tried to explain.(actual never used it but i was experimenting a little bit)

hi, thanks for trying to help...

But the problem is that I don't want to Crop. I want to reframe the 16Mp photo without loosing quality.
With the Crop, you're simply cutting the 5Mpx photo...
With Reframe you may zoom in the 16Mpx photo without loosing (almost) any quality.

Do you have a 930 or 1520? it's supposed to have the "reframe" button instead of the "Crop"...

does you have the reframe "icon"?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
hi, thanks for trying to help...

But the problem is that I don't want to Crop. I want to reframe the 16Mp photo without loosing quality.
With the Crop, you're simply cutting the 5Mpx photo...
With Reframe you may zoom in the 16Mpx photo without loosing (almost) any quality.

Do you have a 930 or 1520? it's supposed to have the "reframe" button instead of the "Crop"...

does you have the reframe "icon"?

I have the 930.
In the Lumia classic camera I see the reframe icon in the left bottom side. Same as you.
In the Lumia camera (5) i do not have it (same as you).

I can "only" open the 5 MP picture in the Lumia camera classic and then i see the reframe button and i can reframe it.
If i open the 16MP picture it "does not open" in Lumia classic camera but i see on the bottom several icons share, edit, save and favorite. But no reframe. I guess it's the same as you.

But i found below link.
The difference between 'cropping' and 'reframing' when there's no oversampling
After reading it i could come to the conclusion that a 16MP picture is not "over sampled" but a 5MP picture is.
So that would mean that there is "no difference" between reframe and crop for a 16MP picture.
What is your conclusion ?

Also cropping and reframing are often used "wrong"
Maybe Microsoft now just calls everything cropping and your phone "makes" the difference or in other words prevents that you use "quality"
But because the Lumia camera is "old" they use still the "old" reframe name.
What do you think.

Hope again that this helps?

Exup

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the 930.
In the Lumia classic camera I see the reframe icon in the left bottom side. Same as you.
In the Lumia camera (5) i do not have it (same as you).

I can "only" open the 5 MP picture in the Lumia camera classic and then i see the reframe button and i can reframe it.
If i open the 16MP picture it "does not open" in Lumia classic camera but i see on the bottom several icons share, edit, save and favorite. But no reframe. I guess it's the same as you.

But i found below link.
The difference between 'cropping' and 'reframing' when there's no oversampling[/url]
After reading it i could come to the conclusion that a 16MP picture is not "over sampled" but a 5MP picture is.
So that would mean that there is "no difference" between reframe and crop for a 16MP picture.
What is your conclusion ?

Also cropping and reframing are often used "wrong"
Maybe Microsoft now just calls everything cropping and your phone "makes" the difference or in other words prevents that you use "quality"
But because the Lumia camera is "old" they use still the "old" reframe name.
What do you think.

Hope again that this helps?

Thanks a lot for helping.
On that website you have another article using Lumia camera 5 and reframing.

Reframing on Lumia Camera 5 (and with Denim), is now used using Lumia Creative Studio.
The reason is because the camera could act faster and leave the processing (using another CPU Core) to other app (creative Studio).
that's why you can now take much more fast photos (both 5MP and 16MP) without having to wait.

The example you gave with Camera classic is the "old way" of Nokia doing reframing.

Now (with Lumia Camera 5), you should be able to "reframe" (instead of Crop) in Creative Studio.
I have mine working until yesterday :-(.... It the icon was different in the options of Creative Studio.

Please check the example below and tell me if you can do it:

(I can't post links yet, so please add the URL on the browser please)
allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/20437_How_to_reframe_PureView_photos.php

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
This is the link
How to: reframe PureView photos under Lumia Denim

No i also can not do it i only have the crop option and not the reframe.
I took a picture 5+16 MP (16:9)
I used creative studio and cropped both pictures in 16:9 so actual the total picture.
The 5MP picture was original 1.26 MP and became 0.925 MP after crop
The 16MP picture was original 4.29 and became 0.802 MP after crop

So i have the same problem.

Edit
I just snapped a picture for above test but when i look to the uncropped and cropped 16MP picture, on my phone, i think that the cropped one was "better". Furthermore when i checked the exif date from the cropped 16MP the width and height where exactly the same as from the 5MP picture.
And if i compared the original 5 and 16 mp picture in also think that the 5mp picture looks better.
But i will check more tomorrow.
So now my idea is that the 16MP picture if you crop it will get about the same "treatment" as the 5mp picture in the Lumia camera.

Last edited:

Exup

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the testing and the help 😊.
I'm not feeling alone anymore :D with the problem.
I had this feature working till 2 days ago... I uninstalled and installed both apps (Lumia camera and creative studio) with no success.

With the reframe, we can expect a Better result, because it uses the 16MP photo to "zoom in"(instead if cropping) until 2x, and the end result is a 5MP Picture with no loss of quality (comparing to the 5MP photo cropped).

The web link shows clearly that we have a problem...

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
no more ideas to solve the problem? :cry:

I have a 1020 i used to have the reframe option directly under the picture but gone with the latest update.
However If I go to the camera roll and on the screen I select the open in lumia camera it swings directly to the reframe option.
In another instance if I open the camera itself and access the camera roll from there select the need photo and when full screen tap on it I see the reframe option right under the photo .
It might help you in Classic app I am not sure of the Lumia camera 5 as MS has neglected to give the 1020 a faster cam.
BTW the crop option resolution is not the same as reframe option. ( Just an observation on my 1020)

Exup

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1020 i used to have the reframe option directly under the picture but gone with the latest update.
However If I go to the camera roll and on the screen I select the open in lumia camera it swings directly to the reframe option.
In another instance if I open the camera itself and access the camera roll from there select the need photo and when full screen tap on it I see the reframe option right under the photo .
It might help you in Classic app I am not sure of the Lumia camera 5 as MS has neglected to give the 1020 a faster cam.
BTW the crop option resolution is not the same as reframe option. ( Just an observation on my 1020)

Hi, thanks in trying to help :smile:

I f I use the "Lumia Camera Classic", I'm able to reframe directly (touching on left upper corner, opening last foto, and I get the option "reframe").

This situation is now, we should use the Lumia Camera 5...and on this, we should edit and reframe it on the Lumia Creative Studio (in order to improve the performance of the Lumia Camera 5).

I know that reframe is different of cropping... and this is the MAIN problem... I can't reframe the photos anymore, using lumia creative studio :-(.

yetanotherguy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
same here.... using 930 on Denim.... can reframe if image is captured using LCC, but not when captured with LC5 (even when opened in Lumia Creative Studio)..... :(

Exup

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
same here.... using 930 on Denim.... can reframe if image is captured using LCC, but not when captured with LC5 (even when opened in Lumia Creative Studio)..... :(

hopefully some kind of patch will be released....

Mine was working for some days...and then... no more :-(

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here, I think. I have a Lumia 930 with Denim, Update 2, and the latest versions of Lumia Camera 5 (LC5) and Lumia Creative Studio (LCS).

I also cannot "Reframe". LCS only shows an option to "Crop". If I take pictures with Lumia Camera Classic (LCC), which I downloaded this morning, I can Reframe within LCC. If I take a photo with LCC, then open it in LCS, there is no Reframe Option. So annoying!

yetanotherguy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
although it says crop (and not reframe), I still get the entire full res image to reframe even when shot by LC.... try capturing an image with LC... cropping it with LCS (and saving it).... check cropped image from gallery, and recrop using LCS, you will see the original image outside of your cropped region dimmed out...

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I guess I'll try a few comparisons tonight. If it is just a labeling difference, it would be nice if MS communicated these things. I can see them wanting to simplify, and certainly the crop vs. Reframe distinction could confuse some people. Again, just tell us.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
The reframe option was directly available in Classic Camera but was replaced with "Rich Capture Edit" on Lumia Camera 5.

However the reframe option is available on Lumia Creative Studio.Below are the screenshots.

Sent from Lumia 1520 via Taptalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150421_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20150421_0001.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 3
  • wp_ss_20150421_0002.png
    wp_ss_20150421_0002.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 3
  • wp_ss_20150421_0003.jpg
    wp_ss_20150421_0003.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 4
  • wp_ss_20150421_0004.jpg
    wp_ss_20150421_0004.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 3
  • wp_ss_20150421_0005.jpg
    wp_ss_20150421_0005.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 3

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The reframe option was directly available in Classic Camera but was replaced with "Rich Capture Edit" on Lumia Camera 5.

However the reframe option is available on Lumia Creative Studio.

Not to be mean, but we know. That was already covered in the thread. The OP actually discussed specifically the loss of the Reframe option in Lumia Creative Studio when editing photos taken in Lumia Camera 5.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
You guys are talking about refocus right? Re-adjusting the focus back to something else if you just missed the focus onto something else?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3