Trying W10TP tomorrow

svaethier

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Wish I did. Kind of surprised it disappeared after rolling back even though I initially got it without the W10TP. Since I'm off work for a week, I think I'll try the W10 again, but will do a hard reset before install. At least I know the recovery tool works.
If anyone is aware of a fix for my disappearing mms apn input area, please let me know.
Only fix I could think of is hard reset after your install win10 on your phone.

JoaoCSM

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
It was only available briefly through the Windows Insider app before it got pulled.
You probably won't get it back for now.

Is is not true. I updated to WP8.1 Update 2 last friday (8 days ago).

I rolled back. What a pain that was. Does anyone know how to get Update 2 back?

Yes.

Roll back to WP8.1 Update 1. Do not restore phone.
Install insider app, sign in to insider fast.
Check for updates. It will find GDR2. Start download.
Install GDR2.
Do a hard Reset (as when you roll back you will be forced to hard reset (wipe phone) ther's no big deal).
Now you can restore phone if you like.
Done

X54TH

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I got the Update 2 back and turned off notification for the TP10. All is good. Just don't know how to get 2 out of date Apps back. The Window Store would only allow me to download and manually install the XAP file but that's not so easy because we have no SD Card. Anyone know how to install an the Appy Geek (XAP file) app as an example onto the 930?

Last edited:

anon(5725119)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I rolled back as well. I wasn't getting notifications for texts, had to open the app to see if I had new messages. I use the photos app a lot as well and that's not good enough to use in its current state.

Putu Oka

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
i press "check for update" and I even dont have windows 8.1 update 2 (denim 2)
how you have win10 guys? is it depend on country?

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I got the Update 2 back and turned off notification for the TP10. All is good. Just don't know how to get 2 out of date Apps back. The Window Store would only allow me to download and manually install the XAP file but that's not so easy because we have no SD Card. Anyone know how to install an the Appy Geek (XAP file) app as an example onto the 930?
got back to 8.1 denim with update 2 and now it's smooth sailing. hope you can get your Appy Geek back as well. Have to say I really liked several things in the W10TP. Looking forward to a more complete/stable build the next time around.

Last edited:

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't do it, absolutely awful, please tell me this is no where near final, it's not even alpha and I hard reset as well, so hope I can roll back OK, otherwise the phone is going in the bin

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
wish I had gotten here a little earlier today to let you know that you might expect problems with mms thru Straighttalk. I had given a friend my old Samsung Focus (with Windows 7.8) earlier this year and it was pretty easy to activate and for him to get used to the phone with Straighttalk as his carrier, with the exception of being able to get or send mms. I initially thought it might have more to do with the phone's older OS than the carrier but after some more research at XDA site I found that it was a fairly common problem with Straightalk. I eventually got through their first line of defense at the Straightalk customer support phone number and was able to speak with a technical support supervisor that fairly quickly resolved the problem although he was not able to disclose what the actual issue is or how he resolved it

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
wish I had gotten here a little earlier today to let you know that you might expect problems with mms thru Straighttalk. I had given a friend my old Samsung Focus (with Windows 7.8) earlier this year and it was pretty easy to activate and for him to get used to the phone with Straighttalk as his carrier, with the exception of being able to get or send mms. I initially thought it might have more to do with the phone's older OS than the carrier but after some more research at XDA site I found that it was a fairly common problem with Straightalk. I eventually got through their first line of defense at the Straightalk customer support phone number and was able to speak with a technical support supervisor that fairly quickly resolved the problem although he was not able to disclose what the actual issue is or how he resolved it
The Focus was never able to get mms on Straight Talk without some flashing. I had one and flashed a Nokia rom to get the mms. I haven't had any issue with Straight Talk mms(for the most part) until I downloaded the 10TP. There was literally nowhere to input the mms apns. On 8.1 there is a toggle to enable manual apn. That didn't exist in the 10TP as far as I could tell. Maybe I missed something.

LeFreak

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Install the Windows Insider app and set it to the FAST track.

Then, check for updates.
It's still available. I updated to it about four days ago.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
After much contemplation about using my daily driver (Lumia 1520) and hearing all the concerns and issues people were having (after all its still a technical preview). I decided to purchase a 520 on go wireless of AT&T, and without subscribing to any plans, using wifi, have been able to update Windows 10 TP. I will say that I've only used a 920 and 1520 so I'm used to the processors having the robustness to deal with the taxing apps and required memory, but I was pleasantly surprised that the 520 wasn't half bad. I'm able to utilize all the new apps (new store, Xbox, music and video apps, voice recorder, which I love, outlook calendar, and the office suite apps).
I've you're stuck on the aesthetics of Windows phone 7 and 8, then you might be disappointed. I however love the universal merge that you see taking place on the Windows ecosystem. The store app on Windows 10 mobile looks just like the PC app. The office apps are amazing. I like where the Xbox app is heading. It's like Xbox smartglass and steroids. I like the music app. Some may say it resembles the player on iTunes, but it looks like a generic music player. I like it.

Ultimately if you're looking at updating to Windows 10 mobile TP..I would highly advise you to use a phone that you're not needing. I understand wanting a more spec heavy phone, but you'll be pleased with the 520, 521, or 635. All are capable of providing you with the Win 10 experience.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I would say thats good advice Pierre, get a cheap as chips (sorry UK expression for non-expensive) Nokia 520 and test it out and the up and coming builds on that, not your flagship fantastic daily driver 930, its just not any where near ready yet.

Ssrki

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I forgot to uninstall win insider and now I have notification that the download is available. I don't want to download it. One question now, when other and better build goes out will I get it or first need to install this one?

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I forgot to uninstall win insider and now I have notification that the download is available. I don't want to download it. One question now, when other and better build goes out will I get it or first need to install this one?
I think the downloads are cumulative, that is to say if you don't have W10TP installed, it will start from the beginning and download everything.

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
seriously I would recommend you wait, my phone is not the same and the latest issue is even more resuming until it gets red hot and the apps disappear just because they can. I have sent feedback and they keep asking if I would recommend this build to friends and I said no. Maybe in the final version it will be on my desktop but August can't get here quick enough for me to ditch this 1020

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Tried the 10 preview on my 930 and rolled back within an hour. Yesterday I put it on a 635 ($47 from walmart) and it's a totally different experience. Very usable and I'm actually having fun playing with it. The W10TP simply does not run well on the higher end phones right now. By using it on this 635, however, I can really start seeing the potential.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I got it in the first hour it was available, I went back to WP8.1.2 next day. It only lasted 24 hours and then I felt the craving to go back to W10M. I have been using it ever since. It has its bugs and glitches but I am ok with it now. I find it more fun to use than WP8.1 and I find it ugly but more closer to my desktop than WP8. So I am staying here. It isn't that bad anymore after a totally clean install.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I got it in the first hour it was available, I went back to WP8.1.2 next day. It only lasted 24 hours and then I felt the craving to go back to W10M. I have been using it ever since. It has its bugs and glitches but I am ok with it now. I find it more fun to use than WP8.1 and I find it ugly but more closer to my desktop than WP8. So I am staying here. It isn't that bad anymore after a totally clean install.

Actually, after using the 10TP on the 635 for a day, I'm really tempted to try it again on my 930. Using it on the 635 helped me get over the fear and allowed me to discover the positives about W10. When I put it on my 930, I quickly became overwhelmed with the differences and bugs. Pretty sure I will be putting it back on my 930 by tomorrow. Using the recovery tool without problems helped my confidence as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss