The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-18-2016 05:51 PM
44 12
tools
    you have a broken mic 3or4 / 3&4. software/firmware/driver update Will Not fix the physically broken mic. denim killed your mic. trust me. use nokia PST and put your phone to service mode and it WILL definitely indicate that mics 3&4 not recording any feedback = mics broken. as found in several threads, it is a hardware failure.

p/s: I advice you to backup your stuff and send it for rma.
    I guess nearly everyone in this thread has that problem . Have u repaired Ur's? How long does it take. I'm in India and i don't think the Nokia care or ms device care here are pretty good. At least in my area
    11-22-2015 07:26 PM
    I guess nearly everyone in this thread has that problem . Have u repaired Ur's? How long does it take. I'm in India and i don't think the Nokia care or ms device care here are pretty good. At least in my area
    it took 3 months more or less because even the replacement parts were defective. I just hope you guys have better luck. finally due to parts shortage, they just gave me a new phone
    11-22-2015 08:28 PM
    it took 3 months more or less because even the replacement parts were defective. I just hope you guys have better luck. finally due to parts shortage, they just gave me a new phone
    Nd now even the phones are out of stock :3 :/ . So no idea when they'll give back. And yea which month did u give it was it before stocks started depleting? Idk if I can get mine repaired :/. Don't have a spare phone for using if it takes too long too :/
    Last edited by deepak12345; 11-23-2015 at 03:08 AM.
    11-23-2015 02:26 AM
    you have a broken mic 3or4 / 3&4. software/firmware/driver update Will Not fix the physically broken mic. denim killed your mic. trust me. use nokia PST and put your phone to service mode and it WILL definitely indicate that mics 3&4 not recording any feedback = mics broken. as found in several threads, it is a hardware failure.

p/s: I advice you to backup your stuff and send it for rma.
    Okay, thanks for suggestion. I've tested it today. Indeed, 3&4 mic don't record any sound... (SADLY) I see no other option, than visiting MS Care Point. Hope to get my phone back before XMAS.

EDIT: I couldn't stop thinking about it. 3&4 mic don't work on WIN10 while recording video and also in self-test mode. Rolled back to 8.1/Denim and found out that indeed.... 3&4 mic aren't working in self-test mode... but they do WORK while recording.

That's nothing new, I said earlier that everything seems to be fine on 8.1, and don't on 10. Decided to investigate further.

The problem is that 3rd and 4th microphones ARE NOT working while phone is charging. Otherwise both mics are working properly on 8.1.

That's why 3rd & 4th will ALWAYS fail self-test, because device is charging while plugged into PC.
    I have no idea WHY.

PS. Both front microphones are working well in self-test mode, especially the one used for cortana and speaker mode.... Surprisingly this particular one is not working while device is up and running.

Whole this microphone story is a huge mess. Everything seems to be fine with microphones itself, both front mics are working in self-test mode, both back microphones are working on 8.1.

I give up ;). It's so complicated that I wouldn't be able to explain this to people who engineered the Lumia 930. Thanks for all the answers.
    Last edited by Martsicky; 11-23-2015 at 08:23 AM.
    Julius Velasco likes this.
    11-23-2015 04:38 AM
    Okay, thanks for suggestion. I've tested it today. Indeed, 3&4 mic don't record any sound... (SADLY) I see no other option, than visiting MS Care Point. Hope to get my phone back before XMAS.

EDIT: I couldn't stop thinking about it. 3&4 mic don't work on WIN10 while recording video and also in self-test mode. Rolled back to 8.1/Denim and found out that indeed.... 3&4 mic aren't working in self-test mode... but they do WORK while recording.

That's nothing new, I said earlier that everything seems to be fine on 8.1, and don't on 10. Decided to investigate further.

The problem is that 3rd and 4th microphones ARE NOT working while phone is charging. Otherwise both mics are working properly on 8.1.

That's why 3rd & 4th will ALWAYS fail self-test, because device is charging while plugged into PC.
    I have no idea WHY.

PS. Both front microphones are working well in self-test mode, especially the one used for cortana and speaker mode.... Surprisingly this particular one is not working while device is up and running.

Whole this microphone story is a huge mess. Everything seems to be fine with microphones itself, both front mics are working in self-test mode, both back microphones are working on 8.1.

I give up ;). It's so complicated that I wouldn't be able to explain this to people who engineered the Lumia 930. Thanks for all the answers.

I think it has something to do with the grounding of the mics. some people have success in fixing it just by "short-circuiting" by plugging in earphones, some changed to a new mic and I personally had my mobo changed 3 times before service center call it quits and gave me a new phone. all in all points out to hardware failure *in my opinion.
    p/s try using a grounded usb cable (not every usb cable is created equal, the expensive ones are expensive for a reason) and try self test again. hope things will work out on your end. happy holidays bub.
    Martsicky likes this.
    11-23-2015 08:58 AM
    I'm also having the same issue with my Lumia 930. I've tried restoring to 8.1 then test the video audio issue (setting is Surround enabled in Lumia Camera) and the audio is working fine (all mics are working). after testing that everything is working, I've upgraded to W10M 10586. retest the video audio issue and found that the sound is very very low in Windows Camera and only one mic is working (near the mouth) . Did a hard reset but still the same issue.
    12-03-2015 12:00 AM
    My 2nd mic is totally dead now. Both on speaker and in-call. Tested on 8.1 and 10. Going to replace it. I can't fix it under warranty as I've dropped my phone and had to replace back cover on my own. 50$. 3-5 days
    12-08-2015 10:51 AM
    More numbers of faulty mic users are appearing now. Obviously many of them upgraded to w10 where mic problem goes worse. This is quite frustrating.

Sent from mTalk
    12-08-2015 11:23 AM
    About to be 20 days since i gave mine. Gave mine in a device care near me they sent it to the main one but the repair status still shows the phone has not even reached the main repair centre :/
    12-10-2015 06:04 AM
    I recently got a new firmware update on my 930 so that might fix the issues with W10M
    12-10-2015 06:21 AM
    I recently got a new firmware update on my 930 so that might fix the issues with W10M
    And did it?
    12-10-2015 08:06 AM
    And did it?
    Not sure as I don't have W10M yet, I can post the firmware version when I get home. Strangely though only UK 930s seem to have it at the moment.
    12-10-2015 11:11 AM
    Not sure as I don't have W10M yet, I can post the firmware version when I get home. Strangely though only UK 930s seem to have it at the moment.

You can tell it on 8.1 just by putting your call on loudspeaker mode.

Sent from mTalk
    12-10-2015 11:49 AM
    You can tell it on 8.1 just by putting your call on loudspeaker mode.

Sent from mTalk
    I guess he ment the firmware might fix the extra problems of mic that comes with windows 10 like not being able to record audio on video at all or not being able to use Cortana. That's what i think.
    12-11-2015 12:53 AM
    I gave my L930 for repair at Nokia Care at Koramangala in Bangalore. They tested it and sent it to head office where it stayed for 15 days and was returned to me. The mics now work fine. They said it was some motherboard issue which was repaired. That means, there was some hardware issue and definitely not a software bug. But it is not pretty clear whether they replaced the mics or just did some mic to motherboard connections. The guys at Nokia Care are not very knowledgeable. They also lost my SIM card holder tray.
    12-17-2015 12:56 PM
    On windows 10 i recorded 4k and 1080p and had no problem also on calls is working good.Maybe is a part of phones that had a problem or bug on windows 10.
    12-18-2015 03:01 AM
    To sum things up... Here is a statement issued by Windows Audio Quality team member on reddit.com/r/windowsphone

"Hi, Windows Audio Quality guy here. Here's what we think we know about the microphone issues on the Lumia 930.

1. The Lumia 930 uses several microphone elements that work together to deliver sound to the OS.

2. Due to known hardware issues, sometimes these microphone elements go bad and stop producing sound. When this happens, they don't ever fix themselves. So you are now in a situation where only some elements are producing sound, and others are not.

3. Different apps record audio in different ways. Depending on which element(s) went bad, and how the apps record audio, things might seem to work anyway, or you might get silence.

4. The built-in Camera app changed the way it recorded audio between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. So some users might notice that going from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 breaks recording video... and other users might notice that going from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 fixes recording video! It all depends on which elements went bad.

5. The only way to fix the problem, that we know of, is to replace the phone."
    chris_gt likes this.
    03-10-2016 05:37 PM
    What he is basically saying is that the 930 has known hardware issues with the microphones which can cause the OS not to receive any sound in certain circumstances.

As the 930 uses an array of mics and the OS picks the sound by a algorithm of different mics, then it depends on what mic is faulty and what OS/FW you have as to what fault you see.

Makes sense to me as mine went faulty when on Cyan, but after upgrading to Denim it was still faulty...but in different ways. I think Skype started working, but hands free stopped, although that was 9 months or so ago so can't be sure, eventually the phone was replaced.

It all boils down to faulty hardware which will need replacing.
    Martsicky likes this.
    03-11-2016 07:04 AM
    I'm a Lumia 930 user and I have a temporary fix for this. To record a video with audio, plug in your earpiece that have a mouthpiece to the phone and record it... It works and it solves this problem. A temporary way till we wait for this issue to fix by Microsoft!...
    03-18-2016 05:51 PM
44 12