8.1 update2

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I got it and am pretty happy with it. No issues for me yet. Favorite feature: Settings groups. Least favorite: All apps -> on the bottom of the start screen. Nit picky? Yes, and I'm probably the only one who doesn't like that..

b0nz1

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Already tried the reset, it was uneffective... But i found the defect be in line with the scaling problems they talked about...

Again. Post a screenshot! I would like to see what you mean.

My 3 day experience with a Lumia 930 on GDR 2:
Great settings menu, same battery life as before, no performance problems (I strongly recommend a hard reset, because I tried it without and I noticed some lag which wasn't there before the update and these issues are gone now), no problems with notifications, no problems with microfone and the app permission settings work as you would expect. For example I accidently declined Lumia Camera 5 the permission to use the microfone and when I started the app i got a message that there is no permission for the microfone- the message brought me right into the settings, I changed it back and it worked.

I do not regret the update even it took me several hours because I had to flash my device first.

Alfabassist

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I can't post a screenshot, already downgraded, and i'm not going to upgrade again.

The problem is little. And perhaps you won't notice it, but i'm a bit obsessed about the screen, so had to downgrade.

Try this, open bing news, and watch how characters are displayed. You should notice the top pixel of some random letter missing, in other points there is too black around some characters.
It should be evident watching facebook newsfeed from the app, in the square of shared articles...

This is due to the pentile 1080p not yet perfectly supported in the upgrade, and it's the cause 930 wasn't selected for the win 10 preview.

I've had a 920 constantly on DP and i noticed that when the released the full upgrade with the firmware, the phone got snappier.

930 firmware is not optimized for GDR 2 and i'm not going to use it again, i fear to shorten the life of the display matrix uncorrectly driven...

b0nz1

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for describing and sharing you issues!

My eyesight is very good (at least 20/20 vision) and I consider myself also picky when it comes to resolution. For example I had the chance to test the Lumia 1020 and I just couldn't stand the display because it was so heavily pixelated compared to my Lumia 920 with the same resolution but RGB. The Lumia 930 was a big upgrade to my 920!

I find it plausible, that the subpixel rendering for pentile is not optimized in the update for the Lumia 930. The problem is I just can't see it. We are speaking 441ppi, and even in bed where my viewing distance is usually lower I never had the impression that I can see individual pixels. Ever.

I tried what you said and opend MSN News (the new bing News) and tried really hard to make out any flaws in the characters- I saw none. No matter how hard I tried. The only thing I noticed was that the big fat white fond on the startup page looks weird if I look closer. The normal headlines and the font of the actual articles look perfect. I also should mention that I never use MSN News.

Also I haven't noticed any change in the Facebook App which I use on a daily basis.

There is no way, this update could threat any harm to the display since the actual drivers are just affected by the firmware (and even the firmeware shouldn't be able to harm the display, since the drivers themself should be designed to stay in the operational range of their specificaitons).

The question is: Is this difference distinguishable in a screenshot?

Alfabassist

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
I use Rudy Huyn 9gag app, in the layout where it shows the comments of a picture is the place where character issues was more visible for me, you could use this as a last try to discover if your 930 is affected, too.

My 920's panel after about a year started displaying white almost yellow, so i don't believe they have long lifespan anymore.

And i'm not really impressed by the 930's display in any case. Yes, resolution and viewing angle improved a lot, but ghost effect when scrolling is almost doubled, and this thing disappoints me very much. At first sight the display seemed a downgrade for me for that reason...

b0nz1

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I saw something similar in the Baconit App for Reddit in the "story" box. There the characters look somtimes but not always a bit crippled. I don't know if it was there before but I noticed it two days ago and I just looked it up and it is still there. These kind of boxes are rare and I am not bothered by this.

My conclusion to this for now is, that there could be an issue and if there is one I don't notice it. The advantages of GDR1 on my Lumia 930 still outweighs the downsides which I don't expericence at all!

To the display in general:
The ghosting was something I noticed immediately on the first day. But it was something I got used to very fast and I find it only apparent while scrolling plain text.
The infinate contrast ratio on the other hand is pure joy. For expample yesterday's bing picture of the day with the bright green caterpillar on black background look so beautiful on this display!
It's definitly not a perfect display, but I would choose the infinate blacks any day over not having the ghosting effect.

The last thing I want to mention is the redish grey issue. The only time I notice it is in automatic brightness surrounded by a completly dark environment. Even than I managed to minize the red in the gray tones through the advanced color profile. I noticed the problem, but it isn't something that bothers me any more.

I like the display very much!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism