Lumia 930 gets unusually hot when web browsing

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,
I have had my Lumia 930 just over a month now. I am very pleased with the device but have a few issues.

When browsing the web, the phone gets very hot on the lower right hand corner. With continued use it gets so hot that it is no longer comfortable to hold the phone. I have also noticed that when the device gets hot the battery drains rather quickly. This morning I dropped 11% with just over 10 minutes of web browsing, but that is to be expected because of the heat and most of the websites having a white background.

I have been reading up and found that when an OLED display shows a white background, such as a website, it can use up to 3x more power. However, when displaying white the device also appears to heat up. I think it only happens on web browsing because that is the most common task which displays a white background. When using apps which feature a prominent use of white, such as Flipboard, the device will also heat up and get very hot.

Is this normal behaviour and is there anything that can be done to reduce it?

I would appreciate any help.

Regards,
Aaron Graham.

msimmons803

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I have an ICON and I haven't noticed it heating up when web browsing. What OS do you have installed? I just recently had wp10 build 10149 and it was hot all the time so I went back to 8.1. How long have you had the phone? If not long you may need to power cycle it a few times. Also may want to try hard reset. If its under warranty I would have I checked out.

AlexHaasen

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Had 8.1 until TP 10.0.149. It's a damn toaster now but I'll keep it until the official release of wp10 hoping that it will be fine again like 8.1

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine under 8.1 GDR1 still is hot but not as bad as it was with 8.1. I am hoping that GDR2 comes soon and it fixes some of the issues including the heating up with the browser running that everybody seems to have. I am assuming that Windows Mobile 10 with Edge will be better - lets hope.

Regards

Infinidim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234