Should I go for a a Lumia 930 ?

Benji Gledhill

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently dropped my 925 and the screen shattered after 2 years of surviving ...
So i went to get a quote for a screen replacement that is going to cost 200? ... the thing is my insurance will reimbourse me the 200? but there is also a possibility that i could replace the phone, this is interesting because on a french website (Darty) the 930 is going at 300, so it would cost me no more than 100? for the 930.

What i want to know is whether it's worth it or not ? I was thinking of waiting for the 940 or the next flagship after that, but there would be no way i could get it for 300?...

What do you think ?

Thanks

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I got the Lumia 930 about 2 months ago. I absolutely love it. There are no features that are really tempting me to go for the next MS flagship. According to the rumours it is still a 20MP camera, 1080p display and 32GB internal storage. The processor is bumped up to a Snapdragon 808 but I don't think there will be any notable performance improvement in daily use on Windows Phone between an 800 and an 808. The difference would be extremely small.

I would wait for the L940 if you are interested in Continuum or want to use Windows Hello security features though. Other than that you might as well get the Lumia 930 while the prices are low.

I would encourage you to read the threat that I started some time ago relating to this very issue.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-930/353528-thinking-about-buying-lumia-930-a.html

Regards,
Aaron Graham.

Benji Gledhill

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Cheers for the reply !

I forgot about Continuum but although the feature looks crazy i'm not sure, for me atleast, that the bump in price is worth it.
I'll read your post and then probably go and pick it up :)

Are you running WIn 10 on it ? I've got it on my 925 but it's heating up an awfull lot especially with the 35+?C temperatures ...

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Ditto to what Aaron says. My 930 will be with me til the new flagships are old enough to be affordable. (if that makes sense). I am running build 10166 on mine without issues. There does seem to be a bit of "the luck of the draw" regarding hardware issues in 930. I have been one of the fortunate people who got a good one. The most enjoyable phone I've used to date.

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
That's great! The Lumia 930 is a fantastic phone and I am sure you will love it.

I don't have Windows 10 on my Lumia 930 yet. Would you mind letting me know what your experience with Windows 10 is like on the phone? Especially with regards to performance and smoothness. I would really appreciate that because I am not sure if I should install it on mine or not.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I say go for it... oh you already have, that'll teach me to read the thread before commenting. I received my Bright Orange Lumia 930 today and I already love it, I especially like that the charging plate ships with it.

Last edited:

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I say go for it... oh you already have, that'll teach me to read the thread before commenting. I received my Bright Orange Lumia 930 today and I already love it, I especially like that the charging plate ships with it.

A fellow Ativ S to 930 user. Remember all the flack we got as Samsung users from the fanboys?

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
That's great! The Lumia 930 is a fantastic phone and I am sure you will love it.

I don't have Windows 10 on my Lumia 930 yet. Would you mind letting me know what your experience with Windows 10 is like on the phone? Especially with regards to performance and smoothness. I would really appreciate that because I am not sure if I should install it on mine or not.
I had a bit of trouble getting 10166 on my 930 coming from 10149. Ended up using Windows Phone Recovery Tool to roll back to 8.1. Since upgrading from there it has been running smoothly. As long as you're comfortable using the recovery tool should problems arise, I say go for WP10TP. I will not be going back to 8.1. EDIT...I did not restore a backup nor did I hard reset when upgrading to 10166 from 8.1. You really have to give the phone some downtime when it first loads. There's lots of stuff happening in the background initially without any visual cues. When the phone is warm it's still migrating.

tanvrhakim

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
No major issues with the new build on the 930 here. The only irritating glitch is the camera button. When you press it, absolutely nothing happens. Lumia Camera just won't launch. Other than that everything is really smooth. No heating issues, better battery life. Loving it so far.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
A fellow Ativ S to 930 user. Remember all the flack we got as Samsung users from the fanboys?

I certainly do, I have my reasons for going with the 930 though and those are that the ATIV S will be three years old in December, no one but Samsung knows whether the ATIV S will get W10M and I felt that technology has moved on and I should as well.

The ATIV S will go to a good home though, my dad is using an aging HD7 so the ATIV S will be a major step up for him and the SD Card will go to my mum for her Lumia 630 as my dad doesn't use masses of apps.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Thats great that dad and mum benefit from your upgrade. Nice. Are you running 10 on yours yet?

Thanks, I've always found that to be a better option than having them end up in a landfill somewhere. I'm not, I'll wait for it to be released but I have been testing the desktop version though.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I've always found that to be a better option than having them end up in a landfill somewhere. I'm not, I'll wait for it to be released but I have been testing the desktop version though.
I'm the opposite. Comfortable with the mobile version but not computer savvy at all so haven't tried the pc preview. Looking forward to it though.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm the opposite. Comfortable with the mobile version but not computer savvy at all so haven't tried the pc preview. Looking forward to it though.

Ah, the build I've just finished upgrading to is a release candidate from what I can gather and it's looking pretty good. I have been following W10M and I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that I impressed with the battery life, first charge still at 50%, 21 hours off charge with 19 hours remaining :shocked:

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I have to say that I impressed with the battery life, first charge still at 50%, 21 hours off charge with 19 hours remaining :shocked:
Have you had a chance to play with the camera/rich capture/video much? My battery is not as good as my Ativ was but easily gets me through the day.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you had a chance to play with the camera/rich capture/video much? My battery is not as good as my Ativ was but easily gets me through the day.

Not much, but I did have a look through the options and set it up for me 2K recording with Dolby Surround is a nice feature to have though.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
It's a really nice phone, I myself thinking about going for it. But i will wait before the new Lumias come out so that 930's prices will drop :) AFAIK 930 is one of few phones that allow you to activate Cortana from sleep/standby, which is awesome. Imagine when you wake up at the morning still kinda sleepy, and instead of reaching for a phone, you can just ask Cotana what the time is it, how's the weather today or if there's anything in your schedule.
"Hey Cortana" is fantastic. Took about 30 seconds and I was addicted. When they enable that in W10TP, I will be so happy. Don't want to go back to 8.1 though, so will just have to be patient. BTW...930 prices are pretty reasonable right now. Great phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb