4G LTE support in US

ShannonKB

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
So I have read a couple articles today about how Lumia devices such as the 930 are receiving updates in India to allow the radio to utilize LTE bands and now I'm wondering if a SME will chime in as to if it will help our 4G situation here in the States. Maybe this update can be altered to allow usage of US bands and manually installed on our 930s? I really miss my ridiculously fast AT&T LTE.
Shan

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
So I have read a couple articles today about how Lumia devices such as the 930 are receiving updates in India to allow the radio to utilize LTE bands and now I'm wondering if a SME will chime in as to if it will help our 4G situation here in the States. Maybe this update can be altered to allow usage of US bands and manually installed on our 930s? I really miss my ridiculously fast AT&T LTE.
Shan

I think that was the 830 in India but I could be wrong...and it was to "enable" bands already on the phone, not to add them --- again I might be wrong :winktongue: BTW what USA carrier sells the 930 ?

tmoore71

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
No US carrier sells the 930. Verizon has the Icon. Think anyone in the States with a real 930 has bought the international version.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
No US carrier sells the 930. T-Mobil has the Icon. Think anyone in the States with a real 930 has bought the international version.

The only carrier that has the Icon is Verizon and it's exclusive to them. AFAIK the most you'll get is HSPA in the US on a 930, even the international one.

ShannonKB

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I have a 930, bought unlocked from TW, HSPA+ is the fastest I can get. The list of devices to receive the update does included the 930 but as Mr. Lebowski said, the radio simply might not be able to receive the signal. I assumed an LTE radio can pick up any LTE band as long as the firmware points to the specific band, as specific regions' devices have specific radio firmware yet the LTE radio in them all is the exact same chip. Since the device was not offered in US, why would Nokia/MS create radio firmware for it. I was more of curious if that firmware could be altered to point to US LTE bands, in the same sense as MS releasing updated firmware in India for their radios to pick up the bands. Hell, maybe it could be as simple as some cut and paste from a current US LTE firmware? But again, maybe the radio simply is incompatible with the frequency here regardless of software.
Shan

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I have a 930, bought unlocked from TW, HSPA+ is the fastest I can get. The list of devices to receive the update does included the 930 but as Mr. Lebowski said, the radio simply might not be able to receive the signal. I assumed an LTE radio can pick up any LTE band as long as the firmware points to the specific band, as specific regions' devices have specific radio firmware yet the LTE radio in them all is the exact same chip. Since the device was not offered in US, why would Nokia/MS create radio firmware for it. I was more of curious if that firmware could be altered to point to US LTE bands, in the same sense as MS releasing updated firmware in India for their radios to pick up the bands. Hell, maybe it could be as simple as some cut and paste from a current US LTE firmware? But again, maybe the radio simply is incompatible with the frequency here regardless of software.

If so, the 930 would be the perfect device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077