Hidden picture files?

supercrazypete

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I recently got a 930 with denim installed. I noticed that there is a somewhat irritatingly large numbers of folders associated with pictures: camera roll, my pictures, public pictures, sample pictures and saved pictures. And within 'my picture there is another different 'camera roll'. Weird, but whatever.

Now, when I browse these folders from my PC (win 7 with app) using the file explorer, the same folders show up as when I view them from the 'files' app on my phone. So far, so good.

Now, I recently moved my pics from the camera roll to my PC, and it shows empty in both phone and PC explorer. I have 4 pics in "my picture" and 6 in "saved". The odd thing is that the start tile is set to shuffle 'all photos', and yet it is showing older photos that were transferred a week ago, and are not in any folder I can find through 'files' or browse with my pc. This is after a power cycle so I assume they are not in RAM....so where are they? I assume they are taking uip space somewhere.

Thanks,

Pete

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I recently got a 930 with denim installed. I noticed that there is a somewhat irritatingly large numbers of folders associated with pictures: camera roll, my pictures, public pictures, sample pictures and saved pictures. And within 'my picture there is another different 'camera roll'. Weird, but whatever.

Now, when I browse these folders from my PC (win 7 with app) using the file explorer, the same folders show up as when I view them from the 'files' app on my phone. So far, so good.

Now, I recently moved my pics from the camera roll to my PC, and it shows empty in both phone and PC explorer. I have 4 pics in "my picture" and 6 in "saved". The odd thing is that the start tile is set to shuffle 'all photos', and yet it is showing older photos that were transferred a week ago, and are not in any folder I can find through 'files' or browse with my pc. This is after a power cycle so I assume they are not in RAM....so where are they? I assume they are taking uip space somewhere.

Thanks,

Pete

Thanks for the detailed narration, Pete.

Back when I had limited storage with my HTC 8s, I was so critical with the "Others" Storage. I noticed that this "Others" storage increased when the amount of photos in my phone increased. It also further increased when I enabled the OneDrive auto back up feature for my photos - which is a feature that adds thumbnails to my Photo Hub. Since both of these increase the number of thumbnails in the Photo Hub, it seems logical to propose that the thumbnail data are in the "Others Storage".

I also noticed that the Others Storage decreases when I delete or move my photos from my phone to my PC... but it took some time before. Now, luckily, we have the ability to clear some of it using Storage Sense > navigate to either phone or SD Card (Phone in your case) > Temporary Files > Delete. For some reason, deleting the temporary files also deletes some of the files in "Other".

Hence, you may try clearing the temporary files from your phone (as indicated above) and then see if the Photo Hub image cycling is updated (i.e. the older photos disappear).

Welcome to the fora, by the way.:cool:

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
The 'my pictures' and the other camera roll probably came from your PC. You copied or synced pictures and had folders selected instead of just the pictures in the folders. The 'my pictures' folder did not get installed by the phone. All the others should be there.
The thumbnail pics you see are just that, saved thumbnails that don't get deleted when pics are removed. Don't worry about the space they are temporarly stored and will go away in time.
If you want to remove them try going to settings, storage sense, phone. Let all update and tap 'temporary files', Delete files that are not in use.

supercrazypete

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to both of you for the reply. I went to the temp files after letting it update and it showed 0 bytes in temp files. I deleted anyway, but the pics are still cycling in the tile.

As long as they are just thumbnails I'm not really worried since they don't take up much space. I was more worried there was another folder or something I was missing.

Thanks again,

Pete

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to both of you for the reply. I went to the temp files after letting it update and it showed 0 bytes in temp files. I deleted anyway, but the pics are still cycling in the tile.

As long as they are just thumbnails I'm not really worried since they don't take up much space. I was more worried there was another folder or something I was missing.

Thanks again,

Pete

if you want to "refresh" the pictures in the photo tile you have to unpin the tile and then pin it again. Or change it for a single picture, choose a picture, and then change it again to "all" or favorites.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo