How many of you LOVE the 930

SaltedSquirrel7

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
+1 to the storage point. I went out this weekend and took quite a few photos using Rich Capture (which I know increases storage requirements anyway), but my photos jumped from about 300MB to 2.5GB :O

Would love to see the 940 (or whatever comes out) have 64/128GB versions and/or expandable storage via MicroSD

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I love my 930. To each their own!

Also -it's built by Nokia - big deal for me.

I'd like to see a notification light on it...

Otherwise so far, so good! I don't plan to replace it for a couple of years. I don't care about flagship phones, I care about what I need.

Mr. V

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't see why the windows button can't just blink to be the notification light... phones without hardware buttons would be left out, but whatever... part of keeping the cost down on a phone to allow it to be a competitive budget device is nixing features and stuff so oh well...

I'd very much like to see us people with hardware buttons have our windows button flash as a notification light

vali20

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
I had one until last week, sold it as I have bought it off the second hand market in the first place, it did not have a warranty and during the time I used it, the second microphone (that used to take voice notes) broke, so the phone recorded only the right channel of audio and I could not use the speaker mode. I decided it was not worth repairing it, so I sold it off eBay...

And now, having to resort to my old Nokia E52 which reboots if I try to watch a movie on YouTube and has a whooping 60 MB of internal storage, I started to look for a replacement...

I considered buying the Lumia 930 from some retailer, as the prices dropped quite low ultimately, but I held off from a final decision, looking for some alternative considering that Glance was a big missing feature for me... or at least a notification LED, I cannot understand why Microsoft doesn't enable such a thing on the 930 via a software patch. It is not the always-on clock I miss the most, as I also wear a wristwatch and am used to checking that anyway, it is about getting properly notified. Every phone, I mean, every phone I have ever had, has had a notification method of some sort when locked, even the previous 1020 (Glance). There have been numerous times when I missed an event as I am not used to checking the phone periodically, I just let it aside, sitting, or I simply forget about it... Also, a thing I was also looking for was 60fps video recording, but it did not bother me that much...

So, I started researching, and also took a look in the Android world, only to find out that all Android flagships (S6, One M9, G3, Z3) were too expensive compared to the 930 (almost twice the price, while the value you get is not twice as bigger), plus they were missing key Android features they used to have in previous iterations or which I got used on the Lumia (the S6 has no MHL out support, the Z3 does not have OIS etc.). That being said, I gave up looking for Androids, and started wondering how could Microsoft decided not to capitalize on such big opportunity they have... Simply put, I want to buy a phone from them, but I do not have an option, carriers are discounting the Lumias because they are too old, and no replacement is available... this looks so alarming to me, I need to buy a phone now, because I need it in my every day use, yet I have nothing to choose from speaking of Lumias: there is one flawed "flagship" available, two mid-tier options (the 830, the 640/XL) and a bunch of identical low-end phones (400s, 500s, etc)...

Ironically, the phone which has Glance and internally speaking is the same as the 930, the 1520, would be a good choice, but I believe that it is too big for my hands... plus, it was such a niche product in the part of the world I live in, that retailers do not sell it anymore (I think it also reached EOL, like the 1020), and the second hand market is almost void of any 1520s, no matter the condition...

And now back to the answer for this thread: do I love the Lumia 930? Yes, I do, it was the best phone I have ever used. But not getting properly notified is a big downside for me, and it is the same kind of downside like owning a Ferrari which does not indicate how much fuel you have in your tank... It is the kind of flaw that spoils the entire package, you see, it did not bother me that it did not include support for USB OTG or MHL out as I care on Android, as those are just gimmicks I can get past them... And the decision of buying a new phone is so hard considering all the other downsides except notifications it would have: the stellar camera options (up to 4K with high quality microphones), the Windows Phone UI which is much more functional for me compared to Android, the square design which allows me to put it on a flat surface and take a photo using the self-timer, and many more... So, maybe I'll wait, if Microsoft ever decides to make the damn Windows key light up when receiving a notification, or enable the hidden LED many folks buzzed about on different web sites, I will buy the Lumia 930 again in an instant. That much I love the 930, and I wish someone at Microsoft would find about my opinion and give me the source code to implement the idea, if they don't have time to... And a legit question may be: "why not buy it and make a compromise?" - I did, I told you, I had one, but now, the second time, I don't want to waste money again, maybe I can wait 4 months, borrowing some crappy (I mean really low-end, but which can play videos) Android phone from one of my relatives, waiting for the next flagship which will cost double the price, but it would fix the flaw, which Microsoft seems not to care about... Unfortunately, it seems to me that it is always about ripping you off money, otherwise I do not understand why not implement a fix like this, it is not my idea, it has been suggested on User Voice by many folks, alongside other good ideas which they never look into... This is the thing I hate the most about Microsoft, I have the sensation they pretend they listen to customers, while in reality they don't.

So, thanks for making it this far, the conclusion is that I really love the Lumia 930, but pretty much hate Microsoft right now for their behavior... Pretty much like my country, I love the country, yet hate the way politicians rule it over... I think I am discovering life, y'know =))

finbaar

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I hate glance and turned it off on my 830. I always make sure all LEDs are off on my Android phones as well. So the lack of these is a big plus for me.
I love the speed, camera and screen of the 930. Also it could stop a heavy calibre round it is so thick - try that with an iPhone.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

jason hendry1

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
ilove this phone too especially with 8.1 on it. Just wish it was either 64gig or had a sd slot and even glance but cant complain think its awesome too.

Gautam Kabiraj

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely love my 930, no complains here. What most of the people complain about seems non-issue to me.

Battery:
I don't feel like saying it's got poor battery life and I disagree with those who complain it either, given it lasts a whole day with medium usage, boasting a 1080p display with those beasty configuration; CPU, GPU and RAM. I charge my phone overnight (using Nokia DT-900 Qi) and leave home by 7am. I often take class notes, surf the web (WhatsApp, Twitter, News, WC, TOI etc), check Dev Center app about 50 times, watch some videos and listen to music on daily basis for 1.5-2 hours (on my way back home). I'm a heavy audiophile, too. At the end of the day, the battery comes down to 20-30%. Enough juice for me. I also noticed that Denim update magically improved the battery life further by 30-40%. Maybe those who complain haven't got the update yet, or their piece is unfortunately defective.

Display / Glance:
I personally prefer IPS over AMOLED / LCD. Just personal preference. But even if so, a 1080p, 441 DPI with enhanced color profile and Nokia ClearBlack Technology makes it up for me! The display is simply gorgeous. It's something you can't find on a different phone. Pictures turn alive when you watch it for real. About Glance? Well, you can't really miss something you've never used, can you? I've had a 520 before I got my 930, hence I don't really know what having Glance feels like. But I do get the idea though, a lot of people seems to miss it, so it must be worth a miss ;)

Storage:
Depends on the type of user you are. If you're a heavy multimedia user or mobile gamer, 32GB (28.9 GB actually) goes faster than you may think it does. But then, there's OneDrive for all your Multimedia backup (images/videos/audios). Also, I see no practical use of carrying along all your photo albums in your pocket unless you absolutely need to. Again, I don't see any such need. In my case, I've 12 big games on my phone and 6 small games (Had to take some advantage of the GPU) and some other stuff (about 200 songs, videos) and I'm still left with 15.7 GB untouched.

Camera:
20MP Carl Zeiss PureView. Long story short, it's a mini DSLR in your pocket. Period.

Performance:
I'm yet to see a single lag on my phone. No hiccups, no crashes, nothing. But yeah, then there are those annoying "Resuming..." and "Loading..." screens that appear in some selected apps which I believe to be the apps' or software's fault. Gaming is a pleasure on the device, although you may burn your hands from prolong gaming. The metal chases acts as a heatsink for the GPU, lol! (Gloves/Phone back cover recommended while gaming)

The bottom line is, I truly love :love: my 930 and I don't see why it's not a, so called, "True flagship".

Harwant Sethi1

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had my orange 930 for about 8 months now, and I have to say, I'm actually in love with the thing. That's coming from the 920, mind you. It improves upon the older phone in nearly every thinkable way, nothing I need to state, we all know how beautiful the screen really is (I don't care what anyone says, AMOLED destroys IPS LCD any day) and how fantastic the camera is, especially with the denim update.

Admittedly, durability is down from the 920, aluminum is a soft metal and it's easy to ding up the gorgeous body if you're not careful. I hate cases so my phone has a few battle scars. But the familiar Nokia heft... reassuring but not obnoxious... is what keeps me coming back day after day. No, the sharp corners aren't comfortable to hold, and yes it digs into your ear when you talk on it, but these little flaws are what give it character. The overheating issue is on Qualcomm, every high end Android and Windows Phone has heat issues due to the powerful, yet power-hungry, processors they make. I'm still glad it's an 800 and not that damn Tegra 4 they put in my Surface 2 under the hood, though. Should've bought the Lumia 2520 for my tablet. Oh well.

It's pretty, it's fast, it's tough (though not as tough as the 920 was), and most of all, it has one hell of a camera. As far as the 1520 goes, it's really just a bigger 930, at least in practice. I do dig the polycarbonate body of the larger device, but for all intents and purposes the 930 is identical and remains a manageable size, unlike the goliath 1520. I love this phone.

And, you know what? It' a freaking NOKIA guys. Not a Microsoft. I'm sorry, Iove my Surface and I like Microsoft, but they have no cachet in the phone business. Surface works because Microsoft makes Windows, and Windows is for computers/tablets. That's fine. And the Surface tablets represent the best looking devices in the segment, hands down. But phones... Nokia is synonymous with phones. And Ballmer and Elop RUINED THAT. I'll never get rid of my 930. Every time I pull it from a pocket, I'm doing so with that big bold NOKIA logo looking at me from the top right corner of the screen. And that alone makes this phone worth buying, something I'm not ever going to be able so say about a Microsoft Lumia.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had my orange 930 for about 8 months now, and I have to say, I'm actually in love with the thing. That's coming from the 920, mind you. It improves upon the older phone in nearly every thinkable way, nothing I need to state, we all know how beautiful the screen really is (I don't care what anyone says, AMOLED destroys IPS LCD any day) and how fantastic the camera is, especially with the denim update.

Admittedly, durability is down from the 920, aluminum is a soft metal and it's easy to ding up the gorgeous body if you're not careful. I hate cases so my phone has a few battle scars. But the familiar Nokia heft... reassuring but not obnoxious... is what keeps me coming back day after day. No, the sharp corners aren't comfortable to hold, and yes it digs into your ear when you talk on it, but these little flaws are what give it character. The overheating issue is on Qualcomm, every high end Android and Windows Phone has heat issues due to the powerful, yet power-hungry, processors they make. I'm still glad it's an 800 and not that damn Tegra 4 they put in my Surface 2 under the hood, though. Should've bought the Lumia 2520 for my tablet. Oh well.

It's pretty, it's fast, it's tough (though not as tough as the 920 was), and most of all, it has one hell of a camera. As far as the 1520 goes, it's really just a bigger 930, at least in practice. I do dig the polycarbonate body of the larger device, but for all intents and purposes the 930 is identical and remains a manageable size, unlike the goliath 1520. I love this phone.

And, you know what? It' a freaking NOKIA guys. Not a Microsoft. I'm sorry, Iove my Surface and I like Microsoft, but they have no cachet in the phone business. Surface works because Microsoft makes Windows, and Windows is for computers/tablets. That's fine. And the Surface tablets represent the best looking devices in the segment, hands down. But phones... Nokia is synonymous with phones. And Ballmer and Elop RUINED THAT. I'll never get rid of my 930. Every time I pull it from a pocket, I'm doing so with that big bold NOKIA logo looking at me from the top right corner of the screen. And that alone makes this phone worth buying, something I'm not ever going to be able so say about a Microsoft Lumia.

Well Elop is gone LOL

Microsoft went trough some "leadership changes"... I feel like that was the nice and professional way of saying these people were "fired"... I don't think all those leaders resigned from the company at once.... I feel they were removed

jerkwad_robot

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Ive had my 930 for three days now, and I have to say I love it. This is coming from years of Android. Observations;

The battery is not quite as good as my Sony (amazing what Sony does) but I surely get through the day and evening. This is with music streaming, push mail setup for work, and browsing.

I've not had any heat issues, but it does get noticeably warm when running ie with a bunch of tabs, moderate gaming or when its on the charger. No worse than my Xperia Z3...

Screen is amazing. No color or tap issues.

Camera hasn't gotten a workout... yet.

Firdaus Edymainoe

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the orange Nokia Lumia 930 with the black frame. I love it very much, especially the design. It simply looks beautiful and elegant. My favourite is to put my phone on a white paper. The orange colour is reflected and out gives like a glow kind looks.

Windows Phone is great! I love live tiles! Glance-able information? Definitely! Oh, the camera! It is top notch and Lumia Denim just made it better. The audio recording is splendid.

Cortana and Quiet Hours are wonderful! Everything about the UI is just liquid smooth. Can't wait to have Windows 10 Mobile on this. I have been using the Developer Preview on my Lumia 620 and it is gorgeous!

Once Windows 10 Mobile reaches Nokia Lumia 930, I'll love my phone even more!

Julian_C

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I love 930 but I am thinking about to sell it... I am not quite sure for now, but let me explain:

Device: I really love the device, nice built quality and so on, but like many others my screen is also a little bit lifted (at the lower corner) which causes that sometimes the proximity sensor won't work or the touch is unresponsive. But which is the greater drawback for me, is tat Nokia/Microsoft is not able to make a proper flagship device = A high spec device with removable battery and sd card support (I experience this since 2 years (I already had the 920 and the 1020 only the 820 was the exception but it was worse than the 920)). I have the 930 nearly 11 months now (I bought it when it came out) and I am tired of waiting another 4-5 months for a new flagship... I am not willing anymore to make any compromises: good specs OR good extensibility (no the 1520 is to big).

Software:
As already mentioned I had several Lumias and therefore I am a WP8 user since ~2.5yrs (when it came out) and "lived" therefore the evolving of the platform. And I am disappointed and tired of waiting. Until now I don't really like the new WM10 approach (design, ...) and the removed features which I really liked about Windows Phone (HUBS!, Integrated Fb messenger in sms, ...). So my expectations are more worse than good. And the most important aspect: APPS!! After 2.5yrs I am tired of using official apps in a minor quality or to search "alternatives", slow updates or even not having it. This is especially true for minor or local apps where.

Conclusion:
I really love the platform but I am not willing to make compromises anymore or to renounce on features/apps. Therefore I think I am going for a Galaxy S5 in the next weeks. Why? This years flagships are WAY to expensive or bad (Galaxy S6 no SD, Removable Battery). The Galaxy S5 has nearly the same size/screen, a removable battery, SD-card support, waterproof (it's nice, why not?), nearly equivalent camera (no OIS or low light capabilities but phase autofocus) and last but least, it has all the apps and it doesn't cost a lot anymore.

What do you think about? Maybe when WM10 is as good as promised with a proper flagship device... Let's talk about again but this will happen at earliest in 5 months

sweeperdk

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I love my 930, even though it's my dedicated backup.

I think I'll rephrase that, to give a bit of insight.

I regularly use an iPhone 6, a Note 3 and a 930. They more or less get equal usage.

I can happily say, that if they fixed one single thing with the 930, then I'd be all over it: The quality of apps.

I'm flabergasted that the quality of 3rd party apps for WP is still of fairly low quality. I mean, even the big ones are sub-par. Take Facebook or Instagram for instance. Yes, they work. But that's about it. There is no smoothness or quality as seen on other OS'es.

But the build quality of the 930, the UI... Love it! I'd just like better quality apps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes