Lumia 930 or Lumia 640?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You're comparing a nearly top-of-the-line phone to a new budget phone.

What do you value in a phone? One's just about top-of-the-line (got fancier features like wireless charging, a nicer camera...) and one's a newly released budget phone. (the essentials are there, not as fast, but with a much lower price tag)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I dont think it'll matter. 930 if you insist on an answer though. Choose based on what it is since both are going to see updates anyways.

Diwagar

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I would suggest 930 as the SD800 processor will utilize the full potential of further release too which is not possible with SD400 processor.

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes from them 2 models definitely get the 930 ,myself due to its great value I'd consider the 640 as a backup phone 📱 although I do wish my 930 had a card slot like 640 has

Intense Soul

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Do you have much data that has to be carried? ------- 640XL wins
Do you love to see Glance Screen on your device? --- " "
Do you want a new device? or a High end device?--- depends on what you choose.
Do you want to take a high quality pics? 20Mp --- 930
Is battery important for you? 640XL is packed with 3000mAh removable battery.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
930 has 4K Video Capture with multiple microphones for surround sound.

Hey Cortana, better screen, RAM, CPU, Wireless Charging, 20MP camera.... Seriously if you are looking for a phone that will last a while before feeling dated in Hardware, you're better off with the 930.... In another year or so the 640's will start to struggle. The 930 is older but it has power to keep it relevant for a while yet.

Look at jt this way, it beats the IPhone 6 in almost every area.... And the IPhone 6 came out after the 930.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
The 640 is very capable and easily passes as a daily driver. I'd go with a 640 and keep the change in my pocket.

With a 640 you'll get much better battery life.

supadryz

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok hard to compere the 2 but here we go. If you like taking photos Lumia 930 hands down & all other specs for this matter. but if it's just phone calls & space for i.e music then the 640. only due to being able to upgrade to a Micro SD card with is an catastrophic mistake with the Lumia 930.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Ok hard to compere the 2 but here we go. If you like taking photos Lumia 930 hands down & all other specs for this matter. but if it's just phone calls & space for i.e music then the 640. only due to being able to upgrade to a Micro SD card with is an catastrophic mistake with the Lumia 930.

Meh I dunno. The complaints about no SD on the 930 is like the complaints about lack of apps in the Windows Phone Store.

I have never come close to filling up my 32GB. I take lots of photos and max quality videos, plus a pile of apps and songs. The closest I got was having only 8GB or so left.

I regularly copy my pictures and videos over onto backup HD's and the PC and then clear off all the old stuff from my phone. Not because I'm always worried about running out of space but because I like to move my stuff to a more secure device that stays at home. Once on there, I no longer need most of it on my phone and free up my space.

Even if I had an SD card, chances are it would remain empty because I never fill up my internal storage. If I did, sure an SD would be lovely to have, but I haven't needed or desired one yet.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
In one month, I will replace my L625. I am thinking to buy one of these two phones. Which is the right choice: Lumia 930 or Lumia 640? Thank you!

Just going to repeat something I posted in a different thread...I can appreciate that you want real world experiences from folks using the phones you are considering for purchase. However, IMO, basing your decision completely on what you read in these posts would be a mistake. Just a suggestion....be very clear with yourself as to what you expect from a phone. Everyone has different priorities-screen or battery or speed or camera or size, etc. Then research the hell out of it. I really like my 930 but that's just me.
Also, for older phones, look at Pocketnow "After the buzz" videos. They look at phones some months after initial hype is over. They did a great one on the 930.

Mr Philo

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
The 640 is very capable and easily passes as a daily driver. I'd go with a 640 and keep the change in my pocket.

With a 640 you'll get much better battery life.

When you say a much better battery life by how much?

The Lumia 930 just has around 20% after I get home from work.

What I'm trying to say what improvement did you see? Like say, your Lumia 930 lasted 10 hour, how much extra did the 640 last?

Darren Mather

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Agreed re the 'After the buzz' review. Really good review.

640 XL has lots going for it, screen size, SD card, and maybe its just me but I prefer the onscreen nav bar, rather than the buttons on the 930. (i've always preferred onscreen buttons since they started having them on android)

My downside with the 640XL is that the SD400 processor will not stand up as well as SD800 over time, and the 930's screen is stunning. There are ways round lack of SD card etc, but you cant plug a more capable processor or screen into your phone once you bought it. #imho anyway.

jerkwad_robot

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
I own both the 640XL and the 930. Ordered both to see which I felt more comfortable with.

• Much better feel in hand. I am used to Sony phones, and they're a little heavier, feel better.
  • Screen on the 930 looks better. The XL resolution is a bit to BIG for me.
  • Can connect to 5GHz Wifi
  • Speaker is much louder than the 640

640XL
  • Very diminutive for a 5.7" device. Light, could barely tell it was in my pocket.
  • Battery seems to be close to insane levels with general use. 930 needs some tweaking to get me more than 30% at the end of a day.
  • SD storage obviously
  • LTE connectivity on AT&T in Denver

In short, I am back on the 930, with a few tweaks to optimize battery (I can use it when I want / need and still have <30% at the end of the day to play around with it). If the 640 XL had a better pixel density, I'd probably keep it, but the 930 screen just looks sick. Plus, I move around to different customer locations, and 5Ghz wifi is kinda the standard these days. 640 only supports 2.4Ghz wifi.

I really don't mind connecting via HSPA+ on ATT with my 930. Let all the noob ATT clog up the LTE towers :). The 640, I think, offers LTE for more than just ATT.

I also figure, if I am collecting ~31GB of stuff on my phone, I am not using the 'cloud' the way I should be. I haven't had a brush with the storage limit, so it seems fine to me now.

I honestly couldn't tell you a difference in cameras, only because I've not snapped much with either of these.

Just my .02

jerkwad_robot

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
When you say a much better battery life by how much?

The Lumia 930 just has around 20% after I get home from work.

What I'm trying to say what improvement did you see? Like say, your Lumia 930 lasted 10 hour, how much extra did the 640 last?

That 640 will probably add 8 hours under normal use. Total guess, but it is VERY kind power wise.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
That 640 will probably add 8 hours under normal use. Total guess, but it is VERY kind power wise.

Yes, if you are looking for a really long lasting battery, you wont get it in the 930. I love my 930 and battery life is more than adequate for me but I am not a heavy user. No gaming, not a photography buff and don't do a lot of social network stuff. The screen is beautiful,it's fast and the camera is great for my purposes. Don't have a 640 to compare though. My 930 lasts from charge to charge nightly with about 30% left at the end of the day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb