Lumia 930 Screen Flickering

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Can any 930 users expand on the screen flickering issue reported in some of the forums. Like when it flickers, how often, how annoying,etc. I am thinking about buying a 930 and want to know to recognize the screen flickering so I know if i need to request a replacement. Thanks in advance.

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
It happens extremely rarely and is almost unnoticeable. It lasts less than a second and will certainly not impact usage. It is literally like a micro-stutter, but only the display goes black.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
It happens extremely rarely and is almost unnoticeable. It lasts less than a second and will certainly not impact usage. It is literally like a micro-stutter, but only the display goes black.
Does it seem like a problem that can be resolved with a software fix? I am contemplating either the 830 and the 930 and am really leaning toward the 930 currently.

Tonio78

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Got mine a couple of months ago and think I saw it for the first time today. Never had it before.
I was on a very slow Edge connection when it occurred.

Via Tapatalk de mon splendide Lumia 930

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
If you search the forums you'll find a few different descriptions. Some describe persistent flickering, making the screen look like it is pulsing brighter and darker. The best analogy is an old CRT screen out of sync. The cause seems to be the 2G/EDGE radio interfering with the screen. If you live in an area where you will not have HSPA/H+ or LTE, this might be a concern. This happened to me when I was in parts of Italy and it was pretty annoying, but hasn't happened since I got back to the US (I'm using my 930 on AT&T).

Others report the screen flashing black for a 10th of a second. I don't think I've ever experienced this. Sometimes, when viewing content on a bright page, the screen seems to 'flash' when it redraws - like when an ad gets changed on a mostly white web page, but the whole screen redraws not just the ad.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I would be using this on T-Mobile in the US. I have done lots of reading through the forums and never really understood what was meant by screen flickering. I will have to pay attention to see if I am ever dropping down to edge around where I live.

Gautam Kabiraj

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I never had any such issue like what others have reported. I had a different issue though (about two months ago, got fixed by now). Whenever I tried unlocking the lockscreen, the blacks would look a little greenish for a sec (even less than a second) and the browns would look reddish. But then it was only at the lock screen, worth noticing. After some software updates it got fixed. Heck, I didn't even note which update fixed it. Other than that I never had any trouble with the screen. I've used EDGE and HSPA/3G (but not LTE), all worked fine.

chris_gt

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Another 930 with no issues here. Difference in speed coming from a 925 is very noticeable.

Both 830 and 930 are nice phones. But on the 930 resuming/loading screens are minimized by the faster SOC. Those were one of the things that annoyed me the most on windows phone.

It's up to you if you want to take the risk on it. Worst case scenario you return it or ask for a replacement under warranty.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I would not hesitate to buy another 930. I am actually sad I waited so long in the first place because it's a better phone than the 920, 1020. What I've described above in no way makes me regret my purchase.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I would not hesitate to buy another 930. I am actually sad I waited so long in the first place because it's a better phone than the 920, 1020. What I've described above in no way makes me regret my purchase.
Thanks. I think I will take the plunge and order one next week when I get back home.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

I could not describe it better than this. I know it's happened on my 930 but was so brief and inconsequential I couldn't even tell you when or how many times. VERY infrequent. I use mine with a Straight Talk AT&T SIM card. You know you will not get LTE right? HSPA+ for me most of the time. Screen is beautiful. Love my 930. Also, its working very nicely on W10 10136 build.

chris_gt

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
So the wait begins!

I'm sure you'll get a good one, there are many out there without problems but you don't hear about them here since people rarely post about how their phones are working just as expected.

Hope you like it!

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
My screen never went black but there were other disturbances on rare occasions.

After all, there was nothing problematic, one had to call attention to it for others to realise them; I just wondered why these disturbances happened at all.

One day they occurred more often when I used my phone in a dark room and read an article on white backgrounds and then on very low brightness on automatic there I observed some flickering now and then but it was still rare and did not hinder me in any way from reading.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett