**Thinking of moving from my Lumia 520 to the 930 give me your best and worse experience?**

Status
Not open for further replies.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Just like the title if the post suggests, I am thinking of changing my phone at Christmas this year and I have been looking at the 930 and i like what I read about it, ill be going from a RAM speed of 512mb on my Lumia 520 to a massive 2GB on the 930. I'm also loving the front facing camera as the 520 doesn't have this feature I haven't been able to use skype or video chatting without twisting the phone so it kind of becomes redundant. I like how the rear camera is 20MP and its gotten a flash, flash is s seriously lacking in my Lumia 520. I'm liking the extras of the phone but i am reaching out to my wonderful Windows central community for an honest review. I dint want to stray from Windows phone so I would love to hear from 930 users with both your love stories and horror stories of the phone.

Thanks so much.
?ire

0000alex0000

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Only horror stories here... Quite a few apps still have scaling issue due to the resolution, like tubecast, mixradio, etc; completely freezes when u don't use it for a few hours, and this might last more than 1 week then gone; purple tint in low brightness; no glance; screen doesn't fit the frame, like one or more edges of the screen coming up a bit... I think there are more but I highly suggest you just avoid the 930 and wait for 940

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
So, I have the Verizon version of the 930; the Lumia Icon. It's practically the same phone, with minor unknown differences.

First, why the 930? New flagship phones will be hitting the market by that time.

The 930 is a pretty good phone. My only big issue is not having an expandable storage. 32gb is ok and with OneDrive holding my whole music library, it's not a big issue anymore. But to have that capability would be nice.

You should search online for images captured by the 930. Some are saying the 929/930 can shoot some outstanding images, even better then the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S6.

Otherwise, not too many glaring issues to report. Little WiFi issues, needing to reboot from time to time. And some Bluetooth problems that are pretty minor.

chris_gt

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Zero issues here. No screen issues, no reboots, no battery drains, no excessive heat (less than 920/925), no mic issues, camera is far better than the ones on the 920/925, but the 925 gave cleaner and better illuminated images with low light.

Having seen the 520 just going for anything north of a 730/640 would be a huge change.

Wouldn't wait for the 940, rather keep my 930 for now and get the 940 6 months after it's released for a lot less.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Beautiful screen. Fast. Does heat up occasionally. Battery is ok but could be better considering the screen resolution and the camera needs. Camera fantastic. I am a junkie for buying "the flagship" devices but having W10TP running great on this phone, I can see myself using it another year. Getting a good 930 seems to be "the luck of the draw". I've been one of the lucky ones. Very satisfied. Are you going to buy on contract? By Christmas there should be a lot more options for you

Last edited:

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
If you have been living with the 520 you will find any upgrade above the 730 suits you. In our house we have a 520, a 532, an 830, a 930, and a 1020. I think the sweet spot in that set is the 830 - slightly smaller than the 930, nicer looks and good performance. The 930 has excellent performance, is thicker than the 830 but has superior screen resolution and "Hey Cortana."

I use the 930 as my daily driver and love it. There are no issues that would make you regret an upgrade from a 520. A previous poster mentioned screen scaling issues and freezing, but I have not seen that. I guess it would depend on the app. But compared to the lag and small screen you are used to, the 930 would be miles ahead even with an issue like that.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Wow thank you so much for all your feedback. You see ill be buying from a catalogue company and can pay it off each week and its the only Lumia (for the moment) that it sells, how did you all cope with the issue of a non removable battery? Was the native 32GB enough as it don't support SD expansion? I listen to music alot on my 520 and the lack of an SD card is one of the drawbacks. I hope that a new Lumia get added by the time christmas comes round, its a gift from my parents so I don't want to be saddling them with a huge sum.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Only horror stories here... Quite a few apps still have scaling issue due to the resolution, like tubecast, mixradio, etc; completely freezes when u don't use it for a few hours, and this might last more than 1 week then gone; purple tint in low brightness; no glance; screen doesn't fit the frame, like one or more edges of the screen coming up a bit... I think there are more but I highly suggest you just avoid the 930 and wait for 940

Thank you for your reply :)

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
So, I have the Verizon version of the 930; the Lumia Icon. It's practically the same phone, with minor unknown differences.

First, why the 930? New flagship phones will be hitting the market by that time.

The 930 is a pretty good phone. My only big issue is not having an expandable storage. 32gb is ok and with OneDrive holding my whole music library, it's not a big issue anymore. But to have that capability would be nice.

You should search online for images captured by the 930. Some are saying the 929/930 can shoot some outstanding images, even better then the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S6.

Otherwise, not too many glaring issues to report. Little WiFi issues, needing to reboot from time to time. And some Bluetooth problems that are pretty minor.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Zero issues here. No screen issues, no reboots, no battery drains, no excessive heat (less than 920/925), no mic issues, camera is far better than the ones on the 920/925, but the 925 gave cleaner and better illuminated images with low light.

Having seen the 520 just going for anything north of a 730/640 would be a huge change.

Wouldn't wait for the 940, rather keep my 930 for now and get the 940 6 months after it's released for a lot less.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Beautiful screen. Fast. Does heat up occasionally. Battery is ok but could be better considering the screen resolution and the camera needs. Camera fantastic. I am a junkie for buying "the flagship" devices but having W10TP running great on this phone, I can see myself using it another year. Getting a good 930 seems to be "the luck of the draw". I've been one of the lucky ones. Very satisfied. Are you going to buy on contract? By Christmas there should be a lot more options for you

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
If you have been living with the 520 you will find any upgrade above the 730 suits you. In our house we have a 520, a 532, an 830, a 930, and a 1020. I think the sweet spot in that set is the 830 - slightly smaller than the 930, nicer looks and good performance. The 930 has excellent performance, is thicker than the 830 but has superior screen resolution and "Hey Cortana."

I use the 930 as my daily driver and love it. There are no issues that would make you regret an upgrade from a 520. A previous poster mentioned screen scaling issues and freezing, but I have not seen that. I guess it would depend on the app. But compared to the lag and small screen you are used to, the 930 would be miles ahead even with an issue like that.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I would. The only drawbacks I see are no LTE (if being used in the states). HSPA+ is the highest connection speed. No glance screen if you care about that and no SD memory card support. Other than that you have a great phone with the highest processor, a good size compared to the massive L1520 and the camera is excellent as well...

Carlos002

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
If were you I would wait!
September is coming Windows 10 mobile is ahead, 29th of july is almost here and we are waiting for Microsoft schedules of announcements so! Keep calm! I would tell you do it! I have a Lumia Icon which is the same device! But even that! Just wait! Maybe you can save money and buy the next Microsoft flagship! Who knows?!

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
If were you I would wait!
September is coming Windows 10 mobile is ahead, 29th of july is almost here and we are waiting for Microsoft schedules of announcements so! Keep calm! I would tell you do it! I have a Lumia Icon which is the same device! But even that! Just wait! Maybe you can save money and buy the next Microsoft flagship! Who knows?!

Ya I'm going to wait as the catalogue company usually gets new stock in around September so I was just inquiring about this phone in case they don't get new lumias :)

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I would. The only drawbacks I see are no LTE (if being used in the states). HSPA+ is the highest connection speed. No glance screen if you care about that and no SD memory card support. Other than that you have a great phone with the highest processor, a good size compared to the massive L1520 and the camera is excellent as well...

Yes the lack of SD is one of my concerns as I do use my current device Lumia 520 as a music player. I cant be using my mobile data for Xbox music out and about. With the higher resolution pics on it space could become an issue very quickly. :)

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I will close this topic as I am no longer interested in the phone mentioned, thank you so much for all your wonderful feedback xxx

fallback

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I recently switched from my 525 to 930 and I am so in love with this phone. It has better screen,snappier, superb performance and awesome camera. Although alot of people would gripe about not having an expandable memory but imho i like it better without it and 32 gb is more than enough. Battery doesn't usually last that much on heavy use, and maybe becuase I'm running on W10TP and perhaps due to it not being fully optimized at the moment but nontheless 930 is a very good device and probably the best decision to make coming from a 525 user. It does seem to heat up sometimes but as days go by it doesn't seem to heat up that much compared to the first few days since I bought it. Overall I am more than happy to have my 930 and I am a proud owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720