Hello,

This is my first Nokia Lumia phone. I thought it was the flagship of the Lumia line.

Does it have any hardware advantages beyond the camera? It's a quadcore - right? I think it runs pretty fast - but how does it compare to the 1520, 1020, 830?

The screen is amazing

It does lack a memory slot which sort of sucks.

I think it is as awesome phone.

But is the hardware superior in anyway for running a Windows OS?

Thanks,
    Mr.V
    04-12-2015 12:36 AM
    930 is basically a smaller version of the 1520, with the same hardware. You don't have to worry about the performance. It's quad-core, it's fast, and in 2015, the hardware is still considered high-end. Of course, the 930 outperforms the 1020 and 830, no doubt. The display is truly amazing. The camera is still one of the best out there. This phone won't be outdated at least in one year from now. And don't worry, this little beast is more than capable of running Windows smoothly.
    Enjoy your 930, and welcome to the world of Lumia. :)
    04-12-2015 12:45 AM
    There's good specs comparison at Microsoft Lumia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (but being Wikipedia, I couldn't comment on how accurate it is).
    04-12-2015 12:49 AM
    I own the 929/Icon - the Verizon version of the 930. Also have a 520/928, and between reading a lot:

Slightly dated processor - realistically, where we will feel this is probably in power usage.

Camera is *not* as good in low light (and when I say low, I really mean 'practically none') as the 928. f/2.4 versus f/2, it really has to work harder. Firmware revisions have improved this though.

The camera is amazing outside, and in any decent light, and reframing and oversampling is something you get used to really quickly.

The glass is durable. However, the slightest trace of glass etching cream on your finger is bad. Go figure. (facepalm)

The loud speaker on mine is absolutely the worst on any phone I've ever had, back to regular home cordless phones even. (The 928 had an amplified speaker with a very hard to obstruct grille, basically the opposite).

No microSD is a bummer. Quad mics are great. Dual LED flash...meh. (Yes, I would like to see MS throw the small xenon module in every higher end model, but...)

Decent size, but a little big. I kind of think maybe 5" is where hideaway virtual buttons get wise. I mean, it is just barely not right for me - that slight size and weight balance.

Battery life - probably the weakest aspect - get a couple Qi pads though.

Beauty screen though.
    xandros9 and vEEP pEEP like this.
    04-12-2015 11:55 AM
    One more thing - the camera/shutter button. Makes having bystanders take a picture easy as pie.

"Here you go, just push this button, yep, just like a real camera!"
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-12-2015 11:56 AM
    My N8 had a Xenon flash and that thing was AWESOME! I miss that. I suspect though it took a lot of battery power, maybe that is why they went with dual LED?

One more thing - the camera/shutter button. Makes having bystanders take a picture easy as pie.

"Here you go, just push this button, yep, just like a real camera!"
    04-12-2015 03:27 PM
    My N8 had a Xenon flash and that thing was AWESOME! I miss that. I suspect though it took a lot of battery power, maybe that is why they went with dual LED?
    TBH, I have no idea. You can fire an LED more frequently, or use it as a torch, but the 1020/928 flash module *includes* an LED for video. Regular P&S cameras get plenty of shots with (bigger) xenon flashes.

Xenon can't fire quite as frequently, but the delay is pretty short and the shots are a lot better.

I have noticed my 928 seems to be locked to 1/30s shutter speed when using the flash though - maybe a limitation of the electronic shutter?

Most likely is the cost, a few pennies here and there and the accountants win the day (and the war continues to be lost)...
    04-12-2015 10:23 PM