Nokia 930 or 929 on Straight Talk + LTE possible?

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I was considering jumping from my 1020 Nokia to the Nokia icon 929 or 930 with straight talk.

As of now i have an ATT sim that i think i can re-use with the new phone..

I'm unclear the difference between the 929 vs 930, other than the 930 is for att and the 929 is for verizon, but both can work with either?

If i were to get the 929 and use a verizon straight talk sim, would that not enable LTE speeds + mms?
If i were to get the 930 and use an att sim.. i'm assuming i would be limited to 4G and not have LTE (or if i use the att sim in the 929)?

If its not possible to get LTE speeds with either, i guess another model option would be needed, but there arent many existing ones that are better and around the same $200 price bracket (new).

Thanks in advance

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
The 929 Aka icon works on straight talk just fine using the Verizon lte byod service of straight talk.. Typing this now off my icon on ST. LTE and mms works great.

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The 929 Aka icon works on straight talk just fine using the Verizon lte byod service of straight talk.. Typing this now off my icon on ST.

Awesome.. thanks for validation.. i guess i just have to get a verizon sim from walmart to make this work (and port service).. not as simple as a sim swap from phone to phone but should work.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Does that mean that LTE is possible on the 929 (in the USA) (verizon or att sims?) via Straight talk?

The icon actually will get LTE on straight talk in the U.S with a Verizon sim as I've been told by many users here.

Although the 930 will not get LTE at all whatsoever any where in the United States of America.

I actually have an ICON listed here in the marketplace

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Awesome.. thanks for validation.. i guess i just have to get a verizon sim from walmart to make this work (and port service).. not as simple as a sim swap from phone to phone but should work.

I bought the activation kit with airtime and necessary sims for bout $60 from Wally world. Online activation was confusing but I hit them up on live chat and ST had me up and running in less than 15 minutes..

markm75

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I bought the activation kit with airtime and necessary sims for bout $60 from Wally world. Online activation was confusing but I hit them up on live chat and ST had me up and running in less than 15 minutes..

Looks like to transfer existing service i would just need this $0.99 cent sim card? i've already pre-paid for 6 months of service, so i'm assuming they just port the number over via chat or a phone call once this sim is in place.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Looks like to transfer existing service i would just need this $0.99 cent sim card? i've already pre-paid for 6 months of service, so i'm assuming they just port the number over via chat or a phone call once this sim is in place.

If you have 6 months prepaid with ST that's how it should work..

One worthy to note.. If you factory restore your phone or hard reset using St Verizon lte you will lose internet and mms. Don't panic. Hit St. Up on chat and tell them you factory reset your phone and lost internet.. They will fix this in less than 5 minutes. Have been through it 3 times on the insider preview.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte