Notification light?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Does the Lumia 930 have a notification light?

I keep my phone in silent mode at work, and the screen is set to time out after a minute to preserver battery light.

However, I have no idea if I get a message, unless I actually unlock my phone and check for messages.

My old N8 had a flashing light by the press able button. So I would know if a new message came in...

Any chance there is a non used led or some clever screen blink that could be done?

Thanks,

Mr. V

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Rather than a simple notification light that tells you something needs attention you now get more detailed notifications which pop up as toast messages and make a sound and can also be set to leave a notification symbol on the screen so you can immediately tell if it is a call, a text, an email or whatever. If you are away from the phone and don't notice the whole screen temporarily light up as a notification comes in then using Glance in Peek mode will show you if there are any outstanding notifications when you get back to the phone.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Does the Lumia 930 have a notification light?

I keep my phone in silent mode at work, and the screen is set to time out after a minute to preserver battery light.

However, I have no idea if I get a message, unless I actually unlock my phone and check for messages.

My old N8 had a flashing light by the press able button. So I would know if a new message came in...

Any chance there is a non used led or some clever screen blink that could be done?

Thanks,

Mr. V

Get a MS Band

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
If you are away from the phone and don't notice the whole screen temporarily light up as a notification comes in then using Glance in Peek mode will show you if there are any outstanding notifications when you get back to the phone.

Not on the 930! As it's a AMOLED screen there is no glance.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't say the absence of glance is due to the display being AMOLED. its more so because the display lacks memory...

Both the 925 & 928 are AMOLED with glance

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
"However, I have no idea if I get a message, unless I actually unlock my phone and check for messages"

Hi,
You shouldn't have to unlock your phone - you can see notifications on the lock screen, and pull down the notifications menu from the top to look at the notification details, all without unlocking. If you set your phone to wake on double tap (Settings -> Touch -> Wake up), then you just double tap the screen to see the lock screen.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 930 indeed has a notification LED light, however, it is not yet active. It should be in the final version of Win10 when it eventually comes out. Also, Lumia 73x has also this LED light.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Rather than a simple notification light that tells you something needs attention you now get more detailed notifications which pop up as toast messages and make a sound and can also be set to leave a notification symbol on the screen so you can immediately tell if it is a call, a text, an email or whatever. If you are away from the phone and don't notice the whole screen temporarily light up as a notification comes in then using Glance in Peek mode will show you if there are any outstanding notifications when you get back to the phone.
Neither the 930 nor the Icon have Glance Screen. Issues with screen hardware, either memory or refresh rates (or both).

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Blackberry is the only phone I've used that had that. The Q10 -at least- still has it. The differential audio chimes/sounds are plenty for me; I only react to phone and text alerts --usually :straight:.

Ste Wilkins1

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Motorola have similar AMOLED screens to the 930 on both the Moto X & Nexus 6 both those screens don't have a memory layer, but yet they use the screen only for notifications that is based on software.

Microsoft could easily add a software based Glance for the 930 if they wish to into Windows 10, maybe they will once it released or activate the notification light.

Either Way iPhone users have been getting on dandy over the years without any form of notification light ect, maybe both Nokia & Microsoft thought that we Windows users would also be fine without it on the 930, well we would have if they didn't have glance on lower handsets such as the 640 ect.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say the absence of glance is due to the display being AMOLED. its more so because the display lacks memory...

Both the 925 & 928 are AMOLED with glance

It has absolutely nothing to do with AMOLED, in fact, glance was made specifically for AMOLEDS, LED screens was an afterthought.

I really don't understand why they didn't create it to support glance

Cost, remember Nokia was going down the hole when the 930 was made, AMOLED screens are much more expensive to produce (especially when you get into higher resolutions) and Nokia had to cut corners to use that nice looking 1080p AMOLED

Motorola have similar AMOLED screens to the 930 on both the Moto X & Nexus 6 both those screens don't have a memory layer, but yet they use the screen only for notifications that is based on software.

Microsoft could easily add a software based Glance for the 930 if they wish to into Windows 10, maybe they will once it released or activate the notification light.

Either Way iPhone users have been getting on dandy over the years without any form of notification light ect, maybe both Nokia & Microsoft thought that we Windows users would also be fine without it on the 930, well we would have if they didn't have glance on lower handsets such as the 640 ect.

Different methods, going the software route means the phone never turns off, which means battery usage is much higher, using the hardware route, its much more battery efficient.

And to answer the OP: Yes, the 930 does actually have an notification LED built in, however, it isn't supported yet in windows phone and is most likely to be supported in W10

anon(8141431)

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The 930 does have a notification light, but it is not used.
But Win 10 mobile will have notification light support. Then all your problems will be solved. :

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Some devices windows button blepping when they got charged after out of power before they can boot.

I have my 800 doing so. They can just tweak that one for notification right?

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
The 930 has NO notification light.

It has NO "unused" LEDs or any other things like this.
Some of its users have shown their technical ignorance while taking a pic of the phone and thinking that the IR diode used as a proximity sensor component which is visible on the photo is a "notification light". IT IS NOT. It is visible only because the camera registers its IR beam as visible light.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
It has absolutely nothing to do with AMOLED, in fact, glance was made specifically for AMOLEDS, LED screens was an afterthought.

Cost, remember Nokia was going down the hole when the 930 was made, AMOLED screens are much more expensive to produce (especially when you get into higher resolutions) and Nokia had to cut corners to use that nice looking 1080p AMOLED

Different methods, going the software route means the phone never turns off, which means battery usage is much higher, using the hardware route, its much more battery efficient.

And to answer the OP: Yes, the 930 does actually have an notification LED built in, however, it isn't supported yet in windows phone and is most likely to be supported in W10

No, it has none. Stop misleading people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05