06-04-2015 03:12 PM
58 123
tools
    Yes, I've seen a few users around the forums, that did just this. If you're going from the 1520 to the 930 then battery life will be an issue. Screen size and speed will also be an issue..

All I can say is, it will just take some time to get used to these issues and after that they won't even be issues lol
    I started by saying that I've seen users around the forums jump from one to the other. The fact that I started with that statement seemed (for myself) enough of an indication that whatever comes after that would be what I saw from them..

The issues with speed and battery life are not drastic (you won't wait for 30 seconds, but 3-5 seconds). Some make a big deal about those few seconds.
    Again, after saying that speed and battery life might be an issue, I made sure to add that some users make a big fuss about it, so again, it wasn't based on my own judgement (and I also wanted to note that I mostly disagreed with the notion that people wanted to compare them so much)

Edit: All in all, I know that many 1520 users would tell anyone that was wondering if they should ditch the device, even though it's running without any problems, that they would be insane to do so. The only reason to leave the 1520 behind at this point is simply, the size..

Keep in mind that I also pointed out that the 930 is a great device, because I have personally played around with it for a few days
    04-28-2015 03:27 PM
    You said that you've seen people go from the 1520 to the 930. That's all you said
    Then you said as if it was a fact, (not based on other people reviews mind you) as if they were your own conclusion, that speed WILL be an issue. There was no disclaimer there.
    But regardless though, the 930,is an amazing phone. I should know, I'm using one now ;-)
    Do u encourage me to switch from 1520 to 930 ??
    04-28-2015 05:00 PM
    Thank all for your input.

I am been doing some reading about the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800, 801 and 805. It seems to me that there is little difference between the 800 and 801, but a small jump between it and the 805 and an even greater jump compared to the 810.

My problem is that if I buy the Lumia 930, I will be stuck with a 2013 series CPU and GPU for the next 2 years or so. How fast does the Lumia 930 feel in use? Can I expect it to run the upcoming Windows 10 upgrade well? I love the design of the phone but I am slightly concerned about the processor and how well it will age.
    05-02-2015 12:46 PM
    My problem is that if I buy the Lumia 930, I will be stuck with a 2013 series CPU and GPU for the next 2 years or so
    we share the same problem... As for how well it will handle w10.. Wait a few weeks. The new insider update will support 930's and I'm sure a few users will install it immediately lol

Feedback is coming
    05-02-2015 04:11 PM
    I honestly think at this point as one who owns the 930 that waiting for another flagship from Microsoft is the way to go. Get a Lumia 640 or something to tide you over and save the extra money for the flagship when it comes out. Would be a much wiser decision honestly.
    Laura Knotek and ven07 like this.
    05-02-2015 08:57 PM
    I can get a new Lumia 930 for 240. That is just a little more expensive than a L640 or 830.

Considering that the new MS flagship will likely cost 400+, would this be a good deal? I expect it will be able to run Windows 10 reasonable well.
    05-03-2015 06:55 AM
    I thought I would let you all know that I have decided to buy a Lumia 930 in white.

Link - https://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/nok...ked-white.html

Hopefully I won't get a unit with hardware issues, like overheating or a purple tint.

Will post my first impressions when it arrives.
    raydwatts and ven07 like this.
    05-04-2015 01:57 PM
    I thought I would let you all know that I have decided to buy a Lumia 930 in white.

Link - https://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/nok...ked-white.html

Hopefully I won't get a unit with hardware issues, like overheating or a purple tint.

Will post my first impressions when it arrives.
    The 930 is a great phone. We have 2 in the family and no problems at all.
    (and a 1020 + 920)
    I don't miss glance at all and I love the camera!
    ven07 likes this.
    05-04-2015 02:30 PM
    Thank all for your input.

I am been doing some reading about the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800, 801 and 805. It seems to me that there is little difference between the 800 and 801, but a small jump between it and the 805 and an even greater jump compared to the 810.

My problem is that if I buy the Lumia 930, I will be stuck with a 2013 series CPU and GPU for the next 2 years or so. How fast does the Lumia 930 feel in use? Can I expect it to run the upcoming Windows 10 upgrade well? I love the design of the phone but I am slightly concerned about the processor and how well it will age.
    I agree with your concerns in regard to it's longevity. I have a 930 and the thing flies and has no issues. That being said though, there is no telling how it will perform with WP10 moving forward, at least until the Insider Update.
    05-06-2015 09:16 AM
    Hello all,
    My Lumia 930 arrived a few days ago.

I am absolutely delighted with it. Aside from the minor issue of the text blurring when you scroll, it is perfect. Really fast, great design and the battery is long enough to last the whole day.

Thank you to everyone for their input and advice. It is really appreciated. :)
    Tareq27 likes this.
    05-13-2015 12:05 PM
    Hi there, I have been using my new 930 for around two weeks too. I guess I have to adapt to the text trail when scrolling because AMOLED screens are like that.

I do have heat issues too, but I can't return this device 'cause this is the last gold black 930 they have. Sometimes I turn off my mobile connection and let it cool down.

I have a question though. Will using the white background burn the screen faster than dark background?
    05-14-2015 02:58 AM
    Hi there, I have been using my new 930 for around two weeks too. I guess I have to adapt to the text trail when scrolling because AMOLED screens are like that.

I do have heat issues too, but I can't return this device 'cause this is the last gold black 930 they have. Sometimes I turn off my mobile connection and let it cool down.

I have a question though. Will using the white background burn the screen faster than dark background?
    Hmm you should probably send it back for repairs since there is no replacement. I sent my 920 for repairs (motherboard replacent) and after that it seems to be under control. I too would like to know if white burns the screen faster than black, i can however tell you that heat will cause the screen to burn, eventually, especially if the phone is hot (where it actually hurts to touch it).
    PepsimanLeh likes this.
    05-14-2015 03:29 AM
    Is 32gb sufficient? I am too thinking of buying one but I have no idea of how big the photos would be.
    Is the heat problem widespread?
    05-14-2015 03:40 AM
    Is 32gb sufficient? I am too thinking of buying one but I have no idea of how big the photos would be.
    Is the heat problem widespread?
    it depends on your usage. If you take a lot of pictures (like a very great deal of them) and don't transfer them to Onedrive or your pc here and there your memory will eventually be full. Anyway, 32 gb is indeed enough for most users.

heat is not a problem since Denim update for me. My phone only gets very slightly warm sometimes.
    05-18-2015 08:02 PM
    32 GB should be enough indeed, I think. I still have around 19 GB free after installing everything and that should be enough with OneDrive around.
    Mine does get hot (I do not think too hot) but only with certain games and I myself do not play often.
    05-19-2015 01:00 AM
    Hmm you should probably send it back for repairs since there is no replacement. I sent my 920 for repairs (motherboard replacent) and after that it seems to be under control. I too would like to know if white burns the screen faster than black, i can however tell you that heat will cause the screen to burn, eventually, especially if the phone is hot (where it actually hurts to touch it).
    I think it's not heating up so much these few days. I try to not to play games during charging.

Though, sometimes my screen flickers. Does anyone else experience this? Is this a defect?
    05-19-2015 06:51 AM
    I think it's not heating up so much these few days. I try to not to play games during charging.

Though, sometimes my screen flickers. Does anyone else experience this? Is this a defect?
    Mine has occasional screen flickering as well. I think it's one of the issues with the 930. Honestly doesn't bother me at all.
    05-19-2015 08:49 AM

I use the dark background but as far as I know, the only problem with the white background with amoled is that it uses more battery. Have had amoled with 5 phones and never had a screen burn in issue.
    Also, I hard reset after updating to denim and that helped the heating issue a lot.
    05-19-2015 08:53 AM
    Mine has occasional screen flickering as well. I think it's one of the issues with the 930. Honestly doesn't bother me at all.
    Honestly, I can live with it but I can't stop thinking that I got a second grade hardware everytime it happens.
    P1ng0fDeath likes this.
    05-20-2015 06:59 AM
    I use the dark background but as far as I know, the only problem with the white background with amoled is that it uses more battery. Have had amoled with 5 phones and never had a screen burn in issue.
    Also, I hard reset after updating to denim and that helped the heating issue a lot.
    I don't mind the battery usage when using white background, cos I love it. Haha. But the white on amoled does look a bit strange, doesn't it?

And do you have text trailing thing on your other amoled phones?

Although my 930 black gold ships with Denim, it still heats. I assume the heating issue was worse before Denim. Honestly this is not good also with Denim.
    05-20-2015 07:02 AM
    I think it's not heating up so much these few days. I try to not to play games during charging ...
    Playing while charging? For me even reading something for a while while charging would let my L930 become hot like crazy.
    Is that normal?
    05-20-2015 11:32 PM
    For the first week my Lumia 930 got extremely hot very quickly, especially when charging. In fact playing Asphalt 8 while charging made the phone unusable. It was simply too hot to touch and hold comfortable. Despite this it has begun to settle down over the past few days and the battery life doesn't appear to drain as much. It still gets warm when gaming but not to the point where it is a concern.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    05-21-2015 06:45 AM
    Be warned that the 930 is a little over a year old, and is pretty much barely sold brand new anymore, so if you get a used model, then there is a 50/50 chance you'll be out of warranty, and both the 1520 and 930 are known for some nasty defects that if you won't be covered for if it's a used out of warranty model.. SO MANY 1520's are accumulating "ghost taps " from flexing in pockets, which indeed get worse and eventually ruin the phones experience (IMO) if you get them , and the 930 is known to get hot and recently I've seen many icons/930s accumulate an ugly green screen spot from overheating.. botg are great phones! But just consider what you may face.. the 830 is a safer buy, as it is newer and will be protected under warranty from defects
    Just my 2 cents
    05-21-2015 08:27 PM
    As a 930 owner, it is a nice phone. I don't use it as much because here on t-mo USA, I don't get LTE. I know of at least one online seller that has them in stock for $340+$35 for shipping. This includes all 4 colors and the 2 gold edition models, and with the standard warranty. These are folks I trust as I've bought among other phones from them a white lumia 920 and a purple Z Ultra. I was going yo get my orange 930 from them too but snagged a white one from swappa at a killer price.

It is a nice phone still. The issues are well documented. As long as you're comfortable with that, it is a solid buy for a phone that's officially almost a year old.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    05-21-2015 08:52 PM
    I have a family member that travels quite a bit, and wanted a secondary phone to their Lumia 1520 (which they love). They didn't want to keep swapping SIMs. Aesthetics are important, and both of us think the gold versions of the 930 and 830 are stunning (so are the original options).

I decided to go ahead and recommend the gold 930, cognizant of the issues. I guess I felt comfortable having read from plenty that have no problem with the device. I have the 830 and have no qualms with it, but this person isn't the type of tech enthusiast that buys phones all the time, so I recommended the 930 as it probably will age better given the specs.

Hope they don't experience too many issues with it.
    05-21-2015 10:03 PM
58 123