Notification light?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
They don't sell it in Canada and I am not sure I want to pay for another piece of hardware. My old N8 used to do it.

Btw - what do you use the band for? How are you finding using a smart watch? I am interested in getting one, but waiting for gen 2

Thanks,

Mr. V

I wear mine all day, every day, except for showering and charging. I have "watch mode" enabled and use it for my watch and fitness band.

I use it for notifications for everything but email. It is very handy to leave my phone in the other room and when a text comes in, just look at my Band, and even respond via my Band if I feel like it. Now that summer is full on, I will be turning on the UV tile and using it while I'm outside. I'm curious to see how well it works. I use it when I exercise and like the minimum impact the size of it offers.

I clean mine regularly and it has been holding up just fine.

There is no guarantee there will be a gen 2.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely. I use mine with an Icon and my wife uses hers with an iPhone 5c.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I wear mine all day, every day, except for showering and charging. I have "watch mode" enabled and use it for my watch and fitness band.

I use it for notifications for everything but email. It is very handy to leave my phone in the other room and when a text comes in, just look at my Band, and even respond via my Band if I feel like it. Now that summer is full on, I will be turning on the UV tile and using it while I'm outside. I'm curious to see how well it works. I use it when I exercise and like the minimum impact the size of it offers.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely. I use mine with an Icon and my wife uses hers with an iPhone 5c.

I think Windows Central just posted an article recently stating how MS says they are working on Gen 2

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I think Windows Central just posted an article recently stating how MS says they are working on Gen 2

It doesn't make any sense for Microsoft to not release a second Band. The first Band's sole purpose (and the reason behind the severely staggered release) was to collect user feedback and gauge market interest. A second Band is almost guaranteed in my opinion, as Microsoft has most definitely received lots of feedback and from what I've seen the Band has been received rather well even with the staggered release cycle.
Additionally, Microsoft has taken the opportunity and used the first generation Band to polish the software and add new features. That way when an improved, more widely released second generation Band is released, it'll come ready with polished, feature filled, intuitive software.
These are all my opinions, but I think it's logical.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't make any sense for Microsoft to not release a second Band. The first Band's sole purpose (and the reason behind the severely staggered release) was to collect user feedback and gauge market interest. A second Band is almost guaranteed in my opinion, as Microsoft has most definitely received lots of feedback and from what I've seen the Band has been received rather well even with the staggered release cycle.
Additionally, Microsoft has taken the opportunity and used the first generation Band to polish the software and add new features. That way when an improved, more widely released second generation Band is released, it'll come ready with polished, feature filled, intuitive software.
I completely agree :wink:
But alongside the things you mentioned, I would very much like to see some aesthetic improvements...

The MS band is much like the original Surface Pro, a black clunky chunk of tech.... Does this mean that we'll have to wait til Gen 3 to get a beautiful MS band that actually fulfills its every purpose?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I'll know more this weekend, but a couple of things I do know about the 930 compared to that article about the 735: the vibrator flex is on its own, does not look like that, and is too far away to have it; I really do not think it is on the headphone flex either, because there's nothing to that piece.

So, if it is in the 930, I am thinking it would have to be integral to the board near the proximity sensor. I have opened a few of these, and a whole bunch of Icons, and never noticed it, but I've never looked for it either. We'll see on Fri or Sat.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that info!

Can you retrieve all the info? Can you share it with your doctor?

I am interested in the 24 hour monitoring.

Can you answer a txt from it? Cortana useful?

Waterproof would be great because I am going to forget it when going into the shower...

Fingers crossed for Gen 2!

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I completely agree :wink:

But alongside the things you mentioned, I would very much like to see some aesthetic improvements...

The MS band is much like the original Surface Pro, a black clunky chunk of tech.... Does this mean that we'll have to wait til Gen 3 to get a beautiful MS band that actually fulfills its every purpose?

I assumed aesthetic improvements went without saying, haha.
I don't think you'll have to wait until generation 3, as Microsoft is doing the Band differently.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I know a lot of people ask for a simple flashing notification light as they are used to with their older dumber phones but it puts me in mind of the 80/20 rule used for acquiring new systems and devices: If something meets 80% of your requirements then change your way of working to adapt to the 20% that is does not meet rather than spending a lot more time and effort in a futile and expensive attempt to hit that utopian 100%.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The 920 is capable of doing the breathing Windows button animation, I guess Microsoft should really consider adding that functionality for missed notifications to the 930 and other supporting devices.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
By "ghost taps" I mean, when using your device does it register touches on its own? As in while using the device will it randomly select things & scroll by itself
Infrequently it will register a tap as I'm scrolling over something. It has never scrolled on its own.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Very possible. I may have missed that article.

The Band was meant to be a springboard for other OEMs to partner with MS. I believe the original thought behind the Band was to show off what can be incorporated in a fitness band and the software. The Band was such a hit, it completely caught MS off-guard. I think a gen 2 makes sense and even if they don't release a gen 2, mine works really well.

Thanks for that info!

Can you retrieve all the info? Can you share it with your doctor?

I am interested in the 24 hour monitoring.

Can you answer a txt from it? Cortana useful?

Waterproof would be great because I am going to forget it when going into the shower...

Fingers crossed for Gen 2!

Yes, you can retrieve all the info. Yes you can share the info with your dr.

24hr monitoring I'm guessing you are referring to heart rate. No, it doesn't continually monitor 24/7, but instead takes a sample every "x" minutes each hour. This is fine, otherwise the battery would not be able to keep up.

Yes I can text via the onboard keyboard or Cortana due to the integration with my Windows phone. My wife on her iphone cannot do either.

Cortana useful? Yes, when I remember, lol.

Depending on how much use you put it through each day, simply put it on the charger when you get ready to shower. I haven't forgotten yet and got in the shower with it on.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
..I would very much like to see some aesthetic improvements...

The MS band is much like the original Surface Pro, a black clunky chunk of tech....

That is actually subjective to the individual. I'm not going for GQ while I'm wearing my Band. If I need to be dressed up for some really special occasion, then I can break out a watch. I'm not bothered by the design. For the amount of sensors incorporated into the Band, at some point you have to be realistic about how small the Band can be designed.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
That is actually subjective to the individual. I'm not going for GQ while I'm wearing my Band. If I need to be dressed up for some really special occasion, then I can break out a watch. I'm not bothered by the design. For the amount of sensors incorporated into the Band, at some point you have to be realistic about how small the Band can be designed.

I wasn't necessarily speaking only of thickness. I can understand why it came off that way due to my choice of adjectives, but I was more so saying the all around looks... For instance, the apple watch is very presentable and premium looking and it is thick also.

I understand going for a niche, design that will appeal to a very specific set of ppl would be bad ( like a leather body, or some other type of special stuff ), which is why they should go for something minimalistic, yet still stylish, like the Surface Pro 3, or any modern Apple product

Also the bands should be swappable for different materials, textures, and colors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb