Lumia 930|W10M users I need your help urgently!

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey there fellas! Can you confirm that Lumia 930 is NOT recording any sound on W10M?

I'm aware that there are widely-known issues with 2nd microphone that results in users not being able to record voice messages and use speaker mode... Still 3 on 4 mics are working properly.

I'm asking about video recording!
Every captured video has no sound since three W10M builds. No statement by MS/Gabe Aul.

Nope, it's not a hardware problem! Everything is fine on 8.1!

Probably it has something to do with OS itself (drivers) or inappropriate firmware.

Can anyone confirm & report in Feedback app/tweet Gabe Aul? I've already done both.
Waiting for your answers! :)

Last edited:

chris_gt

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Mine is recording just fine, just tried it as I saw a post mentioning the issue on the 10586 thread.

Just to give some background I upgraded directly from 10581 last night, didn't get any reboot loops and didn't hard reset either. I'm using the MS Camera app.

chevypad

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Chris - I've respected your comments before - so are you not having the surround/mono sound issue I've seen reported by a few others? The surround sound is excellent on my 930, and since stability and usability seems ironed out on my 635 backup, I'm itching to take the leap. I'm just concerned for the video audio quality.

chris_gt

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
No issues when it comes to sound on my videos. I did get just one green screen when playing the video I took, It did it the first time I played it for some reason. Will post back if I run into any other issue.

On the other hand I've been reading on the 10586 thread that another user is having this sound issue.

Videos I record using the Camera app have no audio. :-/
Lumia 930

I did not have audio with 10581 either - with WP8.1 and the nokia camera it works just fine - tested today.

Maybe it's a variant issue? Mine is a black unbranded one, started on the HK-000 rom and been on 10 preview since 10581.

WallOfShame

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Probably you should go back to Windows 8.1 and then do a fresh install of 10586. Many files get corrupted upgrading from one build to another. And the issue is rather typical for Lumia 930. As a context, I had the same issue and somehow I managed to get back to W8.1 Denim and I am not thinking of going back to W10M at least till the next build comes.

Last edited:

Guillermo R

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Same problema here. MS should post a software fix to reasign the mics, because MS Camera is not recording, added to OneNote not recording and the infamous Speakerphone mic not working. There are so many 930s affected, we need a software fix to use the other mics urgently!!

RealtorTechGuy

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I too have Lumia 930 and updated to 10586. Just tested video and there in fact sound. I device recover to WP81 then went straight to WM10 10586. Not sure if that helped.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Probably you should go back to Windows 8.1 and then do a fresh install of 10586. Many files get corrupted upgrading from one build to another. And the issue is rather typical for Lumia 930. As a context, I had the same issue and somehow I managed to get back to W8.1 Denim and I am not thinking of going back to W10M at least till the next build comes.

Went back to 8.1, installed 10586 and performed a hard reset :) that didn't fix the problem. I'm back on 8.1 now, and it's just fine.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I think that I'm close to identify the issue.

It's probably related to 2nd mic.

Explanation here:

Windows Phone 8.1.

*Phone calls working.
*Speaker mode not working.
*Voice recording not working.***
*Video recording (Lumia Camera) working - all 4 mics seems to be working perfectly)
*Video recording in-app (FB Messenger) not working.***

Windows 10 Mobile

*Phone calls working.
*Speaker mode not working.
*Voice recording not working.***
*Video recording (MS Camera) not working.***
+Video recording in-app (FB Messenger) not working***

*** works with earphones with built-in microphone.

The question is... Why I'm able to capture sound with any Camera app on WP 8.1 and I'm not able to do that on W10M?

I have to worry you, 2nd mic problem is widely-known. Even if fixed probably will affect you after few weeks/months. There are hundreds of posts on that issue.

Sadly, if I'm right that would mean that every 1 on 3 L930 users Worldwide will encounter that issue after updating to Windows 10 Mobile.

Last edited:

kanrakuuuu

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
I've also updated to the latest build and found my 930 doesn't record audio in videos. Actually, to be more specific, the audio it records is extremely low. I'm pretty sure I know why. I like many have the broken mic problem, and in 8.1 it means it only records the right audio channel. I'm fairly confident that these preview builds are not yet built for specific models of phones and so whereas with 8.1 the camera app allows you to specify different types of audio recording modes (stereo, 5.1, etc.), this one doesn't (maybe the Lumia Camera app still does, but we're not allowed to use that anymore). Therefore it's now just defaulting to some sort of basic recording standard suitable for all WPs, maybe even just mono, and annoyingly it happens that for some reason it's using the mic on the 930 which is commonly broken, so lots of people aren't getting any audio.

Hopefully when the official release comes they'll all be tuned to the phone models properly again so that we with broken phones can get partial audio recording back. Or maybe before that happens they'll update the Microsoft Camera app to give us back the audio recording options we had with the Lumia Camera 8.1 app. Until then I don't think resetting or anything like that will make any difference; the ball's in their court.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I've also updated to the latest build and found my 930 doesn't record audio in videos. Actually, to be more specific, the audio it records is extremely low. I'm pretty sure I know why. I like many have the broken mic problem, and in 8.1 it means it only records the right audio channel. I'm fairly confident that these preview builds are not yet built for specific models of phones and so whereas with 8.1 the camera app allows you to specify different types of audio recording modes (stereo, 5.1, etc.), this one doesn't (maybe the Lumia Camera app still does, but we're not allowed to use that anymore). Therefore it's now just defaulting to some sort of basic recording standard suitable for all WPs, maybe even just mono, and annoyingly it happens that for some reason it's using the mic on the 930 which is commonly broken, so lots of people aren't getting any audio.

Hopefully when the official release comes they'll all be tuned to the phone models properly again so that we with broken phones can get partial audio recording back. Or maybe before that happens they'll update the Microsoft Camera app to give us back the audio recording options we had with the Lumia Camera 8.1 app. Until then I don't think resetting or anything like that will make any difference; the ball's in their court.

Thanks for your input! I've reported that to MS on Twitter. They said that they couldn't reproduce the issue on their 930. Probably because they have a one with working 2nd microphone. Waiting for them to answer again. If not, I'll tweet all possible people/Lumia accounts on Twitter every day :D

It's not just me or you... Probably 1/3 of L930 users.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
PS. Lumia Camera Beta works on W10M, but if you try to record a video you'll see a message "oops, something went wrong" and app will close.

kanrakuuuu

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your input! I've reported that to MS on Twitter. They said that they couldn't reproduce the issue on their 930. Probably because they have a one with working 2nd microphone.

Yup, they're welcome to swap their 930 with mine if they want :D

Thanks for doing the leg-work!

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm gonna go give my 930 for repairs before I update to 10. Hope they fix it soon and also the mic doesn't die soon after being fixed :3 fingers crossed

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site

Already seen ;) I can live without 2nd mic. I can use earphones with built-in microphone when I want to use voice recorder, but I won't do that every time I want to capture a video.

I just would like to know why I'm able to record videos with sound on 8.1, and can not on 10. Still 3 on 4 mics should do the job...

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Update: Just checked properties of video recorded with MS Camera on my PC.

Audio Channels: 1 (MONO!)

Even old videos captured with Lumia 820 has 2 (STEREO!)

monedetoune

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Already seen ;) I can live without 2nd mic. I can use earphones with built-in microphone when I want to use voice recorder, but I won't do that every time I want to capture a video.

I just would like to know why I'm able to record videos with sound on 8.1, and can not on 10. Still 3 on 4 mics should do the job...

if you don't want to send for repairs, you can always get an external mic (I have one that I bought for my android tablet) and record video and youll get stereo oudio because when you plug in the mic, it will bypass onboard 4 mic array.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99