Lens distortion correction

yetanotherguy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It is currently becoming pretty common for cell phones to have a wide field of view. This is really good for capturing pictures of landscapes and such... however, for portrait photography this can lead to very undesirable effects, especially as your subjects land up in higher fields of view.... given that I capture a lot of images of people with my 930, i was wondering if there is a profile or app that I can use to correct the lens distortion induced by the wide angle lens on the 930.... could not find good pointers on the net...

fjordstrom

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi!
I often post photos taken with my DSLR, but I also need to correct the lens a bit as straight lines become a little bit "round".
I found out this week that I can do this in the app Fhotoroom. It doesn't have a standard lenscorrection profile, but you can manually set how you want to correct the photo. It's under the "Pro" button.

yetanotherguy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I know it's probably not that useful to the everyday Joe or Jane.... but given how the Lumia top line is aimed at photography enthusiasts, it would have been nice for the inbuilt camera to have the option of applying lens distortion correct while shooting images itself.... yes, you can use simple apps to rectify things but you can't beat applying the correct profile - automatically!! But as I said, may not be something that users realize but it's definitely useful.... tomorrow XYZ company (great at marketing) will apply this and sell it as the next best thing since sliced bread... again.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Definitely something I've noticed on phones I've used recently (Lumia 920, 1020 and 930; iPhone 5s). My "solution" has just been to shoot a little wider than I need, then use the Reframe option in Lumia camera to crop. Obviously that's not a great solution.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Actually the new Photos app in Windows 10 has an auto correction for this built in. When you auto-correct a picture it also corrects distortion.

userw10

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Yes but the point here is to work with DNGs so you can do your processing on the desktop using lightroom, camera raw, rawtherapee, etc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium