GPS battery drain

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I use Here Drive for GPS and my battery on this phone literally lasts 3hrs when using it without a charger - no good for longer journeys... Anyone else have this issue or do I have a crap battery? Any ways to cut down use? Thanks!

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
No GPS navigation is a real battery drainer (and not really useful without continues charging)
You could however switch of the screen to save battery. So you only hear the voice.

Last edited:

Diego Ceccacci

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Even the position drains battery for me, it looks like something in my phone keeps asking where i am..the position circle is almost always visible, i disabled it in the end

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
no, the GPS antenna is not a huge battery drain.

applications that USE the gps antenna, and keeping the screen on full bright, are very big battery users though.

make sure you are using OFFLINE maps, and nothing like traffic or other online data, and the battery will last a long long time.

i currently use gps applications on android and the battery will last for over a day while tracking rides, if the screen is only automatically turned on for waypoint/navigation . with the screen on constantly, it will only last about 12 hours.

find out what is using your gps, and you'll find out what is killing the battery by constantly doing calculations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb