The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    I believe in maximum battery life. I use all the tips and tricks mentioned in this form to save the battery life. In case of mobile data, I turn off the mobile date, when not using it. Additionally I also change the connection from 3G to 2G when not using the mobile date.

Now my question is, is the connection change from 3G to 2G, really helpful in conserving the battery life, or is it wastage of time?
    03-23-2015 07:25 AM
    Drainage due to data is typically down to how good the connection is. If the area has a great 2G connection over a lousy 3G connection then you'll get a better battery life out of 2G. If you have a great 3G connection then 2G and 3G will be similar.

The signal strength is the key. If it's bad, regardless which one you use it will be quick.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-23-2015 07:35 AM
    According the spec for a lumia 930 there is a difference.
    Maximum talk time (2G): 21,7 hour
    Maximum talk time (3G): 17,9 hour

So if talking in 3G uses more battery then talking in 2G then I would presume that if you "only" use 2G during "standby" also would use less then 3G.
    So in best case it would save 20% of battery if you do nothing more then making a call with a phone but because you use it also for other things this 20% will never be realized.
    And the 2G and 3G coverage should be "perfect" or better said "equal".
    TheLumaniac and maverick786us like this.
    03-23-2015 07:51 AM
    According the spec for a lumia 930 there is a difference.
    Maximum talk time (2G): 21,7 hour
    Maximum talk time (3G): 17,9 hour

So if talking in 3G uses more battery then talking in 2G then I would presume that if you "only" use 2G during "standby" also would use less then 3G.
    So in best case it would save 20% of battery if you do nothing more then making a call with a phone but because you use it also for other things this 20% will never be realized.
    And the 2G and 3G coverage should be "perfect" or better said "equal".
    This. I should also mention that it's not just 2G/3G. Turning off WiFi, Bluetooth, Location and NFC when you really don't need them can really help you improve your battery life (Bluetooth does not consume much battery, but there is no reason to have it on if don't need it).
    03-23-2015 10:02 AM
    This. I should also mention that it's not just 2G/3G. Turning off WiFi, Bluetooth, Location and NFC when you really don't need them can really help you improve your battery life (Bluetooth does not consume much battery, but there is no reason to have it on if don't need it).
    I already do that.
    1) NFC & Bluetooth are always off
    2) I turn off WiFi, if I am not using it.
    3) Battery saver is always off
    4) In the background, I have only allowed WhatsApp, facebook, Cortana, Insider, Weather Flow, Skype and Windows store to run on background. Rest of everything I have disabled.
    03-24-2015 12:02 AM
    03-24-2015 01:14 AM
    I already do that.
    1) NFC & Bluetooth are always off
    2) I turn off WiFi, if I am not using it.
    3) Battery saver is always off Do you mean on?
    4) In the background, I have only allowed WhatsApp, facebook, Cortana, Insider, Weather Flow, Skype and Windows store to run on background. Rest of everything I have disabled.
    Well, your phone seems to be able to last more than a full day (1 day and 11 hours is quite good). If you want even more, then you may have to disable background usage for even more apps (if you are willing to do so and you don't really need background usage). Moreover, you may have to consider reducing your screen brightness (if it's not on automatic mode), even just a little.
    maverick786us likes this.
    03-24-2015 08:35 AM
    Also be sure to turn off that Kids Corner in the settings.
    maverick786us likes this.
    03-24-2015 08:54 AM
    Kids corner is already off. There is a reason, I have enabled those 4 applications in the background, so that I can receive notification for those applications. Is there a way to enable notification by disabling it in background?

My calling is hardly 3-5 minutes on daily basis. So switching from 3G to 2G will hardly make any difference. But Can it make the difference with standby time?
    03-25-2015 04:31 AM
    Kids corner is already off. There is a reason, I have enabled those 4 applications in the background, so that I can receive notification for those applications. Is there a way to enable notification by disabling it in background?

My calling is hardly 3-5 minutes on daily basis. So switching from 3G to 2G will hardly make any difference. But Can it make the difference with standby time?
    My first guess it was but because you asked i try to find out.
    See below Nokia Lumia 930 - Battery

No difference.

But according this the talk time is longer in 3G then in 2G so different then the spec on the MS site. And different what i read in other articles.

Maybe this is also an interesting one.

http://android.stackexchange.com/que...y-save-battery

So if you do not talk that much then it probably does not matter if you use 2 or 3 G even if one saves more then another and standby does also not make a difference.
    Last edited by Harrie-S; 03-25-2015 at 07:26 AM.
    03-25-2015 06:58 AM