Thinking about getting a Lumia 930

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
This is something I've been contemplating myself for a while. I love the look and feel of the 930, but have not had much time with the camera to compare to my Galaxy S4. The 830 however seems to have more of what I want (SD Card slot, removable battery), so that's been high on my list too, but the screen isn't as good and neither is the camera. Currently I'm waiting to see what comes from the 950 announcement next month, since the price and features of the 950 will likely make the decision for me.

jerkwad_robot

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
I came from Android (Sony Xperia Z3) to the Nokia 930, and I like it. It's a nice phone, and overall I'd say the experience is better than Android. If you're a ROM flashing maniac, you'll miss that for sure - I do.
There is a bit of an app gap for a few apps I used occasionally, but all the majors are around. Mostly banking apps and the like.

There can be a few nagging items with Windows 8.1, but overall I feel it's more reliable than most Android ROMs.

Oh, I am on ATT... I've not bought a carrier branded phone for years, so I always wind up on the HSPA+ network, which I find more than sufficient for my needs.

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
hi and welcome to windows central forms ! I'm a 930 owner for, just over a year. To help you the 930 is 4g ready for Europe and not USA and will update to windows 10 but will miss some features, the phone solid in all departments expect battery life not to great. games will kill it very quickly, and heavy use will get 8 to 10 hrs use and light use will get you through a day. I would like to throw in the idea if you can hold on with the 930 as its replacement the 950 and 950xl due out later in the year.

Last edited:

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 940 and 940XL are due to be announced and launched in the next 1-2 months. These devices are built with Windows 10 in mind and should be a big step forward for the Windows Phone / Lumia range.

My rule of thumb when it comes to upgrades is this.... never buy new hardware in from July to August because it's almost guaranteed that the latest devices will be launched in September and October in order to ensure they make it to stores in time for black Friday and Christmas. This is generally true for Apple, Google and Microsoft.

If you can hold out another 4-6 weeks you could be rocking an awesome 940 instead of an 18 month old device like the 930

TheJackah

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I understand I should probably wait for the new phones to be announced, but honestly, I'm just really excited to use a Windows Phone and need a new phone as soon as, as my Moto G is slowly dying. There's also the added issue of nit knowing what the new phones will cost.

Posted via the Windows Central App

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If you just want a Windows Phone to try, you might be better-off just looking for a cheap 635 or something for a bit. We're only 2-3 months from the W10M devices, and there aren't any real guarantees that the legacy devices will get timely updates to W10M. On top of that, even if you don't want to pay the higher prices for a 950/950XL, their release will drive the 930 prices down, and you'll get a better deal on a phone that basically runs on 2-year-old hardware.

Also, if you go with the 930 over waiting, you CAN NOT get the Continuum feature, as they stated it requires the new chips to function. You also miss the option to go with the 950XL for stylus support. Neither is likely a major selling point for the average user, but I always find it hard to accept a long-term purchase that's already dated, such as buying an older phone model.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 940 and 940XL are due to be announced and launched in the next 1-2 months. These devices are built with Windows 10 in mind and should be a big step forward for the Windows Phone / Lumia range.

We're actually about 17 days (just over 2 weeks) from IFA (on September 4th), which is when the devices are expected to be announced. However, when WP8 launched, they did a September 5th announcement and a November 2nd launch (November 9th in America). So, it might be 2.5 months before the devices are in our hands, but it shouldn't be much beyond 2 weeks before we get an announcement (and maybe inside of 2 weeks before major leaks happen, though we know just about everything already).

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
So now its going to be an October launch according to various tech sites.....that kinda sux big time. Microsoft haven't had a flagship out in nearly 2 years. That's a helluva long time to develop a decent bit of kit. C'mon Redmond, pull finger and stop with the delays already!!

tommikovski

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I?m afraid that here in Europe the devices won't be released until early next year.
Especially in Austria you never know when a newly announced device hits the shelves.
So is MS really announces new Lumias in October we have up to 4 additional Months to wait until we get the goods.
The 920 and 930 were releaset 6 months later and i remember the time i had to wait and i would go with a 930 for under 250 euros until the 940/950 is released :)

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I love it that they are not coming with a flagship, 2 times a year!
I have the 930, and love the feeling that it still is a flagship device!

What if you get a phone on a 2 year contract, and are confronted with the fact that you have an outdated device within 6 months.....

tersagun

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks,
and what would you say about upgrading from a 920? :)

I'm using 920 as my daily driver and G3 for multimedia/Android stuff but lately my 920 started to lag a lot, Whatsapp quite problemeatic with the never endind "resuming", fast battery drain etc.

Would you say it's a logical upgrade, ignoring the cost? Is the camera really much better or 20MP vs 8.7MP doesn't make such a major difference?
I'm quite disappointed with the 950 designs so I guess I'll skip MS and will stick with a Nokia device.

Timo Riekenberg

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Last week I had the same Problem.
I bought the 930 and I have not regretted it.
the resuming screens arent gone but less noticeable.
Only the speed of the camera was worth it.

Both take good pictures but the 930 makes better pictures. but do not expect miracles.
The camera does not Take 20 mp Pictures. It takes a 5 and a 16mp Image.

Shiroi

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I just snagged a black gold edition last Friday and I think it was a pretty good decision especially after I disapproved of the leaked new Lumia models. And the price has almost halved by now.

PsyOr

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I bought the 930 after almost 5 years with android.
Have some missing applications (at first I thought it won't be a problem but seems there are lake of useful apps and most of them are 'copy paste' or bad replica of the original ones), it's not 100% stable as I expected, browser (IE) sucks and there is no good replacement, also the internet speed is much slower then android so sometimes I turn off the wifi because the damn slow speed, personally I don't like the AMOLED screens as it can easily get burning in (one of the reasons to keep dark background), and maybe the most annoying thing (I bet they won't fix it with WP10) - screen blinking, similar to the flickering but the screen blinking sometimes (screen goes black for less then second and back again), have no idea why is this happens but it's very annoying.
Beside that, its overall a good device, the best thing on it is the camera, with android I always had to manipulate the pictures to get them better, with this device I don't even touch it, just amazing quality! (uploaded a goal video from Allianz Arena stadium to Vimeo, after few days they delete it because they thought I shot the video from broadcast TV).
LTE is a bonus, 32gb is enough.

Overall a great device for the right price if you are not using a specific apps.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Camera has 20mp sensor, and takes 18.7mp pictures in 4:3 crop and 16mp in 16:9 crop from the sensor.

Indeed the camera sensor has 20 Mpix pixels.
And because it can take full (not cropped) pictures the camera sensor needs to be "bigger" to take 4:3 and 16:9 pictures.
4:3 = 4992x3744=18690048 ≈ 18.7Mpix
16:9 = 5376x3024=16257024 ≈ 16.3Mpix
5376x3744=20127744 ≈ 20Mpix

The "5Mp" photo you get because the camera algorithm reduces the file size "without" loosing "quality".

Manuel Meirinhos

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I bought my Lumia 930 just a week ago, on the UK as well, and I love it!
Wonderful screen, camera, extremely fast and reliable, and the user experience is so clean and beautiful.
It's my 4th Windows Phone so far, and every time I try an android or iPhone I always end up coming back to windows phone.

The reason why I bought it, even now that are about to arrive the 950's is because I don't want to pay that much for the upcoming phone but still enjoy a flagship experience. Just like an Apple guy going for the iphone 6 (or even 5s) instead of the about-to-arrive 6s.

I am really excited over the new 950's but the extra specs and continuum weren't reason enough for me to pay extra for it. And that is only my point of view based on what I use it for: no games, not much apps, I just need a reliable fast smartphone for emails, office, whatsapp, internet, camera (a good one), music, sat-nav, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077