Buying a used 930, what should I look out for?

momolo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I am planning to buy a used Nokia Lumia 930 after seeing the 950 and 950 XL prices. As much as I'd like to get the new Windows flagships their Canadian prices are close to a grand and I will have to wait.

If I buy a used 930, is there anything I should look out for and keep in mind?

Thanks.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
If you can get your hands on the phone... :

- Be cautious with extremely high temperature and battery draining that won't go away after updates or hard reset.

- keep an eye out for any severe burn in on the screen, especially on the bottom - this is an Oled screen phone. It's not very easy to acquire burn in but it can happen and the only way to fix it is replacing the entire screen.

- watch out for aesthetics, if you mind them, like scratches or anything strange on the back cover - it's not removable. Same for that metal frame around the phone, as it easily bends if it's dropped.

- test all mics, some people here had issues with those. I recommend the same for speakers and camera.

That's all i can remember for now.

momolo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I will be buying the phone in person, but there are time restraints so it's hard to test the phone for long.

-Aesthetics wise, I will inspect the phone thoroughly so that's checked.

-OLED burn in, I'm not sure how to check this out.

-High temperature and battery drain, I also don't know how I'll test this out.

-Mics, how will I test these out?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
The only way really to test for high temps is to do something intensive on it, like a game.

As for screen burn, go to a black internet explorer page, that's all white. Then you can tell. Screen burn is probably a lesser issue than discoloration due to overheating. You can get a brown or green stain on the screen if it's overheating. Sometimes these will do that on a wireless charging pad. If left overnight, it can burn the screen.

For the mics and speakers, the easiest way is to call yourself from the phone, then use it on regular and on speaker phone. See how the sound quality is on both, on your phone and the new phone. Sometimes the regular mic doesn't work, but the speaker mic does, or vice versa. You have to have the other person talk into on both, and see if you can hear. Do it the other way around too, where they talk to you on your phone, and you make sure you can hear, on speaker and not.

Check both cameras as well - make sure the image isn't foggy or anything - nice and clear.

You don't see this go bad often, but you can also check the auto-screen dimming feature.

Speaking of wireless charging - if you or the seller has a wireless pad, you might want to bring and put the phone on it to make sure it charges. If you leave it on there for about 10 minutes, you should get an idea of whether it gets hot or not.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa