Purchase the 930 or wait for a new flagship?

tj_moore

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm in a similar position. I'd buy the 930 in a flash if it wasn't for a few niggles that make it not quite perfect and that perhaps the 940 might fix. Then again we may not know if the 940 is the perfect (or near perfect) Lumia until a year later. There are also Windows 10 issues to iron out. I haven't looked at the phone version much, but the desktop preview I use as a developer to see what's coming up and frankly it's way off release quality.

Anyway, 930 can be had for around ?220 - ?250 in the UK now which is not bad considering it's flagship. Then again a little less and could get the 640 or 640XL which are new, decent spec for the price, but they would be a compromise compared to the flagship.

Basically need to replace an antique Galaxy S2 that's utterly bricked now and I'm bored and somewhat frustrated with Android. I come from a Nokia background with only a couple of phones since the mid 90s that weren't Nokia, though I've not had a Lumia and thus Windows Phone, though have played with it and prefer the UI to Android. I'm also more tied to the Microsoft ecosystem than Google, not to mention mainly a Microsoft developer.

So need a phone now, so waiting for 940 is no go. Whatever I get though may be kept until the 940 or whatever is mature, so 630 compromise for a couple of years or 930 for not too much more? (which seems much nicer but has issues like poor battery life and overheating, though maybe not much of an issue). Battery life is important to me though as the old S2 struggled to last half a day especially if it's on 2G/3G, even with almost everything turned off and data limited. Though was also finding the latest Google app updates were a major cause for eating the battery. Seems they want phones to consume vast amounts of data all the time and depend on phones having bigger batteries and users to have larger data plans.

Hmmm decisions... :smile:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
thanks everyone for there opinion
I will wait for the new Lumia to come out (let the iPhone work till the death)
one Q for the US guys here
if I will buy a sim-free version (the sell will probably start at the US) how do I know it will work in Europe?

SIM-Free is still locked to the carrier in USA. So the device will be locked to AT&T - 640XL. If you need a good place to buy the fully unlocked version for cheap, PM me.

tj_moore

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Going with the 640 myself. On comparison, looking at the compare on GSMArena, I can live without the better camera and most of the 930 enhancements for the lower price (?130 in UK for 640) for now, and it's a newer phone with some things the 930 doesn't have (better range of network bands for example, and of course a microsd slot), and hopefully better battery life.

finbaar

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Going with the 640 myself. On comparison, looking at the compare on GSMArena, I can live without the better camera and most of the 930 enhancements for the lower price (?130 in UK for 640) for now, and it's a newer phone with some things the 930 doesn't have (better range of network bands for example, and of course a microsd slot), and hopefully better battery life.

I had a L830 for a couple of months and that was a fine phone and performance wise it should be very similar to the L640. However the bump up when I got the L930 was noticeable and it is the right device for me, particularly at the price I paid. But I don't mind buying used which isn't for everyone.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

finbaar

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The L 640xl is now available in the UK for ?180. The one to go for if you can handle the size.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
577$ for a 930? Wow and I thought mine was a bit over priced. I just bought mine two weeks ago for 525$ It's the gold and black edition. I only had it for 3 days but I LOVE IT so far, battery life for me is debatable. And it seems to run hot if you use it for a couple of minutes.

Of course since the 930 never existed in North America it came with the European AC adapter.... luckily I have the Lumia 635's AC adapter to use it with.
The gold 930 currently trends at around $360.. $525 is steep... that price dropped really fast

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234