Dropped my phone...and now the volume button isn't working right. Oops

vc-10

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
My lovely, pristine, Lumia 930 slipped out of my pocket getting in the car this morning, and fell onto the hard concrete of the drive. I've only had it 3 weeks since the insurance replaced the one I lost! Anyway, it held up remarkably well, with just a couple of little dings in the aluminium rim around the phone. However, the volume up button is now feeling kind of weird. It works, but it doesn't have that satisfying click of the other buttons. Any idea how I can solve this?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I am wondering if the board may have moved a little inside the case. The board inside of a 930 fits pretty tightly, and the buttons on the side line right up with them, so it might have misaligned. Either that, or the plastic insert on the case that actually pushes the button on the board might have slipped a little.

I can't think of another reason why that would be, except that some of them don't seem to click much anyways, so maybe you never noticed it before now?

A caution - it is easy to break the buttons on the side of the board, if you were inclined to try to take the back off and take a look. If you break the buttons on the board, you pretty much have a parts phone. Unfortunately, I broke the buttons on the first two Icons I took apart, and was left to part them out, recovering about half of what I paid for them. It's sort of a crummy feeling when you realize you just ruined a $300+ phone.

So, it's probably best to just leave it be, unless you're very comfortable opening it up.

If you have any questions on how to do it without ruining your board, feel free to PM.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Maybe you could contact Nokia care. They could send a replacement device or fix it - always worth it to just check.

I'd say, if it works, do not mess around with the insides unless you know what you're doing. You're more likely to break it.

Good luck ;)

vc-10

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's what I feared. I popped the back off (it's really easy- I was contemplating getting an orange back cover anyway so saw the how-to online). I don't want to fiddle, but it all looks fine IMO. The button looks no different to the volume down, which works fine. I think I'll just live with it.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
My lovely, pristine, Lumia 930 slipped out of my pocket getting in the car this morning, and fell onto the hard concrete of the drive. I've only had it 3 weeks since the insurance replaced the one I lost! Anyway, it held up remarkably well, with just a couple of little dings in the aluminium rim around the phone. However, the volume up button is now feeling kind of weird. It works, but it doesn't have that satisfying click of the other buttons. Any idea how I can solve this?

Just be glad your phone didn't do what my 800 did when I was in the same position. Slipped out of my pocket, hit the concrete face down and smashed the screen.

Lucky drop

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3